Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2014 Auto Racing

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Nettdata, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

We don't seem to have enough dedicated racing fans around here to warrant an individual thread for every specific series, so I'm creating this topic as an "Anything Auto Racing" thread.

TUDOR, F1, NASCAR, WEC, whatever.

Discuss.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

This is the first Sunday I've had in my new place, so after a week of moving and cleaning and just working on getting shit sorted out, I'm taking the afternoon to enjoy some racing.

Just finished watching the Nationwide Road America race, and it was, all said and done, awesome. I still can't stand the NASCAR stance of "it's too wet for slicks, but too dry for wets, so we'll just parade lap around" bullshit, but after fast-forwarding through an hour of boring, time-filling interviews, the race went green and some fun was had.

The last few laps were absolutely amazing, which lasted for quite a while, seeing as it's a 4 mile course.

Tagliani was un-fucking-believable... from running out of gas as the leader, having to be pushed into the pits, opts for slicks and some gas, and rejoins in 23rd with two laps to go. Then finishes SECOND. SECOND! And too see Chase get all butt-hurt for being passed on the last lap in turn 5 was just so adorable.

Can't wait for the next Nationwide road course.

Now off to watch the Austrian F1, courtesy of Sky and some pirates.

And I've got the recently run 24 hrs of Le Mans all ready to go as well.

Combine all that with a nicely shaded deck, awesome weather, the bbq, a cooler full of cold drinks, and today is looking all kinds of awesome.

3. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else into motogp? I got a couple reps when I posted about it in the RR thread. This season is less interesting than the last, but it is cool to watch the start of Marquez's career, who looks to be in good position to be the next GOAT. He's still very young (god fucking dammit he's young), but he looks damn near invincible at this point. Also very cool to see Rossi getting better rather than just sailing towards retirement on a sea of money, which he could very easily do.

For anyone not into the sport, here's the obligatory video to watch. Rossi vs. Lorenzo battle it out in the last few laps in Catalunya five years ago. Once you wrap your head around how fucking insane it is what these guys are doing... the overtaking with inches between them and the last second braking into corners coming down from ~350 km/h (1:45 in the vid)... fuck.

#3 JoeCanada, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just recently caught the movie "1" on tv about the history of F1. Great watch if you get the chance. I still get chills every time I see racers drive on the original Nurburgring.

5. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    I used to follow it pretty closely but I kind of lost track over the last few years. I'd certainly like to get back into it, and if someone started a MotoGP thread I'd do my best to contribute. If nothing else it would get me watching it again so I can actually know what the fuck I'm talking to you guys about.

#5 Danger Boy, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015