Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2015 Holiday WDT NSFW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This actually reminded me. A kid that went to college with my from my hometown/HS had his Dad win the lottery our Sophomore year. Something like a $20MM lump sum, $13MM after taxes. He waited close to a month after winning to claim in order to keep the buzz down and it was only a small blurb when he did. I remember the kid, who happened to live in my dorm randomly Soph year, coming to my room and very discreetly, and almost fearfully, if I could keep it quiet. As far as I know, his Dad moved from the burbs of Milwaukee where I grew up back to Columbus where his family was from (part of the reason we were in school in Ohio), bought a nice, but not crazy ($800K-$1MM) house, and retired. Handled it in the perfect way in my opinion.

2. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

Reminds me of that 30 for 30 Broke episode about the staggering statistics and anecdotes about pro sports players. It's sad, but what do you expect when you hand someone, especially a 20 year old guy, a check for millions? Most of the time it's not gonna end well.

3. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, North Dakota, Ohio, and South Carolina are states where the winner can remain anonymous. Colorado, Connecticut, Vermont and Massachusetts allow it if it's done through a trust. That would be the way to go.

5. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The stats they present in that one are just mind-boggling, but yeah it sadly does make sense and is obviously played out over and over again.

6. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, the Powerball is up to $675 million after drawing no winner.

That's a lot of cheese. I didn't even bother buying tickets last night, so second chance. Easy money. I will invite you all to my palatial Tuscan estate... to work the vineyard, peasants.

In a few years the hard luck story of whoever wins this will be fascinating. Someone is going to blow $200 million on junk, with no regard for the future or taxes. "But you see, I really did have to buy a 100k French crystal chandelier to properly illuminate my lifesize collection of Aliens Vs Predator statues."

It just occurred to me Hammacher Schlemmer stays in business by selling submarines to lottery winners.

7. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The people that habitually purchase lottery tickets are usually pretty bad at managing money and have no business spending it on lottery tickets. The people that are good with managing money dont bother buying lottery tickets.

You have a far greater chance of becoming a millionaire through starting a business than you do winning the lottery.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, but starting a business is like, really hard. Unless it's a restaurant. From what I hear, that's easy.

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Probably the most idiotic thing I could see myself doing with that much money is invest in a film/tvshow and dictate who will be in it - basically buy my way onto the set and fangirl all over the place.

Assuming I don't do something quite that stupid, I always daydream that I would set up investments for my daughter and stepdaughter's education, as well as make sure I will always have enough money to grow old in comfort. Then I would set up apartments in NYC and London, and a house by the sea in San Diego. And I would travel a lot. Holy crap would I travel so much. I got thoroughly spoiled during my childhood as an army brat and my first job out of school at the State department. So many places I got to visit on somebody else's dime. Now it is a fire in my blood that I can't afford (except when my husband's airline points accumulate enough).

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'd buy a 2 minute superbowl ad spot and then make the stupidest commercial ever that would make everyone scratch their heads and say "WTF?"

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Stupid?! That's EXACTLY what you're supposed to do when you have $250 million to fling around. And, the thing is, you could probably do exactly what you described using only about $25 million of your own money.

12. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's what the Oracle founder did for his daughter. She even got an Oscar nod or two out of it. They're also the assholes who INSIST on giving us crappy Terminator movies.

Buying my way into the movies, isn't that absurd of an idea though. Because I would buy the rights for Blood Meridian, and I would film it well (by paying a talented director). I'd still have enough left over for a swimming pool full of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

13. comforter

comforter
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Close - I'd wait until CBS/Paramount screws it up again, has to put the franchise into another ten year hiatus, then buy the rights to Star Trek. And you know what then? I'd public-domain that shit, and let a thousand tribbles bloom. Any nerd with a script and some animation software could, and dare I say should, be able to share his boldly-going with the world.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Save your money and just replay almost ANY of the commercials in last year's Super Bowl.

....but I died.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The good news is that the rumour is Todd Field has signed on to direct Blood Meridian and he is an excellent director. He just better not hold back for the sake of squeamish viewers, not even a little bit. That book is about violence and needs to be put onto film that way.

Filing an unfilmable novel like that usually doesn't work out. Life of Pi is one of the rare occasions when it did, but most novels (The Sheltering Sky and Naked Lunch for example) don't work out.

16. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    WooHoo! Jr announced he will go into the HoF with a Mariners cap!

Fucking Randy Johnson....

17. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't consider it unfilmable. I do however consider it unwatchable if done shot for shot. The audience would vomit. That whole subplot with The Idiot would probably not make it past the censors either. Shit, I need to re-read it; been a good couple years. Always imagined a giant, pink, bald Malkovich as The Judge. Every character is a scene chewer too. Man, what a rough book; then it is written with such erudition. They don't make them like that often.

McCarthy's new book should be out in May. The Passenger. It's a sci-fi about suicide with a female protagonist. This might be his last book. Dude is up there at 82.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It ranks in my top five books easily. Funny, I had never read it before our "book of the month" a while back. It's fucking incredible. Hypnotic. Revolting. Gritty in a way I could never imagine with McCarthy changing his writing styles like a light breeze.

My choice for Judge Holden would be Tom Noonan. He's around 6'6" and owned one of the most terrifying characters in movie history: Francis "The Tooth Fairy" Dolarhyde from Manhunter (the original and WAY better film version of RedDragon)

image.jpg

#638 Crown Royal, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  19. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The local public access channel is currently airing a little kids karate thing. They are beating the shit out of each other. It was filmed with a camera from the 80s. I want to make my own show now.

20. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.