Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Crown Royal, Mar 31, 2013.

1. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

My bad, I misread that. I could see the Rays getting in, just because they seem to always be in the race(despite having a fraction of the payroll of the Yankees/Red Sox).

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't forget the extra wild card in each league.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

In that case add the Angels and Dodgers.

4. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm totally pulling these picks out of my ass based on pretty much a very cursory knowledge of teams outside of the NL East, but here goes:

NL East: Braves (I know the sexy pick in the Nats, but I think they're a feast or famine team, and if they get any injuries, they'll slip up.)
    NL Central: Reds
    NL West: Dodgers
    Wildcard: Nationals, Cardinals

AL East: Blue Jays
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Angels
    Wildcard: I honestly have no clue how the AL will shake out outside of the obvious favorites, so I'm just going to pick the A's and the Red Sox.

World Series prediction: Braves over the Tigers in 6

5. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I expect the Rangers to finish in the bottom of the heap, only ahead of the Mariners.

Everyone else, I don't know. I get anxious trying to predict who's going to the Series because it's a LONG goddamn season.

And yeah. The Rangers. It's gonna be a REALLY long season. I'm sick of the JD/Nolan shit already. I hope that's resolved soon.

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/2/4176734/blue-jays-fan-bat-crazy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/2/417673 ... -bat-crazy</a>

Also Yu Darvish is apparently looking good tonight. Blowing up my twitter feed.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

No way the Jays were winning tonight. Cleveland's defence was an iron wall.

J.P had a shitload of passed balls catching for Dickey, even with the big glove. It's like catching a wiffleball.

8. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Goddammit.

9. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Pure Guesses, but we'll see:

AL East: Jays
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Angels
    Wild Cards: Rays and Rangers (really, who the fuck knows, though)

NL East: Nationals
    NL Central: Cardinals (I really wanted to say the Reds, but somehow the Cards win every year and I just don't know how)
    NL West: Giants
    NL Wild Card: Reds and Braves

World Series: Nationals over Angels

Few other predictions for shits and giggles:

--The Marlins are the worst team in baseball, only this year it is intentional, unlike last year where they went all in and sucked anyway. Yes, somehow they manage to out-suck the Astros
    --The Marlins also become the first team in baseball history to play a game in front of a completely empty stadium; somewhere, Ozzie Guillen laughs himself to sleep
    --For the first time in a long time, neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees are in contention for the division in August. That division is all Toronto and Tampa Bay. ESPN still devotes no less than 70% of their baseball coverage to the Yankees and Red Sox, analyzing their poor records and hang-wringing over whether or not this is "the end of an era" in baseball
    --Cubs ownership continue to bitch about needing a new ballpark; Cubs fans continue to flock to Wrigley simply because it is Wrigley, and despite their team sucking; Ownership and fans continue this dance of cognitive dissonance all year
    --The Tigers run so far away with the AL Central that they basically don't have to play the last two weeks of the season
    --The Dodgers are this year's "We spent a fuckload of money and ended up sucking anyway" team
    --The Pirates cease to exist; no one notices
    --The AL Wild Card picture is a clusterfuck of mediocre teams fighting it out for the last spot that they'll lose to the Rays anyway.
    --Stephen Strasburg pitches an entire season, his arm does not fall off
    --Bryce Harper is a great player; still a giant douche; cements his legacy as the next A-Rod
    --Mike Trout regresses slightly, still candidate for MVP
    --Verlander ends up having Tommy John surgery after signing that massive extension; Tigers fans everywhere lament, there is much hand-wringing about signing older pitchers to long term contracts; no one learns anything
    --Felix Hernandez has another fantastic season, but only gets 12 wins because the Mariners are a bad team in a decent division, and he is once again overlooked by everyone. He ends the season wishing he were playing for literally any other team, besides the now non-existant Pirates
    --When he can't find any excuse to formally suspend Ryan Braun, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig just stabs Braun in the leg with a fork; somehow he isn't fired from his position as MLB commissioner, will run the league from Prison
    --Chris Sale becomes a shocking contender for AL Cy Young Award; loses to Yu Darvish
    --A-Rod doesn't play a single game this season, for one reason (injury) or another (suspension)

10. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

IF the Rangers make it to the WC game, it'll be because even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.
    The offense can't hang, and the pitching - it looks fan fucking tastic against the Astros, but I don't think it'll hold up against the rest of the MLB.

Darvish is going to keep getting better. He's focused. He wants "to be the best pitcher in the world". That is his repeatedly stated goal. God I hope the offense backs him up.

I'm going to the home opener tomorrow then going to the Sunday Weaver/Darvish matchup. Holy SHIT that sounds like it's going to be promising.

11. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

PLEASE tell me the Yankees lineup can hit off of Ryan-fucking-Dempster....

12. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

My own team's fans really have to stop trying to out-asshole Yankees fans. Stop getting butthurt at every single player or coach that leaves your team. Toronto is not the fucking centre of the universe, stop making us all look like jackasses during the highlights on every sports network.

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

How does John Kruk still have a job? He's been saying nothing but stupid shit on BBT for as long as he's been on.

15. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

You clearly haven't heard Nationals fans anytime in the last 1.5 years. They're seriously trying to out-douche the typical Yankee fan (which is pretty bad). That and "Natitude" is the most annoying/dumbest thing ever.

16. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't worry guys after this season we hopefully won't have to hear from the expos for a long while.
    [​IMG]

17. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can someone please fire Hawk Harrellson so I can watch White Sox games on TV again without muting it? Fuck I hate him.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Three words: Latin American announcers. Or maybe Vince MacMahon.

19. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm a Cubs fan so I have an unnatural hatred for the White Sox, and yes, its totally misplaced... But holy Jesus Tits does Harrellson suck. Its worth having the MLB channel just so I can watch a Sox game without having to listen to that homer.
    He's the worst announcer in baseball. Micheal Kay isn't even a close second.

20. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

19 innings. Hamilton went 0-8.

His batting average is somewhere between a heroin addict and an amputee.