Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2016-11-11 WDT ... I remembered...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

... to put up the thread because @shegirl was off drinking or something.

In other news...

Here's to all the service men and women who've sacrificed for the greater good.

FOCUS: Remember.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If you ever get a chance, go see the Edinburgh Tattoo... it's phenomenal.

This is from a couple years ago, and is the finale with the lone piper... the video doesn't do it any kind of justice.

3. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Veterans Day has been weird for me for a while. My father died when I was 14 on Veterans Day in a car accident, so between that and remembering the fallen I'm almost always a little off on the 11th...

4. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Three of my four grandparents were veterans, and in the last 15 years the week between November 11 and 17th have seen a host of tragedies. I've always taken the 11th as a day of reflection; I don't go to any functions, make a point to take the dogs and go for a long walk away from everything, visit graves, etc. This year it turns out that Ontario doesn't see the 11th as a stat, so I have to work it. I seriously thought of booking it off, but maybe it's time to try and get over the superstition I feel towards this week. I don't know.

In happier news, Tim Kennedy's fight has been rescheduled from UFC 205 to UFC 206, here in Canada. Woo-hoo for some of my favourite fighters having bouts in the next few days/weeks.

5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

If I'm completely honest I don't like thinking about and frankly have some mixed feelings toward Veteran's day - though I do like and appreciate when either of my parents give me a nice word.

#5 Trakiel, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  6. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Didn't make the connection about the upcoming Veteran's Day until now: Making an appointment for my version of a Gadsden Flag tattoo.

It's something I've thought about for a long while, and now it's gotten to the point where I can't see myself not having it. I didn't pull the trigger for a long while because it has some violent connotations from various groups co-opting it. I worried a lot about people taking it as a political statement, especially here in the south. I'm not wanting it for that reason.

For me, it is a reminder of my step father and my wife's dying grandfather. They both served in the Navy, and the GF was flown on the mainmast of the flagship during the first official naval mission. My stepfather taught me everything I know about self-sufficiency and being a man. It's a great way to honor them.

The "Don't Tread on Me" motto is more for my son. Before I get ink, I always think what he will think about it. I have three pieces on me right now, and all of them have a little bit of a life lesson for him incorporated into them somehow. Don't Tread on Me is something I've really taken to heart, and something I hope he will learn from as well. Basically, someone's personal freedom's and liberties extend to the point where they start "treading" on yours. Whether it ends up that he's straight, gay, bi, whatever, it doesn't matter to us so long has he is happy. Whether he decides to be atheist (like me), agnostic (like my wife), kinda religious like my family or bible thumping like my in-laws it doesn't matter to us so long as he doesn't infringe on other's beliefs as well.... Though I am straight, I do everything I can to support LGBT people and groups. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way. I don't advertise that I'm atheist, because in the bible belt it's not a good look and leads to a lot of arguments and confrontations that I find rather pointless. However, I am confident in my beliefs and who I am (it took a long while to get to this point). Don't tread on me because of who I am.

American flag in the back, color, because I am an American first. Diamond back rattle snake (original flag is a timber rattlesnake, which was native to the 13 colonies), black and grey, for Texas because I am a Texan second. It's going on my chest right side, saving the area above my heart something for my mother and children once our family is complete.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In Canada it's called Remembrance Day. For 5 years I was an Air Cadet that did everything from sell poppies to be part of the honour guard. I remember it as always being cold, wet, cold, and downright miserable. It was a tortuous day of not moving that ended in hot chocolate and Bailey's while you hoped your hands thawed out.

Then I went off to Military College and I was a piper, so ended up doing a bunch of "lone piper" type stuff... and not just on Remembrance Day. Had a few friends die in training accidents and I was called on to do the piping at their ceremonies. It was tough to do.

These days I don't do anything public, but I do tend to dig out my old photos and go through some memories of past friendships and generally raise a toast to them.

8. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

I went to a military school growing up. 9/11 happened while I was there and I wanted to join the Service. Started having horrible migraines, decided that probably wasn't a good time so enrolled in college instead with the idea being to get my basics done while I fix the migraine problem, then join the Service and figure out college from there. Those migraines ended up being the brain tumor, and turns out the military doesn't want people to enlist who have a history of almost dying in the civilian world already.

The issue I have with Veteran's Day, or Remembrance Day, is that people are like "oh yeah, I'm gonna thank a veteran today!" and companies do promotions and stuff. Look, you put your life on the line for our country. For me. You deserve my respect every day, not just one day of the year. So Veteran's Day feels a little fake to me in that regard, a little forced.

If you see a veteran, or a police officer or a fireman or EMS worker or anyone who serves you, your community, your country, you should thank them for their service no matter what. Shake their hand. Let them know they're appreciated, every day of the year, and not just on one random day.... it's something I'm trying to teach my son. He's working on making the connection, still young. He says "thank you" when I do though so that's good for now.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Along that same line, here's a pic of me from 1987 when I was off at an official military event in my piper dress uniform... oh, how times have changed.

kilt.jpg

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

For me Remembrance Day is about honouring our older veterans, especially those that have drifted out of sight of society. This is the one day of the year where they can come out and remember what it was that they did for their country, and people can "see" them again.

All too often they are overlooked, but if you sit down and talk to them, and listen to their stories, you'll get a whole new appreciation for who they are.

It's akin to watching the last DVD of Band of Brothers, where the veterans who the series was based on talk about the various scenes, and recount their exploits.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My grandfather Murray was a raider at Juno Beach on D-Day. He killed a LOT of Germans, at least a dozen. My grandfather Jack was in the airborne but I primarily remember him as an abusive drunk who stole my father's childhood.

I only asked my grandfather about WWII once. ONCE. And after he told me, I NEVER fucking asked him again. You know, you think you know somebody. My grandfather Murray was always sweet and kind to me. So to hear him talk about stabbing somebody to death with the sort of casual grace a person would use to order a glass of water....yeah, you don't quite look at that person the same way again.

Our grandfathers were killers. Trained, fearless badass killers who went to and lived through absolute hell for barely any reward. No safe spaces to save you back then. A "Safe space" back then was a painless death.

#11 Crown Royal, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you wear shorter skirts now?

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Still the same, and still commando.

14. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My last combat sortie early 2010: Final Sortie.jpg

15. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The thumbnail makes it look like everyone is naked and I was looking forward to the crazy story. Much disappointment.

16. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

So that's what they called the gays back then.

Was that picture taken on polaroid? Box camera perhaps?

17. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry to disappoint; desert flight suits & immediately post flight...was a 'wet' down as it was my final flight so I'm one of the guys that's soaking wet...since it we were flying from an Islamic nation, it was water instead of the traditional champagne.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Film, son... film. That's a cell phone pic of an old paper pic taken with film.

19. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse

In case anyone was wondering, marmite tastes wonderful in chicken ramen.

20. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Yeah...totally thought it was a bunch of nekkid 20 year old guys. Color me disappointed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.