Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the Marshall trade is great for Chicago. Cutler and Marshall were really good together in Denver, and it is a well known fact that Marshall and Cutler had a great relationship and were friends, to the point where Marshall demanded to be traded after Cutler was gone.

I think, as long as they're successful, things will go well. Chicago hasn't had a good QB or QB/WR combo in a long, long time. A healthy Forte, healthy Cutler, and Marshall give Chicago enough offensive weapons to at least be competitive. They had to do something with an aging defense. Marshall will also take attention away from Knox (pending he is healthy enough after that gruesome injury) and Hester, neither of whom were ever number 1 receivers, but were good enough to be number 2's with a good number 1 to take away some attention.

Plus, according to a lot of the radio I'm hearing, the Bears really want to sign Mario Williams. The problem was that they had to make a choice: Make a run at Vincent Jackson or at Mario Williams. Now they are free to offer a LOT of money to get Williams to Chicago.

Now, the last piece of the puzzle is their offensive line. They need to address some things there. If they don't get Williams, I expect them to make a hard run at Carl Nicks from the Saints.

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Vincent Jackson to Tampa.

Per Adam Schefter: 5 yrs, $55.55 million, including $26 million guaranteed. Seriously? Isn't Jackson going to be 29 this year? Why in God's name do you guarantee this much money to a guy who has a couple of years of productivity with a team that clearly regressed last year?

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I assume the guaranteed money is all front loaded. Notice how the guaranteed amount matches the first 2 years amount. All they really agreed to do was not cut him over the next two years.

And because you have cap room.

4. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Philip Rivers is crying right now. His only good receiver has only one good foot. Awesome.

The Bears also signed Jason Campbell to a one year deal to be their backup, so if Cutler goes down again, they won't be completely and totally fucked. Like that, too.

Now just go get Mario Williams.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I cant believe the Bears got him for a pair of 3s, thats insane. I was so excited I think I texted 5 people within 30 sec.

Rumors are Buffalo is in the lead for Williams at this point, but I can't understand why. Doesn't he want to win? If the Bears could somehow get Williams and then be able to use the draft for OL and Secondary help, good god, could be an even better offseason than getting Peppers. Hell it may already be considering Peppers was offset by a complete waste on Chester Taylor.

6. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And so it begins...

Make sure you tweet your friends when he's suspended by the NFL.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You are such a bitter little bitch when it comes to sports, good god. Enjoy Chad Henne.

8. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm bitter? You were doing the happy dance about stealing Marshall for (2) 3rd round picks. Now you know why. I am not bitter at all. I am VERY glad the Bears admitted they knew he was a bitchpuncher so they cannot rescind the trade.

We enjoyed Chad Henne, now it's time for somebody else to reap the benefits. I think Chad is a decent QB that suffered with bad Dolphins coaching.

And last time I checked, Henne and Cutler have the same amount of Superbowl rings that I do.

9. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

In the short term of course this hurts them. While IMO Marshall never lived up to his hype (I remember the year in Denver when he had 100+ catches he also had the most number of targets) he was still dangerous. While the pending investigation might have played a part in jettisoning him, I don't think 2 3rds were fair value. At least a 2nd and a 3rd.

So the Chargers go from the hammy problematic V-Jax to the maddeningly inconsistent Meachem. And the Pats are still standing pat (hah!) on any big moves. I was hoping they'd go after Jackson, and I think Mike Wallace is going to carry a tremendous price tag. Maybe a run at Williams.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. While subpar QB play and offensive play calling is partially to blame, he dropped way too many balls to be successful in a WC offense. The Dolphins never used him like Cutler did in Denver = chuck it up and let BM go get it. Neither the Dolphins QB's or the coaches had the balls for it. And I would have liked to see them keep Ginn for 1 year to see how he fit with Marshall. Another shortsighted move by Parcells.

Claims are that the Dolphins and Marshall's agent have been trying to make a trade for some time now. I think after the incident over the weekend (even if he did nothing wrong and is not charged, he is still involved in off the field bullshit he should be avoiding) the value dropped dramatically and the Dolphins took whatever they could get.

Peter King tweeted yesterday: (2) #2's in 2010, (2) #2's in 2012, which team is lining up for (2) #4's in 2014?

11. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Also, just as an aside, why does everyone hate Jason Campbell? He was playing well last year until he got hurt, but nobody talks about him and now he's off to back up Jay Cutler. The fuck? At least bring him in somewhere where he can compete for the #1 job and push the starter. I wonder why the Dolphins didn't look at him. That's one reason I hate shit like this Peyton Manning circus, it gives everyone tunnel vision.

And yes, I did hear this morning that more likely than not, that was the Fins best offer and they jumped on it. But now you're left with Hartline and Bess? The only reason the Pats were able to pull off the B to B- outside receiver with a really good slot guy was because of their TEs. Hartline isn't Branch and Fasano...well, he's Fasano.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dolphins owner wants a franchise QB, not another maybe. Campbell isn't bad. He was 4-2 in Oakland last year before he got hurt and they brought in Palmer.

I heard he was looking for a 1 year deal to try to get his name back out there and then try to compete for a starting job somewhere in 2013.

Odds are he will get a chance to play in Chicago cuz Cutler has to sit out every time he gets some sand in his vagina.

I don't know what the Dolphins plans are now for QB. Manning looks like he's going elsewhere, which I can't say I'm losing sleep over. The market for Flynn is not what it was hyped to be because everybody compares him to Kevin Kolb with less experience.

And the 3rd option for the Dolphins was Tannehill in the draft, but now it looks like Cleveland may be giving him a look at #4. No such thing as overpaying in the draft if you win.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because we've seen Jason Campbell's ceiling by this point, and it's fairly low. I personally like him, but last year was as good as Campbell will ever get (and probably better than he could sustain for an entire season). The only team I could plausibly see being interested in Campbell as a potential starter is the Jets, because they have most things except QB figured out and they could use him to push Sanchez, but they seem unlikely to actually go that route.

He's not going to make a bad franchise good, but he'll keep a good franchise in competition. Unfortunately, most of the already good teams have QB filled.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HIDE YO WIFE! HIDE YO KIDS! BRANDON MARSHALL IS OUT PUNCHIN' PEOPLE IN THE FACE!

I mention that this guy is bipolar to the guys in the office. "Oh no, he's getting help for that, and its no big deal." I walked in laughing my ass off. "I can't take my girl to the club because Brandon Marshall might punch her in the face." "I didn't know we lived in a country Parker where you were guilty before being proven innocent." "Dave, I know we live in a country where women don't randomly accuse men of punching them in the face."

15. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep the guy who missed 1 game his entire career until he broke the thumb on his throwing hand last year, mind you when he was chasing down a defender after a TO. Dude is one of the most durable QBs in the league, especially when you look at the punishment he took over the last 2 years. Hate him cause of his hair, cause he knocked up a MTV reality star, or because he is cuddly with the media, but for god sakes people need to quit acting like he is some pussy made of glass.

That being said, I'm far more confident with Campbell behind him than Hanie, Todd Collins, or some stiff on the roster just cause he once played in Martz' offense.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Add in douchebag, charisma void, douchebag, douchenozzle, unlikable sack of shit, womanizer, Houndstooth regular, and douchebag.

But he is not by any means a pussy.

17. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1.5 games. He missed the second half of a game against the Packers season before last.

He would have missed more games, but thank God it was only the NFC Championship game.

18. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The first one is redundant once you realize he is an NFL QB. However, its unfortunate that an impending child and marriage may prevent him from swilling pitchers of cheap beer at a poorly laid out, pseudo-country bar. I blame Greg Olsen being shipped out for all of this.

As for his 1.5 games that Gator felt the need to clarify, if you recall, the first one was league mandated after a concussion.

But how many high level football games have you played on a busted knee Gator? I'll hang up and listen

19. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Bucsw are going hog wild with this whole FA thing. They just added Lions CB Eric Wright and Saints OG Carl Nicks. Contract details for Jackson and Wright suggest that the contracts are heavily front loaded, with no signing bonus (signing bonuses are pro-rated across contract life according to NFL rules).

Redskins grabbed Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan. Rumors are that Eddie Royal will follow.

Reggie Wayne is apparently going back to Indy under a new, cheaper deal.

Cortland Finnegan to STL. They could use them; their secondary (and especially corners) were TERRIBLE last year.

I think Miami might be making a mistake in ignoring Paul Soliai while it focuses on Manning.

20. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You said 1, I just added the half.

None.

Same amount as Jay Cutler.