Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013-2014 NCAA football thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by McSmallstuff, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Dmix3

Dmix3
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really? I live in Alabama and I can guarantee you it won't shut up one Bama fan. If anything it will make them bolder since they "were one fuckin' luky fluke fuckin play from beatin you barners and getting our rightfully deserved third champeenship in four years, all hail Lord Saban". Exaggerated, but not by much. That being said War Damn Eagle and good fucking luck to FSU's defensive line, you know what's coming and coming and coming and coming.

2. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Never change Steve.
    "I didn't know Jadeveon's car that could go that fast. He doesn't have a pretty car like those FSU guys used to drive."

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Parents of the football players at Free Shoes must really love their kids, to not only send them to college but also save up to buy them that new Jaguar to take them from a-to-b.

4. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aww fuck Fresno State. I cannot say I was too surprised at the outcome given that USC sure turned their season around after getting a coach other than Lane Kiffin, but that is a tough way to finish a season when it looked like a Fiesta Bowl chance was there for so much of the season. Worst yet, unlike larger schools, Fresno State cannot just reload. It will be years, maybe a decade before they have chance like they had this year.

5. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So with the Oregon State win I have just tied my fiance in my families bowl picking pool. I'm not sure how I'm doing over all but I'm happy to be tied up with her since she has been talking craps since Washington handed that game to Colorado State.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how well the big ten teams are doing in these early games. I have no doubt Wisconsin and Nebraska will find a way to blow these leads, but frankly I was expecting Wisconsin to be down by 20 points already.

7. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Roses smell oh so sweet...Spartans defy the odds and come out on top as champs. Even without our defensive captain, they still pull it together and take home the W. Go fucking GREEN!!

8. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So in the last year of the BCS we are apparently going with the year of the upset?

I'm happy though, both Notre Dame and Mizzou won their bowl games. Boomer Fucking Sooner Fuck 'Bama Like They Asked You For A Nooner! This bowl season has been down right enjoyable, and for once it doesn't seem like there is a team that got fucked out a shot for the title.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ahem.

10. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems we did alright. That's even with the SEC is usually matched up something like SEC #5 - Other Conference #2.

Conference W L Pct.
    Sun Belt 2 0 1.000
    Southeastern 7 3 .700
    Pac-12 6 3 .667
    Independents 2 1 .667
    Big 12 3 3 .500
    Conference USA 3 3 .500
    Mountain West 3 3 .500
    Atlantic Coast 5 6 .454
    American Athletic 2 3 .400
    Big Ten 2 5 .286
    Mid-American 0 5 .000

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Whatever, I'm just glad they finally lost the title game and we'll get our joke of a playoff next season. I wonder how many people actually tune in to those meaningless bowl games. I don't watch all that much college football anymore (mainly over this issue) but even when I did I didn't give a shit about bowl season until January first. Depending on the year there might have been one or two exceptions to that.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Especially when you realize that with the current number of bowl games, it's actually harder to not go to a bowl game than to make it into one.

13. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: 2013-2014 NCAA football thread

I don't watch any Bowl game, they are meaningless money grabs, college football needs some serious work for the championship, the playoff is a joke in its current form but at least they are trying.

14. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Is there a more worthless major conference in the nation? I'd have more respect for it if the schools made academics a priority, but they're not any better than any of the other conferences, and their tradition is shitty football from the 1930s.

Yet, somehow the Big Ten produced both Tom Brady and Drew Brees, so who the fuck knows.

15. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not really sure where this is coming from considering that the Big Ten is mostly made up of schools that are very strong academically.

Compare the average US News rankings:
    Big Ten: 57
    ACC: 55
    SEC: 97
    PAC 12: 81
    Big 12: 112

And that's including Notre Dame in the ACC.

16. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

I should've clarified; I was referring specifically to how much emphasis they placed on football players' acedemic performance. Here's how the Big Ten stacks up against the other major conferences in terms of graduating their football players:

(2012 football graduation rates)
    Pac 10: 63%
    Big 10: 74%
    SEC: 67%
    Big 12: 65%
    ACC: 75%
    Big East: 70%

Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I don't see a difference of 7% [between the Big Ten and SEC] to be significant enough to justify the Big Ten's perpetual failures come bowl season.

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only that, but the excuses that most Big 10 fans make regarding academics as a reason for lack of success. Growing up in WI, I heard plenty of UW fans make excuses when losing another Outback Bowl to a SEC team that "well, we have true STUDENT ATHLETES" or some shit. As if their school, and all other Big 10 schools, didn't create majors like "Life Sciences Communications" for football players. John Clay, a star RB for UW a few years ago, was academically ineligible and they had to jump through hoops to get him admitted. And less than a year and change later, he was on honor roll with a 3.5. Not saying people can't improve, but don't piss in my face and tell me its raining.

18. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The funniest thing I ever saw in one of those player introductions was from a Big Ten school (albeit, not in the Big Ten at the time): a few years ago, multiple members of the Nebraska offensive line had majored in "Park, Recreation, and Leisure Studies." They literally studied how to have fun.

19. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's not a huge sample, but the standard deviation for that set is 4, so I'd say that 7 is definitely a significant difference. The whole discussion is pointless, though, considering that none of those football teams give half a rat's ass about academics.

20. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I was at work and couldn't find an amalgamation of graduation rates over an extended timeframe, so I just went with what I could put together quickly. But you're absolutely right with your last sentence, which brings me back to the frustration of how bad the Big Ten does in bowls. Though truthfully, my frustration has more to do with the style of football the Big Ten plays - old school power rushing. I really only follow the University of Minnesota, and not very closely at that, but I get sick and tired of how every new coach they bring in has the same plan: install a power rushing team with a strong defense. Maybe it's because they can't or don't know how to recruit players that will lend themselves to a more modern playstyle, but I for one am sick of the same old song and dance year after year.