Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jesus, that's a lot of picks to throw at a big gamble. I mean, first overall QB picks for the last, say, 10 quarterbacks... they're batting about 50% (or less depending on your particular opinions) on whether you score a quality franchise quarterback, and some of them have even been disasters.

I'm not sure about setting them back decades, but certainly 5-10 years.

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What...are we surprised Dan Snyder made this move? He's like the Mark Cuban of the NFL, but much much dumber.

3. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RG may have a few decent seasons, but he isn't a pocket QB, he will get banged up trying to run the ball. They may tell him not to run, but its all he knows how to do under pressure. I see him getting hurt sooner rather than later.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because you're supposed to run under pressure. He won't be crossing the line of scrimmage as much in the nfl, but being a great scrambler certainly isn't a disadvantage for a QB. Bradford was a bigger injury risk than Griffin and that didn't deter teams. Nobody is going to pass on him for being too mobile, as well they shouldn't. Sure, he has to make some adjustments in how he approaches the game, but so does Luck and every college QB who declares for the draft.

5. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shannahan likes to run bootlegs and roll-outs. RG3 should fit well in that scheme. He's athletic as hell, but I think he's a pass first QB. Don't think I'd give up 3 first round picks for him, though. Should be interesting to see if he's more Donovan McNabb or Akili Smith.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/colts-enter-rebuilding-mode-by-cutting-5-bigname-players-636330.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... 36330.html</a>

This looks like a team committing suicide. I get losing Peyton to avoid spending $28 million on someone that just missed an entire season. I can maybe understand letting Wayne go as part of that sacrifice. But Dallas Clark? Joseph Addai? Dwight Freeney? The weird thing is, aside from Manning, they didn't really save a lot of cap space for 2013. So, what's the fucking point?

Who still wants to play for this team? How do you motivate players when so many top-tier veterans were just sent packing? I can't imagine them getting a heartfelt effort out of Kerry Collins, and I don't think Miles Austin or Pierre Garcon are thrilled about being the top receivers for a 39-year old sea captain. If I were Jeff Saturday, I would retire before the week was out: the only person older than him on that team is the guy he has to protect.

Also, this has to go down in history as one of the dumbest transitions: from Peyton Manning, one of the greatest qb's of all time, who's a little old and suffered some injuries for the first time in his career, to Kerry Collins, who is older and more injury-prone? If you're going to suck, and suck for a while, why not stick with Painter, who is at least cheap and could make some progress? It's not like anyone expects Kerry Collins to get better, and what do they expect their next qb to learn from him?

What a barrel of fuck.

7. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First, if you honestly think Kerry Collins will be starting, you're high. Andrew Luck will be the starting Colts QB next year, just like Peyton was in his first season with the Colts.

Second, Miles Austin? Last I checked, he started for the Dallas Cowboys, not the Indianapolis Colts. You may be thinking of Austin Collie, but I'm not really sure, since Austin Collie is a slot receiver on a mediocre team; he is a poor man's Wes Welker.

What a barrel of fuck indeed, sir.

Third, they're rebuilding. Even the team's owner has said they are rebuilding and they are "a few years away" from contending again. I think they are fully aware that they're going to be in the AFC cellar for the next few years, but I think they're okay with that, because they can stockpile high draft picks and rebuild a younger, talented team. If they do things right and Luck pans out, in three to four years they could be what Green Bay is now, and what they used to be. A young, strong, consistent contender. It all depends on Luck panning out.

We'll see how much interest Freeney garners on the free agent market, but I'm guessing he won't be getting Julius Peppers money or attention. Dallas Clark has shown that he really isn't that good without Peyton throwing to him, and Reggie Wayne wasn't going to stick with Indy knowing that they are rebuilding. As for Addai? I would be shocked if he started on any other NFL team. He wasn't that great in Indy, and given his age (29 by the time the next season starts, old for an RB) and injury concerns (hasn't played a full season in two years), I can't imagine him getting a shot at starting anywhere else.

All of the guys cut have a few things in common: They're older guys with only a couple of good seasons left in them, (I don't think Addai has even one good season left in him). Let them go and play on competitive teams, while Indy rebuilds. Why keep them around when you know you won't be competitive? Let some younger guys have the shot, so they can see what they have and what they need, and get better.

Indy for the next few years will be basement dwellers, until they are fully done rebuilding.

8. hotwheelz

hotwheelz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's looking more and more like the Broncos are getting Manning. I'm so confused right now. John Elway why must you fuck with my feelings this way?

9. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When you don't bring your agent or, more importantly, throw a ball, then you're not anywhere near signing a contract.

It's all leverage now. At least Peyton is classy enough not to visit teams that he has absolutely no intention of signing with.

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This right here. Putting Tebow under Manning for a year would be perfect for him. It's not that Tebow's throwing mechanics are off, it's his thought processes that need work also. Manning could help him read the field and defenses.

I still think he's going to Miami with Wayne in tow.

11. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manning in Miami or Tebow under Peyton?

I can tell you which one Parker is googling right now...

12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Woof.

I guess we can count out both teams for making runs at anybody that won't sign for the league minimum. If I was a Cowboys or Redskins fan, I'd be pissed at my FO.

13. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

14. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The way the Saints have played this negotiation, I wouldn't rule it out for 2013... Fuck knows Alex Smith can't be a long-term solution in San Fran

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good Luck Bears. He's your problem now.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7682163/2012-nfl-free-agency-miami-dolphins-trade-brandon-marshall-chicago-bears-sources-say" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... ources-say</a>

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So does this mean the Dolphins don't actually want Peyton Manning? Because Miami probably looks a hell of a lot less intriguing without their premier receiver.

17. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As a Dophins fan I'm trying to make sense of this. He was worth more than what they got. He was back to form once he got on his meds and he would have been a plus in signing Manning I would think. I'm not sure how to spin this into a positive.

18. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of the many reasons that Manning was not interested in the Dolphins from the media coverage following him from the airport after the Colts cut him and he flew to Miami, to not wanting to be in the same division as the Pats/Brady to no confidence in 1st year HC was the fact that Brandon Marshall is nuttier than squirrel shit.

I have to figure it was to sign somebody in FA because we got dry raped on that one.

19. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like Pierre Garcon is signing with the Redskins.

If the Dolphins getting rid of Marshall was supposed to free up room for Garcon... Whoops.

Maybe they're looking to make a run at Wayne and Dallas Clark

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the Patriots don't sign a top WR, I'm going to kill someone. We need a deep threat WR. WALLACE! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!