Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 Oscar Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, Demi Moore got waterboarded in GI Jane and no one cared about that.

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

BUT SHE SHAVED HER HEAD!!!!!?!

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: 2013 Oscar Thread

I think she got passed over because the movie isn't good, I don't get all the hype over this film at all.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You can never count on the Academy giving what you want. And when they're not picking costume dramas nobody under 60 gives a shit about, they're pandering to the popular vote and the next thing you know Amadeus and Forrest Gump sweep the big categories. Either of those movies even deserved to be nominated for best picture, much less win.

Nothing made me angrier than The English Patient winning over Fargo. An abortion to end all abortions. Another prime example on how the academy sucks the cock of romantic, heartfelt-type movies.

It dates back decades. Citizen Kane... Citizen fucking KANE didn't win best picture because it didn't do well at the box office. That's right, the best movie ever made did not win best picture-- despite the fact it broke all rules and laid the blueprint of the Hollywood film format-- because it wasn't popular in the theatres.

If homosexuals control only thing in this world, then that one thing is The Academy.

5. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You should be thrilled that Canada got recognition for anything at all.

6. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like somebody hasn't been watching the best foreign language picture category the last few years.

Edit: hey, what do you know, I saw the Canadian nomination for best foreign language picture at a french film festival in Germany. It was good. I mean, horrifying. But good.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Most Canadian films aren't very good, because like other Canadian arts such as poetry many of them wallow in misery and bleakness (see: The weet Hereafter, good movie but MAN is it sad). When good ones come along, most people don't realize they're Canadian films like A History Of Violence.

8. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aaah, the lament of the monoglot.

I'm otherwise unafraid to be "that guy", but shit, dude, have you seen any of the films coming out of Quebec? Sure, a bunch of poutine-eating, free-tuition demanding separatist monkeys, but they make some good movies.

Oh, and because I know what you're going to say at the mere suggestion that one should ever have anything to do with the french, One Week was a pretty good English Canadian film. And it was actually Canadian, not just shot in Canada because of tax credits.

9. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Still waiting for an example of a good canadian film....

10. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joke's on you, A History of Violence is an American film.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey the scene where Viggo hate fucks Maria Bello on those hardwood stairs was Oscar worthy.