Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Trakiel, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well they specified open field and "outside the tackle box" so I believe this rule is there so Adrian Peterson doesn't kill CBs. No way they expect anyone to hit the hole standing up wide open. Players will have to rely on jukes and stiff arms.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meh. Tuck rule was fine, elimination of it is also fine. Doesn't really matter as long as it's consistent. I think the tuck rule was far less of a problem than a lot of people thought - the QB is the only player on the field who is forced to be blind to play around him. I don't think it was that unreasonable that he be allowed to try to bring the ball back into his body before getting hit.

The constant focus on helmet contact just seems like a poor way of fixing the issues. It's just going to lead to the same problem that exists on defenses right now - minor, incidental contact gets called for all of these penalties.

In my opinion, the way to fix it is to grant the refs more power to exercise judgement. Did the RB lean into the defender to try and drill him? Or did he lose his balance? Did the DB jump up to block a pass and accidentally slap the QB's head? Or did he try to crush a couple vertebrae? Sure, it'll lead to bitching about calls... but people already bitch about calls, at least this would be enforcing the spirit of the rules.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Urlacher and Ed Reed are both gone?

Baltimore is officially gutted, besides Flacco.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think I've ever seen a Superbowl team get so completely eviscerated the next season. They lost half their playmakers.

6. Seeker

Seeker
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Seriously. Did Jeffrey Luria buy the Ravens and not tell anyone? Getting younger/ managing your salary cap is all well and good but this is getting more than a bit excessive.

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, a $120mil contract for your QB is certainly limits your cap options.

8. Arctic_Scrap

Arctic_Scrap
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#8 Arctic_Scrap, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

They're banking on some good draft picks the next few seasons. Instead of keeping a strong team then drafting a good QB, they kept a strong QB and are gonna hope to draft a good team.

I hope they fail miserably at it.

10. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They will.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think their losses are as catastrophic as they seem. Ray Lewis was more valuable in name only; he was a shell of the player he used to be (see also: Urlacher, Brian). Ed Reed is still a very good Safety, but he is still replaceable. Boldin was probably their biggest loss, as there are few receivers that can just grab a ball away from a defender like Boldin, and can make catches even when he is completely covered. Still, they have Torrey Smith, and Ray Rice is still in their backfield. They won't be as good next season (unless their draft picks develop very quick), but they won't be bad, either. They might sneak into the playoffs based on the fact that they get to play the Browns twice, and I won't be convinced the Browns don't suck until they prove they're a decent team, and the Steelers are a team on the decline a bit, too.

I'm really loving listening to sports radio here in Chicago. Lots of teeth gnashing over how they handled the Urlacher situation. I think everyone in Chicago and who followed the Bears (and wasn't an idiot) knew that Urlacher was going to be gone once Lovie was fired, but the way the Bears handled it was a bit... off. They basically gave an insultingly low offer to Urlacher for one year and said "take it or leave it," knowing (hoping, praying, etc) that he'd walk away, and they could say that they 'wanted' him back. They should have either said "hey, thanks for your time here, we're going a different way," or they could've paid him, but they were afraid of being seen as shoving him out the door, despite the fact that he isn't anywhere close to the player he used to be. If he were, someone would've made him an offer by now, or he'd be signed someplace. I think he'll play one, maybe two more seasons if he is really lucky and doesn't get injured again, but he is pretty much done. There is an outside possibility he sees the writing on the wall and retires, but I doubt it.

11. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget about losing Ellerbe and Kruger. Lewis was irrelevant, I was more surprised that they let Boldin, Ellerbe and Kruger all walk - all quality contributors. Reed was a question mark; he's a good defensive leader but he's not as quick as he once was.

And I think their "strong QB" isn't nearly as strong as his contract indicates. It just so happens that he played a very clutch playoff run and they won a superbowl in his contract year, which doesn't happen very often. Don't get me wrong, I think Flacco is a decent QB, but he's not a $120 million contract QB.

12. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, I agree there, too. Flacco just got absolutely paid, but I fully expect a drop off back to his regular year this year.

The Dumervil signing will help them, though. I bet someplace John Elway is just begging for a chance to punch Dumervil's former agent in the face.

13. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

14. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You mean you didn't read the top 15 reasons Tebow should be playing in Arena Football right after reading the 8 reasons the Jets should resign him?

16. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can we call this the year of the overpaid QB? Jesus Christ. They are franchise QBs, but they aren't perennial SB contending 100m+ QBs. Flacco doesn't deserve that much money, neither does fucking Tony Romo. They should paid decently, but they shouldn't be in the top 5 paid QBs, that shit is ridiculous. Whatever, I don't care, they're just going the opposite of the Patriots and fucking their teams from being able to make any free agent moves for years to come. Smart.

18. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, in Romo's case, they specifically restructured his contract to free up some cap space so they could sign a couple of free agents. Linebacker Justin Durant and Safety Will Allen specifically.

19. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Also, there's no way they see the full money there. It's not a coincidence that, despite an "average value" over 6 years of over $20 million, Flacco counts for less than $7 million next year for cap purposes, which is about $8 million less than he would have counted under his previous deal. The year after that? Between $14 and $15 million, which is right around his value under his old contract.

If you think the Ravens will actually end up letting Flacco's non-guaranteed fifth and sixth year cost them over $25 million, I have a bridge to sell you. They'll pull a Brady in a few years.

20. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've posted before about how I think the Romo hate is over the top, but to me this is really just a lack of alternatives. Who else do you think they should have gone with? Sure, they could have gone to the draft, but they're not picking very early and it's an overall uninspiring year for QB prospects. Also, Jerry Jones is delusional and thinks the cowboys are a piece or two away from a super bowl run instead of accepting the deplorable mediocrity that his team really is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.