Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When the structure encourages players to repeatedly sign with what everyone knows are fake terms, maybe there's something wrong with the cap system.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

^ Fair point, but they're not exactly "fake" terms. It's just a contract that has different buckets of money - some guaranteed money, some money contingent on performance, some money that only gets collected if the team elects to continue to employ you, etc.

The cap system definitely needs work, but I'm not sure there's anything wrong with structuring a contract with different types of incentives, as long as it's all clearly spelled out.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In these instances, it is fake money though. It is money that the team has no intention of paying, the player has no expectation of receiving, and the media also knows it will not be paid. Everyone involved knows they will restructure this deal down the road. At this point, they are pulling numbers out of their ass, putting these imaginary numbers down, and then patting themselves on the back for their "record-breaking" contracts.

"This will be your salary in 2018 *wink wink nudge nudge*" is a stupid way for contracts to be done.

4. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. That said, I don't know enough about the system to know how you can make a system that can't be gamed this way, or if it's even possible.

5. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like you spoke too soon. Steelers matched the offer.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Womp womp.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Of course the goddamn Broncos just want to be like the Greatriots. Fucking copycats.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9181794/peyton-manning-wants-denver-broncos-play-faster-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91817 ... aster-2013</a>

8. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm pretty sure the Broncos actually want to win a super bowl during this decade.

9. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

The scheduelly comes out today. Woop woop.

10. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The 49ers will get to start out at 1-0. Nice that they get those Patsy Packers to open the season. Yeah I am looking at you Shegirl.

11. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Then they get to come to Seattle and get a pants down spanking on national television.

12. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

HEY. Eff you both. You and your Camperchick and you and your seachickens that won thanks to the replacement refs on that faitful Monday night. Isn't it ironic that that was the first time I've even seen a game and that happened? Maybe it was me.

13. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Revis to the Bucs, on a 6/96 deal with no money guaranteed.

Crazy.

14. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jets needed to be rid of him anyway. They're so far down that keeping one expensive player wasn't going to significantly help their season, but it would hurt their salary cap. The draft picks will help them a lot more than Revis was going to.

I'm surprised none of the money was guaranteed, though.

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When the last thingy anyone saw was you tearing up your knee, guaranteed money is hard to come by. My guess is the Bucs more or less gave him a choice: more money unguaranteed, or a dramatically smaller deal w/ guaranteed money.

16. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It will be interesting to see how much of it is incentive based as opposed to base salaries. Will it be a matter of staying healthy and getting through seasons, or is it going to be dependent on him getting back to producing at a high level?

17. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

I hear 13 million is base salary after week one, with a 1.5 million signing bonus and a 1.5 million workout bonus. Repeating every year.

18. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its essentially a one year deal that they structured to seem much better. They'll redo it next off season if he plays well or cut him if he's lost a step.

19. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me or is this draft shaping up to be pretty boring? Most projections have the first few picks as linemen. The only non UGA player I am interested in is Ansah because he is so raw and it's a cool story.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Given the number of ridiculous flops that come out of the draft virtually every year, I'm actually pretty interested for this year's picks.

There aren't a whole bunch of over-hyped players that teams are climbing all over each other to snatch up, so there will be some wheeling and dealing to trade off different points in the draft and the rookies will actually get to play to prove themselves rather than playing to live up to the two hundred speculative articles written about what they might do with a given team.

I like watching some unknown rookie get snatched up in the fourth round and end up competing at a high level in the NFL. I like that a lot more than watching a franchise burn future picks in a trade to snatch up some college hotshot in the top three and then have them flame out by either not performing at all or turning out to be a flash in the pan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.