Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013 Gift Giving Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nom Chompsky, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Might as well be a place to bounce gift ideas, right?

Focus: Have a great gift you're giving? Talk about it here.

Alt-focus: Need a gift idea? Give us the situation and we'll help you out.

Alt-focus 2: Best/worst gifts you've ever gotten.

2. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I just have to say this:

Fuck Yankee Swaps. What a bullshit custom some people engage in. Last time I did one I brought a $50 Macys gift card and left with a Best Of One Direction album that someone burned onto a blank disc.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Getting my daughter the LeapPad Ultra, which is an all-in-one iPad/camera/Nintendo/etch-a-sketch/duo side video camera/Speak n Spell thingy.

This thing is the ultimate IM DRIVING SO SHADDAP!!! toy. She'll go nuts when she gets it.

4. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Apparently 'tis the year where I get spoiled because I've been told I'm getting granite countertops for my kitchen and new cabinets as well.

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

For a homeowner, that's as spoiled as it gets.

Fucker. My kitchen looks like it was designed by vandals.

6. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm only shopping for my mother. Bought her tickets to see The Nutcracker ballet. I do love classical music, but it will be my first ballet. Not sure how this will go. One of the dancers better have a nipple slip. Hopefully some kind of accidental groinal injury otherwise it's just false advertising. I want physical comedy in my ballets.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I just want to give a loud and hearty "fuck you!" I have dreams about kitchens. I'm totally sending a big green eyed monster after you.

Focus: I am finished shopping this year. Hooray free shipping on amazon! I bought an assortment of gifts for my nieces and nephews like books, earrings, viewfinder, double walled travel cup... I know some of these sound lame but I assure you, these are things the kids picked out. Well, except the youngest kids, they got things that were mom approved (can you guess which gifts those were?).

We also do a secret Santa between all my siblings and are shooting off $25 or less gift ideas all year. I got my sister a kitchen drying mat and a couple of skinny belts, and for el husband's secret Santa I got a couple of cute patterned infinity scarfs.

Us gals pool our monies and get my parents a couple big gifts. They are getting a new TV (they still have the huge box TV that we bought them probably 8 years ago), a kindle and case for my dad, a stand mixer for mom, and maybe a couple small things thrown in.

Lately my parents have been doing one big gift per child and spouse. El husband is getting a nice new (yay it is extra long and fits!!) Ski type jacket with removable inner lining. I am still not sure what I want but I need to figure it out because doing shit at the last minute this time of year is insane.

I need a gift idea for a 13 year old boy, my husband's little brother. He plays basketball and water polo and is a freshman in highschool. I asked his dad for ideas but the man is impossible to get in contact with, as he sporadically answers emails and never answers the phone.

8. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just for that, you will probably end up seeing a boner instead. But I've always wanted to see a ballerina get a lightning bolt fracture of the tibia. I bet the sudden halt to the show would be interesting.

9. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The one we attend every year there is a scene where Grandpa had too much to drink and starts dancing with and feeling up the two serving girls.

10. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Myself, my two sisters and my brother just decided to do KK this year and get the one sibling an awesome gift. I picked my brother, so I got him a water rafting session at a nearby outdoor stadium. I'm pretty thrilled with my choice, because not only will he love it, but I can go along with him and do it as well, so that'll be some good fun together.

Together, we're all getting our parents a weekend away of some sort. Maybe something relaxed like a vineyard. Mum can have some massages, dad can drink lots of wine and everybody is happy.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

B&N had the Nook HD 8GB for $79 during Black Friday - they'll probably do it again before Christmas, as they are discontinuing their tablet line. Decent basic tablet and reader. No monthly fees, has wifi and bluetooth, and access to Google Play, Netflix, etc.

#11 Rush-O-Matic, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  12. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They did this at my wife's work Christmas party one year, but they called it "Dirty Santa". One dude completely mistook "Dirty Santa" because after he put his wrapped gift on the table and someone explained to him exactly why it was called "Dirty Santa" (you can steal someone else's gift), his face turned beet red and he flew up to the table, snatched his gift and ran out the door. I asked him after the fact what it was, but he wouldn't answer.

13. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: 2013 Gift Giving Thread

The in laws do this every year and it's stupid, its a 25 dollar limit so it usually ends up just being a bunch of junk with some gift cards thrown in.

I am getting the wife an IPad air with an Otter Box case, that's all she's getting, well that and a new fucking house if I can get it closed sometime in the near future.

14. JPrue

JPrue
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've decided to build my brother a gun rack for the back window of his F-150. Maple, Oak, or some other hardwood. Anyone having any experience, tips, advice, or plans for such a project?

15. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Attached Files:

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've observed that most of you on the TiB have impeccable taste, with eclectitic and cosmopolitan interests. Representative of a variety of countries, with overall resepectable grooming, you typically have a taste for the refined, yet bizarre.

Now that I've appealled to your egos, I need help finding a gift for my brother in law. The man is nearly impossible to buy for. He is 50 yrs old, divorced, no kids. Doesn't drink or smoke, or do drugs, or indulge in women of the evening. He makes enough cheddar that he buys himself everything he wants, and manages to send extra shit our way. He has every electronic gadget I can think of, and some I can't. He isn't into cooking or the outdoors.

Our past gifts to him have included books, shaving kits, art, and food.

What cool shit for under $500 have you folks seen around that you would buy yourself, or made you think "Hey, I should get that for someone?"

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Out of 40 people at our holiday party, $10 limit, called "Pollyanna" all the funny names for this. Two steals per gift, not person. I was 39. There weren't any super awesome gifts, except a few people went over the list, like a bottle of Patron. Those wonderful gift boxes that contain booze and 2 glasses. I brought this Battleshots game that I picked up at some warehouse that these guys were trying to launch. I never opened it. So I wrapped that and took that.

Ended up with Carolan's Irish Creme and two glasses. I'm good.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For people who are hard to buy for, I like to seek out unique beers/liquors/wines because there's such a wide variety that finding the special ones is often a matter of legwork or looking around, not just money.

E.g. my favorite brewery is Bear Republic. Last year, my girlfriend found a whiskey produced by Charbay that used Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA as a base. It wasn't even super expensive, just something interesting enough to be an awesome Christmas gift.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

A friend of mine made a cool gift for his uncle: he bought a cheap leather three-combo briefcase and jury-rigged the inside of it with elastic belt. When you opened it, there was eight quality 26 oz. bottles of hard liquor to complete the gift, four in each half. The elastic belts keep them from falling.

The best thing is that he presented the gift like a drug deal: you know, sets the briefcase down, opening it all cool and carefully with both hands so you could "see the goods". It was a nice touch.

20. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you guys not read that the gift recipient doesn't drink alcohol? Of course that could be a win-win for the giver if he knows there will be a good supply of booze for all his visits that year. My dad is like this. I got him a package of car washes/detailing services for the year and he was delighted. Has asked for it every year since. But my dad is really weird.