Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2018 MLB

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Nope, Johnny Mize and Ralph Kiner each hit 40 HR, and Joe DiMaggio also hit 39.

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  3. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Apparently having an eagle land on you is good luck. Last time out Paxton K'd 16, tonight he no hit Toronto.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Toronto gets no-hit a lot. And they still only have one to their record:

Steib-stache.

5. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

Harvey to the Reds. That's an odd move.

6. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Went to the Red Sox/Jays game today, and Boston’s Jackie Bradley Jr. hit a 100 mph lined foul at my daughter’s head. We were just to the side of the foul net so I had a quarter second to block it with my bare hand and got a sweet, utterly dislocated thumb which I immedietly relocated (thanks to being in shock) to the dismay of surrounding fans. It was GROSS. The ball bent it back so my thumbnail was touching my wrist. *SNAP* back you fucking go.

And some asshole took the ball after it smacked me.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You were recording it, right? So, when you got home, you were able to watch the replay?

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Actually I did, but TV footage just shows him slice a ball into the stands. They didn’t pan to where it landed.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Booooo!

In the ever increasing desire by professional teams to sell every possible thing that can be sold, at the Braves ballpark now, you can buy a DVD of your appearance on the Jumbotron. I'm sure that's not unique in Atlanta.

11. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

By the way... how in the blazing blue fuck are the Braves not only in first in their division, but have the best record in all of the NL? I've not been able to catch many of their games up to this point this year and I also missed my best chance to see them live since the series in Cincy was really early this year. I mean, I'm not going to complain, but my expectations for the team this year were middling at best.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A new stadium brings in lots of fans, maybe big crowds helped motivate them to play better.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope. Attendance sucked ass in the new stadium last year and they did fuck all.* After so many years of winning the division, Braves fans got spoiled and complacent. Then, when the product on the field for the past 6-8 years has sucked so bad, the fans were like, um, no.

Their proper rebuild is starting to pay dividends. The farm system is stacked. They are getting good stuff from young pitchers and young hitters, and currently putting all the pieces together. (Solid play from Markakis and Freeman, with career steal numbers from Inciarte is helping!) I think they are still a year away from contending, and expect them to come down to earth over the next few months. An outside shot at a Wildcard slot, maybe. That would be ideal, since that would give the young guys a taste make them hungry next year. We'll see. It also helped that the Mets went into losing mode as the Braves were ripping off consecutive wins, and that the Nats are leaking oil.

*Also, a note on the stadium . . . it's not that great. (Personally, my seats were terrible, which I've written about here, and why I didn't renew for the first time in over 25 years.) The stadium itself has parts which are significant upgrades, but there are just as many that are downgrades from Turner field. BUT, and this is a big but, the whole experience is MUCH improved. Long term, it will be much better for the Braves. It's in a better location. Like, if the new place is a 10, the old place was a 2. It was just about the worst it could be. The surrounding area, the Battery, is great. Fun restaurants, a concert venue, shopping, a fan plaza, etc. It's now a destination where you can come early and stay late, and oh yeah, there happens to be a stadium with a game. Several of the other MLB parks I've been to have this, but Atlanta never has had that.

ETA: Also, somehow Ozzie Albies is tied for the HR lead with Bryce Harper with 13. Albies?! Keep watching that crawl on ESPN, as I fully expect to see that 80 game suspension coming.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

You should've gotten into a fist fight with the guy that kept the ball, that would've gotten you some air time.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I’m pretty sure it was a kid. It’s not like I couldn’t have taken him, but me gorilla-pressing an 11 year old and throwing him over ten rows might receive backlash.

I got a better souvenir: me making thirty fans scream when I put my thumb back in. My wife damn near fainted. It was pretty funny.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Quoting myself since it came up via rep, and since the whole public funds for stadiums thing comes up a lot. Turner Field (and the previous adjacent Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium) was not owned by the Braves, it was owned by the City of Atlanta. And, so were the parking lots. So, there is not a MARTA (subway*) stop at the new stadium, but there was never a MARTA stop at the old stadium location. When they planning the old location, the City feared losing parking revenue if they added a MARTA stop. Incredibly short-sighted, obviously. And, Turner Field was never built for the Braves. It was the 1996 Olympic Stadium and was converted to a baseball park. The transportation issues and limited willingness of the City to help the Braves develop the area all contributed to them leaving and moving to the middle of their primary ticket base. The Braves own the new stadium and the entire area and worked some bond deals to fund it with the local government(s).

*You could take the MARTA train to a nearby bus transfer and take a bus to the stadium. For awhile, the City had it routed so when you arrived at the Stadium, you were funneled and forced to walk through a bunch of vendors in Underground Atlanta. The City screwed the pooch on the entire relationship during most of the run the Braves were downtown.

17. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

18. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

He should've know better, but this is a PED?

Capture.PNG

19. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse

What get's me is they called up Gordon Beckham to replace Cano. Gordon Fucking Beckham?

Brandon Phillips is still out there unsigned. Last year he hit .285 with 13 HR's. Why haven't they signed him?