Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 General Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JPrue, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I don't know about that one. Patriots usually go heavy after a bad Brady/O-Line game to start, now they just had a great one and are going against one of the two worst teams in the NFL. I don't see why you're not starting Edelman at WR2 given how the Patriots offense is going to play (balanced). Then again, this might be the game they decide to warm up their two newbie WRs.

I'd go Edelman. They're going to save Gronk for when it matters.

2. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I somehow pulled off a win last week, but only because my opponent sucked worse then I did. But I'm not proud, I'll take it.

So in the interest of doing better next week, I will actually research and set my lineup

QB: Kaep (vs. AZ) or Romo (vs. STL)? Seems like a toss up.
    RB: McKoy, A Morris (Bench - C Ivory)
    WR: Marshall and which one of my crappy WRs should I use? Garcon sucked once RGIII was out (and in general), Kelvin Benjamin (give the rookie a go), Kendell Wright, Amendola (I am starting to get pissed that he is even on my bench), Santonio Holmes (I just grabbed him if Marshall didn't play and he'll go this week)
    TE: Antonio Gates (coming off a killer game) or Vernon Davis (coming off an injury)
    Flex: Rashad Jennings
    D/ST: Seahawks (who scored -1 vs. Philip Rivers and next faces Peyton) - I could pick somebody else up for this week. Trade in one of my worthless WR for Colts, Chiefs, Texans....etc
    K: Mason Crosby

Pending waiver moves (I am number 8/10 so not sure any of these will fly): Santonio Holmes for Khiry Robinson, Knile Davis, Bobby Rainey, or Andrew Hawkins

Any advice???

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I like Kaepernick - Arizona's secondary is no joke, but neither is St. Louis' defensive line and I'm guessing they'll be leaning heavily on Murray to try and keep Romo upright.

I don't have a great rationale but my gut says Kendall Wright and Gates. And regardless of the Superbowl performance, I don't like putting up a D/ST against the Broncos. Stream one for the week. In what universe is the Texans defense available? By all means pick them up going against that pitiful O-line of the Giants. JJ Watt is going to be spending so much time back there that Manning might be singing this by the end of the game:

#63 Binary, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks! I think I'll get rid of Amendola to stream the Houston's this week. Shoot, maybe I'll even keep them around so I'll have two good options. Unless somebody beats me to them.

I don't even know who Kendell Wright is....but I suppose he's as good as any of the others. WR is definitely my weak spot (although I am not overly fond of my QBs either).

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The guy with the #1 waiver wire slot this week picked up A.P. who got too-hastily dropped by his former owner. The guy with the #1 slot ragged her mercilessly this week after the Vikings announced his activation for Sunday.

Guess she gets the last laugh this morning.

This is a terrible week for streaming defenses. The obvious candidates with good matchups (who aren't likely rostered) are averaging negative points per game. Trying to decide between the Saints, who have looked terrible but will be playing at home, the Dolphins who aren't great but are at least playing KC sans Jamaal Charles, and the Colts who have not looked good but are playing the Jags, so...

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Managed to pick up Bobby Rainey and the Texans D/ST. Not a bad week on the Waiver Wire.

7. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Due to injuries and what not I'm now holding:

Matt Forte
    Zac Stacy
    Lamar Miller (Moreno out 4-8 weeks)
    Mark Ingram (out 4 weeks?)
    Bernard Pierce (Rice out all season)
    Khiry Robinson (Lead back while Ingram's out)

Rest of my bench looks like this:
    Stafford Q
    Michael Floyd WR
    Brandin Cooks WR
    Kyle Rudolph TE
    Rueben Randle WR
    Wes Welker WR
    Amendola WR
    Justin Tucker K
    NO D/ST
    Denver D/ST

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR, K, D/ST league.
    I took a long shot and am asking about Jimmy Graham for Rudolph + one of my RBs not named Forte or Stacy. Am I crazy for considering proposing Forte for Megatron? Projected points puts me -20 on that trade, but the Stafford/Johnson multiplier is interesting. Not sure how else I want to shop around to improve my WR situation.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Having teammates on your roster is just asking for it. It's bad enough when your QB takes a dump, but when that QB is throwing to your WR, you may as well drop your pants because you're getting spanked. Based on past history, offenses with a new coach and scheme generally don't perform as well as they did before. You also get donkeypunched in the event one of the two gets injured. Do you think Demaryius Thomas becomes a lot less valuable if Brock Osweiler is in the pocket?

That you are willing to risk Matt Forte, a guy in a high octane offense himself, for a WR (even if it is Calvin Johnson) is bananas. Aside from the aforementioned teammates/injury angle, Forte is generally getting 20-30 touches a game. A WR gets targeted 10-15 times at most.

9. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have:

QB
    Foles
    Newton
    Tannehill (picked up while Moreno is on IR for bench point tie breakers)
    RB's
    Stacy
    Sproles
    Spiller
    Stewart
    Moreno (in one of two IR slots)

WR's
    C Johnson
    Dez
    D Jax
    M Evans
    J Jones

TE
    Witten
    Rudolph

Cards D

Dawson

1/2pt PPR

I've been offered F jackson and Donald Brown for Newton or Romo/FJax for Newton. I almost want to do it for depth at a position where I could have issues later but Brown won't be great and FJax is a time share at best but would be pretty good should Spiller get hurt. I tried to push him to Joique Bell/F Jax but he wouldn't budge.

Any thoughts?

10. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Calvin Johnson- 45 points in two weeks

Matt Forte- 27 points in two weeks

Trading Forte for Calvin is potentially dumb, but not because "Forte gets the touches," because touches mean shit here. It's potentially dumb because there is a smaller supply of quality running backs. Even then, the "you need a running back or you're fucked" advice of yore seems to be making less and less sense, with almost every team adopting some sort of RBBC.

Tuesday your receivers are ass but your RB situation isn't strong enough minus Forte for that to make sense, what with breakout Ingram injured, Miller and Pierce not performing, and Robinson unproven. I would see if you could package Stacy and a WR (Welker's back) for somebody bigger.

11. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Romo or Kaep this week? It's like deciding between lima beans and Spam.

12. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Romo all the way. If SF gets up in any game they play, it's nothing but run run run. If Dallas is winning, they won't be for very long and you'll need Romo to air it out.
    Only thing that would give me pause is Romo's back.

It's really a coinflip either way. One's probably going to have a monster game (the one you most likely decide to) and the other is going to have around 15pts.

13. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With Davis potentially out or limited, Kaep reallly doesn't have a good receiver....right? I never watch SF football and kind of hate Kaep as a person so feel like I can't make a good decision on this.

Here is how it will play out, I'll start Romo and Gates, and Kaep will throw to Davis for 10 TD's so my bench will outscore my team for another week.

14. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well....looking like Romo may not have been the best choice. As an aside, my opponent has Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, and Andy Dalton. No wonder I can't get a better QB.

15. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

^ Not sure why Romo wasn't a good choice... he was #6 ranked last week in our league.

I flipped Chris Ivory for Eddie Lacy this week. Clearly buying incredibly low on Lacy and selling high on Ivory. One of those trades that could go either way - if they keep on their current tracks, I'm dumb and it'll look like trading for Trent Richardson. But I think Lacy is much better than he's shown this season, and Ivory is a timeshare back - I just don't trust timeshare guys enough to put them in my lineup, so despite his great production, he has not actually started for me.

Of course, if it goes the way I think - that Ivory has been over-performing and Lacy has been under-performing - then I could have two top-10 RBs in my lineup every week...

16. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I posted that when he was -1 at end of first half, he came through.

I have ivory on my bench despite him out scoring my RB1 (McCoy). I just can't see starting him over McCoy, Morris, or Jennings (who has been my flex). The time I do he'll actually play as expected.
    It's frustrating because I feel like my team is good but they have been seriously underperforming.

Who would you start this week at TE - Davis or Gates?

17. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gates against Jacksonville is a good matchup and Davis is coming off injury.

Gates for sure, IMO.

18. Popped Cherries

Popped Cherries
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been betting a lot on Draftkings lately.
    Great googly-moogly, this shit is easy.
    It's like playing against 1000's of people that draft like Taco.

I highly suggest if you have some spare time and money, signup and rake in the dough.

19. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Fuck you McCoy. First pick and you act like this? Get fucking bent. Although the other top three picks were Charles and Peterson so meh.

20. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to say the same thing. 3 total points in 2 weeks? And then you act like a damn baby on the sidelines like you are contributing.

And Brandon Marshall....7 total points in 2 weeks.

I feel like my team is good on paper but then continues to put up a measly 70 points week after week.