Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2013-2014 NCAA football thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by McSmallstuff, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, they're doing about the same as they did in the Big 12, often one of the top two teams in the much weaker division. The top team in the SEC has been the best in the country for a while, but I'd say that the top 4 SEC teams versus their counterparts in the Big 12 over the last decade would have been about .500 either way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Florida stayed bad for a while, especially with Florida State and Miami both on the upswing and possibly poaching local recruits.

2. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

God I hope Michigan State beats Ohio. I think either Mizzou or Auburn give Florida state a better game. Honestly o think both Auburn and Mizzou are better than OSU, but I do recognize that being undefeated sh ould still count for something. So as much as it pains me to say this I think if Ohio state wins they should go to the title game. (Fuck I hate Ohio State. ) I suppose I could wish for Florida state to lose to Duke but shit ain't happening. Although I have to give Duke credit for a great year.

3. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think Auburn is actually all that good. Outside of beating Alabama in an incredibly sloppy game, what sort of resume do they have? Their only other noteworthy win was against an overrated A&M. The SEC has been dog shit this year, but everyone is too committed to the narrative.

I do find it interesting that no matter what happens, Michigan State is pretty much locked into the Rose Bowl.

4. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lets wait until after bowl season to proclaim that.

5. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah but by that same logic who has Ohio State beaten? I mean if they win the Big 10 their best win will be over Michigan State who lost to a puzzling Notre Dame. And really FSU has gotten where they are by beating the hell out of nobodies.

6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Muschamp has been put on notice. No matter how good your defense is, you need to score some points to win in the SEC.

Good enough on offense ain't good enough. Everybody has a good offense and a good defense. You cant be elite in 1 and barely serviceable in another.

7. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are being VERY generous with one...

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't see what you're basing this on. The SEC has won every title, but they've been winning most of their other bowl games too. Of course they're bound to lose some of those, but they've definitely done better than the big 12. Hell, in any of those years, including this one, if you took the top 4 of each conference and did a round robin against each other there's no way it would come out to .500

Also, while I think the SEC is in a bit of a down year I have to ask if you think the conference is 'dog shit' what conference do you think is good? I'm really not seeing another that's as good. The ACC is pretty much all Florida St. The big ten is awful. The PAC ten is a bunch of decent, but nothing special teams. As for Florida they could rebound in a couple years if they recruit well. Miami still has a bad reputation and Florida's defense was still pretty good this year.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, outside of the national title game, the SEC is 4-4 over the last 10 years in the Sugar Bowl, and they haven't appeared in the Fiesta, Rose, or Orange Bowls. The best non-BCS SEC team typically plays the best non-BCS Big-10 team in the Capital One Bowl, and those have been split 5-5 over the last 10 years.

It's also worth noting that those 7 national title games included a guaranteed SEC-SEC matchup, a game against Texas's backup quarterback, a game that Ohio State had no business being in, and a fluke win by Florida who only got into the game because no one wanted a rematch (that year, at least).

10. gogators

gogators
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fluke? 41-14 is not a fluke... it is a straight up ass whipping.

11. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Look at the bowl pairings. We play "better" teams in every bowl, but we damn sure go over .500.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, that bolded part is pure rationalizing. Look, you could write it off as circumstantial if it was two, or maybe even 3 in a row, but at 7 it's just making excuses. And that's 4 out of the last 5 the SEC won in the capital one bowl, but really, you have to look at all the bowl games, not just a couple that are more convenient. The computer I'm on is running like shit so I'm not going to bother looking them all up, but in recent years SEC teams have easily done better than .500 in their bowl games.

Oh, and with regards to the sugar bowl it's worth noting that it's often the second or third best SEC team against another conference's best team.

13. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Over the last 10 years:
    Sugar Bowl: 4-4
    Capital One Bowl: 5-5
    Cotton Bowl: 9-1
    Gator Bowl: 2-1
    Outback Bowl: 6-4
    Chick-fil-A Bowl: 5-5

I only see one bowl being dominated there.

And they've gone 1-3 in the last five Sugar Bowls.

Those three losses were handed out by Utah, #21 Louisville, and an Ohio State team that got shut out of the Rose Bowl. Big-10 runner-ups have won more Sugar Bowls in the last five years than the SEC has.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. Yep, that's well over .500. And I don't see them doing worse than .500 in any of those bowl games. The 7-0 in title games counts too, and for more if anything.

2. Ok...

3. Yeah, and 2 of those 3 teams were tops in their conference, and Ohio St was split with Wisconsin and a Michigan St. team that got killed that year. So I guess you're supporting the point I just made? I'm not sure what your point about the big ten sugar bowl games really is though because if you're trying to claim the big ten has been better that's just funny.

4. Isn't the cotton bowl a good indicator of how the top big 12 teams don't do well against the SEC?

15. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see a well over .500 record that also fails to account for 8 wins in the title game. It also fails to point out that those games usually pit SEC#whatever with OtherConference#1.

16. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the fucking fuck? Was that bullshit kick call a make up for the mizzou touchdown!

17. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HEY HOORAH MOTHER FUCKERS!!!

18. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love that the Sooners are in the Sugar Bowl vs. 'Bama. However, this is a tale of two teams. One, is lucky to be there and the other is arguably the best team in the country. Had Justin Gilbert hauled in that ball on OU's last drive yesterday or the ref's taken a second look at it, OU would not even be in the conversation. If Alabama doesn't lose on a crazy play against Auburn and then beat Mizzou, they are playing for a national title.

This is going to be an interesting month leading up to the Sugar Bowl for Sooner fans. While I'm happy the Sooners get to play in a BCS bowl and have a ten-win season, I'm not getting my hopes up. Alabama is beatable but so is Baylor and Texas, two teams that dominated OU. However, playing in a BCS bowl is great for the program. OU isn't expected to win, so a loss isn't that bad and a win would be incredible. Games like this can do a lot for recruiting, an area that the Sooners have struggled with as of recently.

Thoughts on Auburn vs. Florida State?

19. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it's hard to gauge Auburn vs. Florida State simply because I haven't see Florida State play a really tough team yet. I think there is a good chance Auburn wins simply because Florida State is going to have to adjust to a team that isn't scared of them scoring 1,000 points on them.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I am rooting for Auburn simply on the basis that it will finally shut Tide fans the fuck up. They are irritating people up here, that's how bad they've become.

Iron Bowl reaction videos are priceless.