Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2017 NFL SEASON

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Can we all take a moment and laugh at the Browns doing the most Browns thing ever?

They agree to trade a 2nd and 3rd round pick for AJ McCarron, a man who's continued employment in the NFL is perhaps the best argument for collusion against Kaepernick. Keep in mind, Garappolo was had for "only" a 2nd round pick. Then the Browns fucked up their fuck up by not getting the paperwork to the league office on time and I guess they don't know how E-mails work I guess?

The Browns can't even be good at being bad. Oh, but Josh Gordon is back. The front office must be flying high right now. REAL high.

2. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't get it either, but people tend to let their egos get in the way sometimes.

3. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I like Hue, but if he thinks McCarron is a NFL caliber starter he's out of his mind. And the front office is to for going along with it. They passed on Wentz and Watson to accumulate draft picks and they have a good shot a picking 1st next year in a supposedly QB heavy class. Why would they even consider this trade?

4. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because Sam Darnold said he would rather spend another year being poor at USC than go to Cleveland.

5. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That still leaves Rosen and others. Hue panicked and thinks he may get fired if they go 0-16. They got lucky the trade was invalid.

6. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Maybe they've become self aware about the fact that even when they draft quarterbacks, they have a tendency to fail spectacularly. See Manziel, Johnny and Weeden, Brandon.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Two seasons of riding the bench in the prime years of your career is awful.

In any event, BB is going to retire. He's likely going out around when Brady does. So Garoppolo was going to end up riding the pine for a couple seasons, dramatically diminishing his value while likely putting him into the non-guaranteed years of his contract, and get thrust into a starting position with a whole new coaching staff. We have no idea what the team is going to look like in 3 years, so suggesting the team is built for him to succeed is silly. Their offensive line turned into a steaming pile the second the O-line coach retired, and he's not sticking around much longer if he retired once already. Cooks and Butler have their contracts coming up. Gronk is perpetually injured. Edelman is 31, Amendola is 32. They spent big bucks to acquire Gilmore who's not going to be around in 2 years if his current pace of production keeps up. This team is not built for Garoppolo to succeed in a couple years, it's build to succeed right now.

I also don't understand where this idea comes from that it's so great to sit behind a great quarterback. Where has this proven to be such a dramatic advantage? I'm sure it isn't a bad thing, but it's not worth putting your career on hold for. He's already had 3 years there. Being a great QB doesn't mean you're a great mentor or a great teacher.

The 49ers have a new coaching staff and new ownership that have been handed a significant commitment. It's as stable an organization as any of the ones who are desperate for a franchise QB, outside of maybe Denver who only recently discovered they were desperate for a franchise QB. I just don't see the surprise here. NE would have loved to keep him, I'm sure, but it was always going to be nearly impossible unless something happened to Brady. A young, starting QB is too rare and too valuable a commodity.

8. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People get that idea from the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Steve Young. I think coaching matters far more than sitting behind a great QB. Hell, it's probably more of a hindrance than help because a guy like Manning or Brady suck up all the snaps in practice.

9. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The funny part is, Favre was widely known to not give a shit about anyone, least of all the young second string QB. He literally said it "wasn't his job" to mentor Rodgers.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yup. And then to see Rodgers sitting with the kid on the sideline last night, telling him he was doing a good job, is quite the contrast. In some ways he shows signs of promise. I think everyone needs to remember who's shoes he's trying to fill. Expectations are high to say the least. They need to be realistic.

I don't know what the fuck to think about last nights game. I do think the officials had a pow wow prior to the game and decided they'd "just let them play" because there was some fucking horrible no calls. I bet they threw 5 or so flags the entire game. No teams play that clean for a whole game, none.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I mean, the Packers now has the same record as the Lions. 5 years ago that sentence would have been ridiculous.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I will say that near the end, Hundly was starting to show some promise... maybe a but too little too late, but I'm genuinely curious to see how he does next game.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And, then of FUCKING COURSE they throw a PI flag on the last play of the game to give GB an untimed down, to score a touchdown against Detroit, and that just HAPPENED to push the score total past the over/under line. But, I'm sure that was just coincidence.

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

Bridgewater added to the 53-man roster. Bradford to IR. Keenum still slated to start on Sunday.

The rest of the season is going to be very interesting for the Vikings.

15. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

What the hell happened to Denver's defense? Last two weeks they've been blown the fuck out, and gave up 29 to the Chiefs the week before.

16. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody else see Osweiler peg that guy on the sidelines in the head so hard he got whiplash?

17. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hundley looked good. Had some great throws in there yesterday. Of course, he now has a hamstring injury (should still be able to play next week) and both Jones and Montgomery go down. They might as well let Hundley finish out the season at this point. They're not making the playoffs anyway.

BUT HOW ABOUT THEM JAGS? They have been hands down one of the most entertaining teams to watch this season. I don't think they have a good enough offense to make a deep run this year, but that defense is for real. The prospect of a jags/rams super bowl seems surreal, but it would actually make for a great match up. #1 offense vs #1 defense. Realistically though, Bortles will throw 4 picks in his first playoff game.

I think the browns will really make it to 0-16 this year. They've been knocking on that door for years. Calling it now, this is the season they'll do it. Detroit did everything they could to give them opportunities in that game and they just find ways to shoot themselves in the foot. They've convinced me that even when a team is trying to give one to them they'll still find a way to lose.

#177 Kampf Trinker, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

#178 Juice, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At times I've defended Goodell. He's grown the league into far away the most popular of major American sports, and he's been put in a lot of situations where there was no way to appease both sides of a controversy. For player safety he's orchestrated a lot of changes, and people are either pissed off that it's making the sport less entertaining or they're complaining that it's still too unsafe. With the anthem issue ongoing, some fans are calling for him to penalize players who refuse to stand, but the truth is that will just alienate the other half of the fan base and strain relationships with the players, the majority of whom are black.

I don't think I'll be defending him anymore. While he's no where near the level of asshole Jerry Jones is(I'll come back to that), this article lays out a lot of the flaws in his management style. He's spending exorbitant sums of money on questionable activities, and it appears that more and more sees himself as the sole arbiter of discipline and as much of the league's decision making as he can control. And while I know it was rescinded, the fact that he even asked for a private jet for life as part of his compensation package is incredibly greedy.

The entire Ezekiel Elliot story reeks of Goodell saying to himself "I fucked this up before, and I don't want to look bad again, so I'm going to do what's best for Goodell rather than what's fair."

Long story short:
    - Elliot was accused of domestic abuse on multiple occasions. The accuser was a 'friend with benefits'
    - No mutual friends or witnesses were of much help to investigators. None saw any domestic abuse, or proof that it occurred.
    - His accuser lied at least once to the police, fabricating a story of physical violence and a mutual friend told investigators that she also asked her to lie to the police. In addition, Elliot's accuser texted a friend discussing blackmailing Elliot with a sex tape.
    - The accuser texted pictures of bruises to a family member, blaming them on Elliott.

So under Goodell's direction the NFL conducts a year long investigation into the allegations (Is an investigation of that nature really within the scope of the NFL?). The woman leading the investigation doesn't recommend any punishment. When decision time comes, the person who conducted the entire investigation is left out of the meeting. Goodell decides the evidence is more than sufficient, with the flimsy explanation that because Elliott couldn't explain where his accuser got the bruises she texted he therefore caused them, which is absurd from a legal standpoint. Elliott had a guess as to where they came from, but if he didn't cause them how the fuck is it incumbent on him to know?

Elliott may well have done it - that's not my point. My point is Goodell spent an obscene amount of money in area beyond his jurisdiction, and then made his decision based on his own past mistakes regarding domestic abuse (cough Ray Rice... and another with a kicker). Like many decisions he's made lately, it seems he wanted the outcome that was best for Goodell, rather than the right outcome, or the outcome that was best for the league.

I was going to write more about Jones, but this post is already too long so I'll keep it short. The man is a delusional narcissist.

The cowboys might be the most valuable team in the league, but he's still one owner out of 32 teams. He can pretend this isn't about the Elliot issue, but it obviously is, and I doubt Jones gives a flying fuck one way or the other what happened. He convinced himself (just like he does every season) that the cowboys were going to win the superbowl this year, and he thinks Elliot's suspension is going to prevent that from happening. He can't handle not getting his way so he's going after Goodell with everything he has. He's the Donald Trump of the nfl.

Moreover, he's picking a battle he's not likely to win. Goodell has made a lot of money for the league, at the end of the day that's what the other owners care about. Goodell is also 100% with the owners whenever CBA negotiations comes up, and they won't be forgetting that either.

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

Have you seen this article? It goes a good job of explaining why Jerry thinks he has a chance in hell against Goodell. There's no way the owners would ever consider kicking Jerry out of the league, so how much does he really have to lose by going after Goodell? Goodell's grown the league's revenue, but does he deserve 100% exclusive credit for that? Also, if the NFL pays him 50 million a year there's a credible argument that you're paying for past accomplishments instead of future performance, and revenue aside Goodell's pretty much fucked up every other issue.

It's clear that Jerry's just doing this because he's mad about Elliot, but his pretend point is a valid one, and he's one of the few owners with enough clout in the league to challenge Goodell.

In other, more important news, the Vikings beat the Rams convincingly today. Them and the Eagles are the best teams in the NFC, and along with the Patriots the top three teams in the league.