Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I suppose technically this belongs in the Sports Thread, but there's apt to be as much social commentary as sporting events.

Focus: Any and all things Rio Olympics related.

I bet before the end of it we see a murder, a country kicked out and an event rescheduled due to an incomplete stadium/facility.

Alt Focus: My father believes that the IOC should nominate 10 cities and rotate the Olympics amongst them, kind of like they do with Superbowls. I have to agree - giving the contracts to developing countries or oligarchies that don't have the cash or the infrastructure to support them is getting ridiculous. Thoughts?

2. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

t-minus however-many hours to the opening ceremonies and one athlete has been arrested on suspicion of attempted rape in the Athletes Village.

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's not ever a little bit surprising.

I'm just waiting for the dysentery to run rampant through the village.

4. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Andrew Bogut, Australian center formerly of the Warriors now the Mavs, has had some hilariously snarky and shade throwing tweets about the Olympic Village and their accommodations. Nothing like being at the pinnacle of your sport and competing in a mega global competition that makes billions of dollars...and staying in dorms that would make even a Holiday Inn Express look like the Ritz.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anything higher than 5, and the facilities will be in too much need of renovation when they come back around. (Unless you meant 5 Summer and 5 Winter.)

They really need to pick 4 and do that, but it would be a nasty / political / corrupt crap show trying to decide on the 4.

They should just do the Summer games in Greece every 4 years and be done with it. And, either pick Salt Lake City, UT as the one or rotate the Winter among 3-4 sites.

6. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I meant 5 and 5, winter and summer.

As for Greece? Eh. Too hot and too unstable. Anyone who's ever been to Athens will tell you it's way more like the Middle East than Europe. I'd vote for Sydney or the UK or some other first world nation that had a really successful Olympics. In fact, Beijing hit it out of the park eight years ago.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Im very happy that the citizens of Boston shot down the 2024 Olympics. That would have been a disaster.

8. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This whole shitshow shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, the writing was on the wall years ago. I agree it would make the most sense to consolidate the locations but we'll see if the IOC learns anything.

Either way I'm looking forward to the shooting events, Americans fared pretty well last year and I hope Kim Rhodes can continue her streak on the skeet field- she is the first U.S. Olympian competing in an invidiual sport to win five medals in five consecutive Olympic Games (aka she's a bad ass). Plus there's another rifle shooter that isn't bad to look at too.

[​IMG]

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like, say, Rio? Or Atlanta?

I realize that it's not ideal right now, but the first modern Olympics were there and a bunch of the ancient ones. So, if the push to singularize it was driven by the IOC, they could make it work if they wanted to. Done properly, it could actually help Greece.

Just thinking - You could even have nations build their own village housing in the designated area. Each nation could accept the Greek ones, rented to the Country that stays there, or they could build their own for their athletes. Then, that nation could rent them to tourists or mission groups or whatever during off years. The construction and tourism might help the local economy.

10. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I don't understand why you'd think Atlanta, Ga is unstable. Sure it's in the South, but it's not like the currency has collapsed and unemployment is at 50%.

Speaking as a female, I was really uncomfortable walking the streets of Athens alone. I haven't had that problem in any American, Canadian, Australian or actual European city.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I live an hour from Atlanta. It's unstable. Ha. No. I just meant hot. I do not work for Greece and have never been there. Just throwing out ideas. I'll take your word for it if you think it's a no-go.

12. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

He wouldn't have been tempted if those women wore their burkas and were accompanied by a male relative out in public.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It seems that the Rio Bingo cards are out...

[​IMG]

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is going to be such a shit-show, it's not funny.

Here are a couple of her follow-up tweets:

upload_2016-8-5_12-42-46.png

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Oh the bullets I'd shoot into her with my small bore.

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Anyone watching the opening ceremony? I'm 100% heterosexual, and I could be convinced to marry Gisele Bundchen. Any time they stop a show that 2 billion people are watching so you can sashay across the stage, you know you're freakin hot.

18. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Opening ceremony is bullshit.

19. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Bah humbug.

20. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds