Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2015 Halloween Movies Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juice, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

One of my favorite movies, let alone horror movies, is The Shining. Its not really that scary as much as it is unsettling. The setting, tone, mood and acting are all excellent. Even Shelley Duvall who I think CJ once described as a "trailer park wraith" was very good. 2001 might be Kubrick's magnum opus, but this is pretty close.

In the end, the story doesnt make sense and its not supposed to. Were they all hallucinating due to cabin fever? Was there something supernatural at the hotel? It gets endlessly debated whenever the film is brought up. Personally I like the idea that Jack was a reincarnated person that was previously at the hotel, just like Charles Grady may have been a reincarnated version of Delbert Grady.

A movie I saw pretty recently, that kind of rips off the Shining a little bit, is the Babadook. Its a pretty decent horror movie and the acting is surprisingly good considering the genre.

Focus: What are your favorite scary movies? Why?

Alt Focus: What scary movies do you hate?

2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Suspiria is my favourite horror film. It's not for all tastes to say the least. It's Italian and poorly-dubbed which doesn't help its dumb plot but none of that matters. This movie is quite honestly a living nightmare. The final film ever shot in three-tone technicolour is washed in blues, yellows and reds and its opening 15 minutes are designed to do one thing: drive the viewer clear up the wall and does so with the most ghastly, savage and over-the-top murder scene in movie history. Dario Argento preys on primal fears and does it exceptionally adding in insane camera aerobics and the most terrifying music score ever by Goblin.

Others I love:

Twitch of the Death Nerve (best slasher movie that will ever be made)
    Poltergeist (the ONLY one)
    An American Werewolf In London
    The Serpent and The Rainbow
    V/H/S/2
    The Thing (prequel is also decent)
    Clive Barker's Hellraiser
    The Loved Ones
    Trick 'r' Treat (a Halloween must)
    Halloween (1978)
    Dead of Night
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Silver Bullet
    Audition
    Slither
    Dawn of the Dead (both versions)
    Cujo
    Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut
    The Haunting (1960)
    House of Usher
    Don't Look Back
    In the Mouth of Madness
    Wes Craven's New Nightmare
    Evil Dead 2
    The Relic
    Fright Night (1985)
    The Shining
    Candyman

And above all the original black and white Night Of The Living Dead is a must: the touchstone modern horror film, it's almost 50 years old but it's power to chill hasn't been lost at all. It's truly something special.

#2 Crown Royal, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Devils's Rejects

This movie just drips with atmosphere, great music and terrific acting. One of the greatest uses of music in a movie is Freebird playing just before/during the shootout at the end. And the lady getting hit by a semi was pretty brutal.

Candyman

Probably the only movie that made me genuinely scared after watching it. I was 10 when I saw it and it's over 20 years old now so I don't know if it holds up but at the time it was great.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to post one but then I realized that Crown killed the thread by naming every scary movie ever. Oh, look, two good ones he left off:

The Ring
    The Descent

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Rush, I just named the ones I like. Everyone is still free to talk about them. Horror movies are awesome.

6. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It Follows

The Thing [2011 prequel-of-sorts was just weird]

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A couple new ones you guys should check out is an American flick "Starry Eyes" and the super-creepy Aussie horror film The Babadook which holds a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes for a VERY good reason.

image.jpg

8. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I just saw the 1978 remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" the other day...JESUS CHRIST that movie is creepy. Make sure its the 1978 version with Donald Sutherland, The Fair Lady Brooke Adams and Leonard Nimoy (also Jeff Goldblum is in it and looks like he's 17). I watched the original 50s version as well and while entertaining, is nowhere near as good as the remake.

9. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

As I said above, its one of the best horror movies Ive seen.

Its even better when you realize the monster isnt actually real, its just a manifestation of her anxiety and depression from the loss of her husband.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Couldn't agree more... best use of Free Bird ever.

11. CanisDirus

CanisDirus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The original Night of the Living Dead is pretty amazing in its tone. That movie has possibly the best damned protagonist ever in the form of Ben:

[​IMG]

Duan Jones was awesome in this role.

He gets shot at the end and expires.

12. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Evil Dead. Evil Dead 2. Army of Darkness.

Even the Evil Dead remake from a couple of years ago was spectacular.

I could watch any of the 80s cheese horror flicks...but Poltergeist ain't nothing to fuck with.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Poltergeist preyed on modern, relatable fears of children and it scared the SHIT out of people. Spielberg paced it like a rollercoaster and the effects are still astonishing.

I'd like to echo Child's Play again. The first one. I know that living dolls scare adults even more than kids, and Chucky was a doozy. Evil, profane, and completely real-looking. Only Snuggles the fabric softener bear scared me more. It's a shame like many horror films it spawned a shitty franchise. Just look at Hellraiser: incredible first film, never-ending barrage of garbage sequels.

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The problem with the endless sequels in horror franchises is that after the first or second films, its rarely the same director. Hellraiser is a good example. In the first film, if you really pay attention, Pinhead isnt really a villain and he doesnt have malevolent intentions, he executes the will of whoever opens the box and explores the limits of sadomasochism. The films after that just default to him being a garden variety evil demon. The first Child's Play is... alright. I just couldnt suspend my disbelief enough to accept that this little 2 foot high doll was causing so much mayhem, possessed or not. It just seemed so silly.

The only time a doll or dummy seemed scary to me is the Twilight Zone episode with the ventriloquist doll, likely because I was a kid when I first saw it.

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That's why Dead Of Night is one of my favourite horror films. It was made in I think 1945 and it was a collection of connected short stories, the one called The Dummy about a vantriliquest is a knockout.

Dolls scare people. I put them outside the house of Halloween with blacked-out eyes and they scare the fuck out of the parents. "Dead Silence" directed by the guys who made Saw is another one.

16. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Juicy, you should watch Dead Silence from the Saw guys. The premise is about... evil ventriloquist dummies. A lot of them. It is one of those underrated gems. It is borderline terrifying, completely creepy as fuck all. And it has Donnie Wahlburgers.

[​IMG]

It's watching you fap, Juicy. It's watching you, always.

I have been obsessed with Don't Look Now from 1973, with Donald Sutherland. Want to talk about atmosphere? A couple go to Venice for work after their daughter drowns, they get involved in a series of murders and ghostly premonitions. There's also a famous fuck scene that's kinda hot and not 70s hairy at all.

Also, Shadow of The Vampire. Malkovich plays legendary Nosferatu director FW Murnau who maybe gets a real vampire to play the lead. Willem Dafoe as Count Orlock/Max Shreck is insane. He was nominated for an Oscar he was so goddamn good. I don't think anybody saw this, and it's a shame because not only is it scary, but it is a horror movie that is a legitimately good piece of film.

I've got a big soft spot for Johnny Depp and Polanski's The Ninth Gate. It's not necessarily good, but it's engrossingly entertaining to me.

FUCK that kid. I empathized with the child eating monster. Whoever that little ginger shitbird was he deserves an Oscar because he enraged the living fuck out of me with his transgender asperger nonsense. (Well, he LOOKED transgender at least)[/B]

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I saw Shadow Of The Vampire, it was excellent. It has a really unique look and feel. The director made only two other films: a descent thriller called"Suspect Zero" and an utterly horrific B&W surreal film called "Begotten" that challenges Eraserhead and will churn your stomach into knots.

18. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any horror movies where you empathize with the villain?

Also, motherfucking Monster Squad.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

-The Monster in Frankenstein. Son of a bitch was just misunderstood.

-Carrie from... Carrie. She just had enough of everyone's shit.

20. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bram Stoker's Dracula. Gary Oldman can do no wrong. Interview With The Vampire too. A lot of vampire movies one sympathizes with the protagonist as they are often reluctant villains.

Wolfman. But both the original and Benicio Del Toro's are awful. The latter had a killer cast, then it devolved into a bad action movie. American Werewolf In London is probably the best werewolf flick.