Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2017 NFL OFF SEASON

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by shegirl, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. He is unemployed because NFL teams feel icky about his politics, not because of his contract. The 49ers weren't going to pay him, so he opted out early to give himself a longer bid in free agency.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If he had Tom Brady or Matt Ryan's abilities, teams could get past the politics. So, he's not unemployed JUST because they feel icky about his politics. He's also not good enough to overcome it. Beat your wife, but have 20 sacks a season? "You're hired!" Beat your wife, but can't make special teams? "We stand against violence. Take a walk, buddy."

3. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep. His problems exceed his abilities. He also bails from the pocket way to early to be an effective backup. You'd have to change your scheme to suit his style and you don't do that for a backup.

4. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
  5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I figured that went without saying.

However, what you're talking about is illegal and not just annoying. There's certainly a balance where teams will accept a bit of annoyance for some amount of performance. To me, the Kaep thing is ridiculous - he is far more talented than a lot of employed quarterbacks, and I just am not seeing why he's still without a team. At least half the backup QBs in the league will simply not win football games if they're pushed into service with less than a big lead.

I know the reason for it, I just don't think it's reasonable. There are plenty of stupid/toxic people in the league who are bringing fewer talents to bear than Kaep.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Since I successfully called the Pats winning the Superbowl last year during pre-season, I'll try again.

Pats over Cowboys.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know - why is it illegal? You mean, the owners are colluding to all agree to not hire him? Or, he's being discriminated against for his views?

Also, I think he has a better chance of going to a team that needs him to be a starting QB, than as a backup. Same reason: the baggage might be overlooked if he's starting and performing.

8. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was - you were referencing something where a player committed an illegal act, so I would expect the requisite talent to overlook that to be more significant. Especially because they could be paying a player that isn't just a PR black eye, but someone who may miss actual game time due to suspensions.

In this case, you have a player who is simply an annoyance, and I'm surprised that no team is willing to simply deal with a minor media headache.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Unless they're worried he'd be a problem in the locker room as well... if he brings dissent to the team, it could distract them from being fully focused.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ah, gotcha.

I see your point. I guess it's because it's easier for owners to just do anything else. Like, if I were the owner (with input from Coach / GM), and I needed an employee (backup QB), what is best for my business? And, since it's my business, what is best for me? And, by best, that can mean easiest. The most probable use of a backup QB is some preseason starts, some garbage time, and maybe one spot start. Is that worth any headache - minor or otherwise - when there are 10-12 other QB's to choose from to fill the spot? I just think, taken one owner at time, for those that need a QB, they individually look at it and say, nope, let's move on. It's a path of least resistance decision, not a "do the right thing" or "social awareness" decision.

11. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kaep not being able to find a job despite being better than many backups on rosters today is pretty easy to understand for me. Think about money for a minute: Who are the major endorsers of the NFL? Who owns all the luxury boxes? Do you think those people are on board with Kaep and his idiot girlfriend's politics? When I look at it from this perspective, it's an easy business decision for the NFL and team owners.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I agree... they get shit on enough for not winning, but that other kind of shit they (Kap and girlfriend) bring is bad for business.

Personally, I'd really love to know Kap's feelings about his girlfriend's "slave" tweets... is he fucking pissed at her, or does he approve?

13. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

By all accounts, Kaep is a good teammate.

Anyway, I understand all of the reasons why he has been avoided, I just think they're absurd. The point of the NFL is to win football games. Nothing puts butts in seats like being a successful franchise. I do not believe that employing Kaep as a backup QB is going to cause these business owners to suddenly pull out of their typically one local choice for football box seats.