Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 Oscar Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

The nominees have been announced, and the Golden Globes have come and gone. A full list can be found here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertainment/Hollywood/OSCAR-2013-nominees-in-main-categories/Article1-989944.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hindustantimes.com/Entertain ... 89944.aspx</a>

The big catagories:

Best picture: Amour, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life of Pi, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Zero Dark Thirty.

Best director: Michael Haneke for Amour, Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild, Ang Lee for Life of Pi, Steven Spielberg for Lincoln, and David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook.

Best leading actor: Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook, Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln, Hugh Jackman for Les Miserables, Joaquin Phoenix for The Master, and Denzel Washington for Flight.

Best leading actress: Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty, Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook, Emmanuelle Riva for Amour, Quvenzhane Wallis for Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Naomi Watts for The Impossible.

Best supporting actor: Alan Arkin for Argo, Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook, Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master, Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln, and Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained.

Best supporting actress: Amy Adams for The Master, Sally Field for Lincoln, Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables, Helen Hunt for The Sessions, and Jacki Weaver for Silver Linings Playbook.

Focus: Predictions, discussion.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

3. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Yeah, sorry guys - there's so much spam in the Pop Culture thread I never look at it anymore.

4. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, I can't really predict much because I have only seen maybe two or three of the movies that are on this years list.

I think Daniel Day-Lewis would be a shoo in for Lincoln. Another acclaimed film I haven't seen though. The man pretty much owns everything he's in. Joaquin Phoenix was outstanding in The Master, but I don't see him beating out Day-Lewis.

Django Unchained was the most entertaining movie I've seen in a while. Yeah I might be a Tarantino fan boy, but it was excellent from every aspect. I don't see it taking home many awards from the Academy unfortunately.

Looking forward to seeing Zero Dark Thirty soon. I'm surprised Kathryn Bigelow wasn't nominated for Best Director, but seeing as how she won for The Hurt Locker a few years back, looks like Spielberg might clean house.

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ahem.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theidiotboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=83750</a>

6. Roxanne

Roxanne
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I honestly had no idea that Silver Linings Playbook was an Oscar-worthy movie. It was a great movie, yes, but no idea it was going to be nominated in so many categories, or nominated at all.

7. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's actually stressing me out that we have two active Oscar threads. Both of which are virtually empty.

So can we use this one for posting pictures of Jennifer Lawrence's awesome rocking tits?

I now have a thing for Jessica Chastain. Redhead with really nice knockers. I hope she wins. Good things should happen to good people. I'd also shoot a load big enough to waterboard her.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is also a redhead with big tits... Same goes for him.

Seth McFarlane is going to host this. How much you want to bet his performance will involve showtunes and a 10 minute monologue answering questions about his sexuality.

I still want Wolverine to win best actor. He should just change his name to Wolverine. "Now presenting.... Academy Award Winner Wolverine." Wolverine can do anything. He can sing, he can dance, yet he still cannot overcome the greatest battle of all: love. I also am calling the late night gangbang of MacFarlane, Bradley Cooper, and Wolverine. The train happens in that order. We know it'll happen. All the alcohol getting poured that night presents the opportunity.

8. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

Hopefully she dresses better than she did at the Golden Globes. I don't think this outfit works for her. Same for the woman in the background making the stinky face. And is that blood on her dress?
    [​IMG]

9. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Argo, a circle jerk movie how "hollywood types" saved people in real life situations getting a nod. What a surprise.

Fuck the Oscars.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My top 5 of the year (that I have seen):

1) Cosmopolis
    2) Headhunters
    3) Django Unchained
    4) The Raid: Redemption
    5) The Dark Knight Rises

...I'm picking Argo as the winner for this one, Ang Lee for best director, Pheonix for Actor, Chastain for Actress, and Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Hathaway for supporting.

11. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lincoln. The odds on Lincoln winning make it not even worth betting.

Spielberg for Lincoln. Just another year in which Best Picture and Director go together. If Affleck had been nominated for this, I would have picked Argo for BP and Affleck for Director.

DDL is a fucking lock. He will be the first to ever get three best actor trophies.

I still haven't seen either movie of the two front runners here, but I'm going with Lawrence over Chastain. From the many reviews I've read, they did about an equally good job, but Lawrence's character was more a more complete person. Plus, Hollywood loves a brash, beautiful, talented 22 year old actress with damn near no filter in interviews.

I like Waltz, but he basically played the same character he won for in Inglorious Basterds. A gleeful German who kills a lot of people (just, this time it was almost anti-racist). So I'm going with PSH. People loved The Master, and since Joaqin can't beat DDL, this will be the bone for that movie.

Hathaway is a lock. By a mile.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Am I the only one who thinks Lincoln isn't a dead set lock for most of what its nominated for, outside best actor? I haven't seen the two out of nowhere nominees. I could see a "The Artist" situation where a small indie film will upset the Hollywood powerhouse. Spielberg already has won best picture for a true classic and won best director for a movie that was gypped from best picture. Since then when he tries to make Oscar fodder he seems to try waaaay to hard. I think the same holds true with Lincoln.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Which part is stressing you? That there are two threads, or that they're virtually empty? You could fix the latter by taking advantage of the former. Just make a post in one thread arguing for one film as best picture, then another in the other. No one will notice except the regular posters.

Is it really that surprising that Bigelow wasn't nominated for ZDT? This is the same Academy that chose Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I in no way want to sound as though I have seen Shakespeare in Love, or am vouching for its quality, but Saving Private Ryan really wasn't that good of a movie.

15. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seth McFarlane hosting is the only reason I'll be watching

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was better than Shakespeare in love and in the top 3 war movies ever.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're wrong, it is. But more importantly, this apparently isn't about war movies in general (remember, she won for a war movie). The supposed reason that it did not get nominated was that she's caught a lot of flack for seemingly sanctioning or shoulder-shrugging at torture committed by the intelligence communities in question. I haven't seen the movie in question, but word is that Academy voters are basically punishing her for being an alleged propagandist.

18. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, allegedly, people are punishing her for allegedly doing something else. Alright. I guess we can make a decision as to whether or not the Oscars are worth something here. When a shitty picture wins something, we say "yeah, well, they're worth nothing" but when a picture that might have otherwise gotten a nomination (oooh, a nomination) we decry how they're punishing someone.

For what it's worth, the CIA director has made an official statement criticizing the accuracy of the movie. Obviously, more people than just Jessica Chastain were responsible for finding Bin Laden, but he specifically said this about the waterboarding:

I mean, yeah, it's politics. But if they really wanted to win an oscar making this movie, they'd do what everybody else does when they make oscar bait (i.e. add in a few British people).

It may very well have been better than Shakespeare in Love. But call it personal preference, if a war movie is going to have a contrived plot, it should be in the spirit of Forrest Gump or Inglourious Basterds. You don't need to make up a mission about going on a suicide mission to rescue the last of a set of brothers to make a statement about sacrifice in war. I'm also pretty sure you can find more than two movies that were better. Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Longest Day, maybe Apocalypse now, heck, depending how narrowly you define a war movie, I'd even put Forrest Gump, Casablanca, and Inglourious Basterds up for contention. Not that I think every single one of those was better, but still. Top 3? For a movie that ends with a guy shooting a pistol at a tank and then a plane blows it up?

Or maybe I'm just thinking of how much better Band of Brothers was, which isn't really a fair comparison.

19. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im not saying it wasn't without flaws, a lot of great films have them. I think we're a little bit off in personal preferences as you seem to think maybe Apocalypse Now is up there. It's my number one by a long shot. I also thought We Were Soldiers was terrible.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hmmm, well, I realize she won for Hurt Locker - which she should have. But, my point wasn't that Academy voters would choose British thespians over War movies. I just meant they apparently have different (peculiar) visions of what a best picture looks compared to what the general populace does. (Apropos of nothing, really, I have both Shakespeare in Love and Saving Private Ryan on DVD, and I don't have a lot.)

So, maybe there were a few that felt that way, but I don't think the "Academy voters are basically punishing her." I just think they make odd choices. The Academy is made up of a really eclectic lot. But, you know, it's more entertaining to make it about water boarding, so there's something to argue about.