Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016 Dead Pool

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I loved George Micheal beyond explanation and his passing is so devistating. Although expected.

2. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why expected? Was he sick? I honestly didn't know.

3. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, this is straining credibility and makes no sense. He was only 53. Was he sick? WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He had heart problems for years. He nearly died five years ago, had viral infections and smoked more weed in six hours than the entire Wailers band before they fly international. He also was a chronic impaired driver, he wasn't very nice to himself after he lost his boyfriend/husband.

He was a great performer and activist for gay rights. He got railroaded with that indecent exposure bullshit, and got revenge by making a song about it, "Outside".

I didn't give a shit about Wham!, but admired how he expressed himself with his songs. He also came out of the closet via the use of a song, in my opinion his best song:

Father Fugure, Faith, Fredom, One More Try..... He made some true classic songs.

#364 Crown Royal, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just looked back at the beginning of this thread, and yep he (along with Charlie Sheen) were my picks for 2016. Why oh why couldn't it have been Charlie?

My favorite GM song. My personal opinion for some time is that he had AIDS. So, therefore expected. This is not something I "know" but that bout with pneumonia is suspect.

#366 mya, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's a gossip site called Crazy Days and Nights that does blind items and reveals and he's twice mentioned GM having AIDS.

With a notable exception, I've loved most of his songs, though admittedly my favorites are Wham era. My nostalgia favorite is of course Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, but my overall favorite is Everything She Wants. And I'll never forget Careless Whisper as messing with my head as a young girl. Cheating is always universally considered gross and offputting, and here was a song and video dedicated to the perspective of a cheater.

#367 Currer Bell, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Frank Sinatra's letter to George Michael from 1990:

image.jpeg

9. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As if i couldn't love him anymore.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...r6k-tips-to-nurses-gigs/ar-BBxAcLw?li=BBnb7Kz

George Michael was no stranger to the headlines. His private life was often offered up for public consumption. But his philanthropy was not as widely reported.

Since his death, stories have emerged that reveal his generous, often spontaneous, acts of kindness.

The star often kept aside tickets for NHS staff at his concerts, and once gave an entire special concert free of charge for nurses as a thank you for the care they had given his mother a decade earlier.

When she died of cancer in 1997, Michael described his mother as a “woman of great compassion”, adding: “She felt much as I do, that we were living in a world that was gradually being drained of that.”

[​IMG]© PA Wire/PA Images George Michael performs with Wham! at Live Aid in 1985Lynda Thomas, chief executive of Macmillan Cancer Support, said: “We are extremely grateful to George and send our condolences to his family, friends and fans.”

Singer and activist Billy Bragg said: “His support for the LGBTQ community, the NHS and the miners marked George Michael out as an activist as well as a great artist.”

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

Follow
    [​IMG]Billy Bragg

✔@billybragg

His support for the LGBTQ community, the NHS and the miners marked George Michael out as an activist as well as a great artist.

5:52 AM - 26 Dec 2016

Childline’s founder and president, Dame Esther Rantzen, revealed that Michael had given the royalties from his 1996 number one single Jesus to a Child to the charity.

Thanks to the “millions” he had given, hundreds of thousands of children had been helped, she added.

The star, who lost his partner Anselmo Feleppa to an AIDS-related illness in 1993, supported the Terrence Higgins Trust for many years, said the charity’s Jane Barron.

“We are so saddened by the loss of George Michael. George also often thought of us to kindly donate experiences and gifts that were used to raise vital funds to help us support people living with HIV,” she said.

“Along with other charities, we were grateful to benefit from the royalties of George’s 1991 duet with Elton John, Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me. His donations contributed to a vision of a world where people living with HIV live healthy lives free from prejudice and discrimination.”

Michael was among the stars who produced the original Band Aid single Do They Know It’s Christmas? which sold more than 2 million copies worldwide and raised more than $23m for famine relief in Ethiopia.

[​IMG]© The Associated Press FILE - In this Dec. 2, 1993 file photo, George Michael performs at "Concert of Hope" to mark World AIDS Day at London's Wembley Arena. According to a publicist on Sunday, Dec. 25, 2016, the singer has died at the age of 53…He also donated the royalties from Last Christmas/Everything She Wants to Ethiopian famine relief, and proceeds from Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me went to AIDS hospice London Lighthouse and the Rainbow Trust children’s charity.

But it was the revelation that he was given to unplanned acts of generosity that gave fans comfort in the hours following his death. On one occasion Michael had contacted a woman who appeared on Deal or No Deal to quietly give her the money she needed for IVF treatment, TV presenter Richard Osman revealed in a tweet.

Follow
    [​IMG]Richard Osman

✔@richardosman

A woman on 'Deal Or No Deal' told us she needed £15k for IVF treatment. George Michael secretly phoned the next day and gave her the £15k.

2:50 AM - 26 Dec 2016

Author and journalist Sali Hughes revealed that Michael had once tipped a barmaid £5,000 “because she was a student nurse in debt”.

Follow
    [​IMG]Sali Hughes

✔@salihughes

I wrote in a piece ages ago about a celeb I'd worked with tipping a barmaid £5k because she was a student nurse in debt. Was George Michael.

5:37 AM - 26 Dec 2016

She added that Michael was was the only star on the celebrity version of the game show Who Wants To Be a Millionaire who felt comfortable gambling with all the money he had raised for his chosen charity, because he had decided he would pay back the money out of his own pocket if he lost.

He was, said Hughes, an “absolute mensch”.

Follow
    [​IMG]Sali Hughes

✔@salihughes

George Michael also put on free concerts for NHS nurses, when others were falling over themselves for tickets. He was an absolute mensch.

5:39 AM - 26 Dec 2016

Actor Emilyne Mondo wrote that Michael had volunteered at a homeless shelter with her, but had asked the others there not to publicize the fact.

Follow
    [​IMG]EMILYNE MONDO @EmilyneMondo

George Michael worked anonymously at a homeless shelter I was volunteering at. I've never told anyone, he asked we didn't. That's who he was

3:43 AM - 26 Dec 2016

Beatles fans and Liverpudlians also paid tribute to Michael, who bought the piano John Lennon used to compose Imagine for $1.7m from a private collector in 2000.

He donated it to the Beatles Story museum in Liverpool, where it had previously been on loan, so that it could be kept in Lennon’s hometown for ever, saying it was “not the type of thing that should be in storage somewhere or being protected, it should be seen by people”.

10. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

I can't even deal with this. The memorial parts of the Oscars and Grammys next year are going to need their own fucking show.

13. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

This will be the last one, right? Right?!

15. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

16. Malignity

Malignity
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm going to guess that someone big is going on NYE or NWD.

Maybe the Queen as she's had a 'cold' recently and she is 90

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Carrie Fisher? This one hurts.

I guess her and George Michael died for the same tangential reasons. Coke habits always tend to catch up with you.

18. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read an article after her heart attack that said she had just wrapped up filming for episode 8. This one really hurts a lot. Genuinely bummed out. This year needs to end already.

19. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gary Shandling passed on Christmas Eve too? Wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.