Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 Gift Giving Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what is good in the way of about a 200 dollar espresso/cappuccino machines? We have a shitty krups that was like 150 five years ago that is going bad. If anyone suggest a kurig please kindly punch yourself in the nuts.

2. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But Keurig's are so convenient and make such great coffee...

3. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Doesn't the Nesspresso machines work off the same principle as the Keurig?

Buy the stovetop espresso pot and and electric milk froather and save some cash.

4. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have the nexus 10 and love it. Form factor is a super personal thing when it comes to preference. That said, the recent-ish Nexus 7 refresh turns it into a fantastic deal if the cost difference between the 7 and 10 matters.

5. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So my oldest brother is the most boring person alive and is getting ready to have twin girls. Based on the kids thing I want to get him a gift card to kids r us, but kids shit is expensive.

Anyone have any gift idea for a parent to be that cost ~50?

6. Esian

Esian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My daughter turns five months tomorrow. This is probably the toy she has that has gotten the most consistent use out of in that range. She'll spend thirty minutes a day on that thing just rocking it out. Plus it is easy to grab on your way out the door if you are going somewhere and you know you then have a clean place to lay them down or let them play.

She has the one in the link there, but I'm sure it can be found for less with a little looking, otherwise there are a shitload of similar models at varying prices.

7. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Already have both of those. She doesn't use the stove top one at all. Makes a much denser harsher cup than she prefers. I could look into getting a good frother for her since she does go through the cheapie ones she gets at Ikea every few months. Ive looked into them before but it seemed like even the pricier ones had the same issues. We got her a conical burr grinder last year and she loves it.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cards Against Humanity is an epic gift for $25.

I got my 2 year old niece Duplo Legos and an art easel. Her mom pissed glitter.

Scout out a swank ass robe. Few men buy them for themselves, but if it's soft enough it's awesome. For people like that, it's better to give them some experience than needless junk, anyway. Tickets are fucking awesome gifts.

9. Trickysista

Trickysista
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I need a gift idea for a 1 year old that is the size of a 4 year old. Are there any cool toys 1 year olds play with? Maybe Duplo legos is the way to go.

Also, can someone give me the name of a good red wine that's not too expensive? I'd like to give my cousins a nice bottle, but I don't want to break the bank. While I can pick out my own, I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

10. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

11. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Try a rioja from Spain. Earthy, mineral tastes, very robust. Generally cheap. There are cheap Bordeauxes (French) out there for 20ish bucks. Just make sure you get a 2009 whatever variety you get. Wines around 3-5 years are at their best, they lose that harsh bite that probably turns off a lot of people. My rule of thumb: if it has a cute label or a logo or a witty name, it is probably bottled ass fuck.

Proximo Rioja from Marques des Riscal. 2009. $9. Nice label too so they will never realize how cheap it is.

[​IMG]

12. voltronman

voltronman
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

This. I have a near 8 month old, and we have a different model, but it is exactly the same type of thing. My little guy loves it.

13. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to get a real hockey jersey for a friend. And I have been looking around, but I can't really tell how authentic they are. I want to get one like the players wear, but the prices are all over the place and I have no clue how much they run and what a good indicator is to tell authenticity.

Any help?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The real ones won't cost less than $100 probably. There are so many different kinds but check the removable tag for the black NHL logo as well as a small tag the sticks out of some sleeves near the elbow. A true sports store will sell them, they have a ventilated knit to them where you'll see small even-spaced holes up close on the material. They have a better feel over any other cheaper jersey, and are heavier than they look.

Stay tuned, I'll examine mine when I get home.

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm ok with it being expensive. Thanks for the update.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Okay. Since these things are printed on both sides of our borders, you may get different companies that both make official jerseys. Up here they are made by the hockey company CCM. Inside the collar is a large perma-stitched tag the will say either "Vintage" or "Officially Licensed" withe the black NHL logo along with the clothing company logo. Mine has no second tag on the sleeve.

If you're willing to spend more money you can get places to monogram them with names and numbers. Might too late to do that part before Christmas.

17. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Reebok makes a lot of them here. The problem that I am seeing is that on NHL websites, they are around $300. On Amazon they are under $200 generally. And they all say shit like "authentic" but the prices vary so much. And if I order one, I don't want to get a piece of shit.

18. NMW

NMW
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

2 easy ways to tell if it's an authentic NHL jersey. First real jerseys are not sized small, medium etc.. but by a number system so 44, 46 etc... Secondly an authentic jersey will have a fight strap inside the back of the jersey, it's there to tie the jersey down to your pants so it doesn't come off during a fight.

19. AlmostGaunt

AlmostGaunt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the people in your life with no vices: a 1000 thread count set of Sheridan sheets costs about $250, at least in the land of Aus. And really, who doesn't like high thread count sheets?

20. Queen-Bee

Queen-Bee
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can not buy an authentic NHL jersey on the market (the ones that they wear on the ice). They're not for sale. However, you can buy an authentic fan jersey, with approved by the NHL tags, for around the $200 mark, depending on where you live.