Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey...look on the bright side. You've always got Charlie Whitehurst!

(too soon?)

2. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If the Patriots don't drop cash on either Mario Williams or Mike Wallace I'm going to cry. We have two glaring problems, we can put zero pressure on QBs and don't have a deep threat. If we can fix those two problems, we'll be fine now that we figure out how to get The Lawfirm running.

I feel sorry for all you bastards if Peyton goes to the Redskins. If Andrew Luck is a bust, I'm going to bust up laughing (see what I did there?)

3. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

According to the local tv station:

FYI, Peyton Manning is on the ground, he landed at Opa-Locka Airport and just got off his plane just before 4:30

4. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That might have bothered me if we still had Whitehurst on the roster. His contract is up. I think he'll be fine working as Jake Gyllenhaal's stand-in. Barring that, he can stand on a corner somewhere and proclaim he's Jesus.

As far as Arizona goes, that place probably makes the most sense. If I remember correctly, Kolb's contract was setup in such a way that if he flamed out, Arizona could get out of it without too much trouble. Arizona pulled this act before with Kurt Warner and there's no reason to believe that it couldn't be done again. With a year or two behind Manning, John Skelton could be better situated to take over when Manning retires.

The NFC West is no joke anymore. It's gotten nasty and physical. The 49ers went 13-3 based on a suffocating defense and strong running game. Arizona started 1-6 and finished 7-2. St. Louis hired Jeff Fisher and some guy that put bounties on hurting people. Even though Seattle went 7-9, 5 of their losses were decided by a touchdown or less. And I'll take the Pepsi Challenge on having the best home field advantage in the league.

5. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To me, Matt Flynn is Kevin Kolb/Charlie Whitehurst.

The most popular guy on the team is always the backup QB.

"Give him a shot. Let's see what he can do. Couldn't get much worse".

Uh, yes it can. You can give him a big contract after you trade draft picks to get him and then have him shit the bed.

Draft & develop.

6. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Think of Manning like a younger Favre with less ego issues, who is also a better player. If he passes the medical evaluations for these teams they have to take a stab at him. Favre had the jets in great position before he was naive enough to play through an injury. Then he came very close to winning it all with the vikings. Manning will be a looking for a team built to compete now since he's in his twilight, and most of these teams will gamble on the injury risk if it means a shot at the super bowl. The contract will put a dent in the team, but it's not as if they have to be dumb like Oakland and give up years of draft picks for players they think can elevate them.

Edit:
    Nobody really knows what Flynn can do. He's had what? 3 good games? Rodgers just hasn't been hurt enough to find out. He's a hell of a lot better than that clown Brohm we drafted 5 rounds before him, I'll say that much.

7. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who was the last backup to go somewhere else and make it big?

Cassell? Schaub? Moore?

Eh. They're all OK, but they were backups for a reason.

The good backup plays well enough to take the job from his own team's #1 QB, not somebody else's.

8. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Matt Hasselbeck immediately comes to mind. Then again, he was traded for and had the guy that coached Montana, Young and Favre teaching him.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sometimes you just have to sit. See: Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Wasn't Cassell on a 10-6 team that won despite having Chris Chambers, Jackie Battle, and Terrance Cooper as their offensive weapons? Improving for 4-12? Come on now.

Also on the flip side, Matt Moore made your Dolphin's season less pathetic. Coaching, WRs, and offensive game planning have a huge impact on QBs.

Schaub is also a damn good QB held back by his coach. Definitely not a back-up for a reason. He was sitting behind Michael Fucking Vick.

10. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With Flynn it's because he didn't appear to be a good prospect out of college, and he'll never start ahead of Rodgers. The scouts are wrong all the time, and these players have to prove themselves on the field before any team gives them the contract they want. He's worth about a seconder rounder if I had to guess, but we'll see what interest teams have. Considering the deals the guys you listed received, it could easily be higher. And Schaub is a very good football player, except for the part where you have to stay upright...

11. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am all for sitting and learning. I think I am the one that said "Draft and develop." Sometimes the "throw them in the deep end of the pool" works (Manning and Aikman come to mind) and sometimes that kills a QB's confidence and they never are the same.

And Brady and Rodgers didn't win their jobs through competition, so I wouldn't use those as examples of guys that "had to sit."

Since when is 10-6 making it big? And what has he done with better weapons? Not much.

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Flynn is an UFA, so nobody has to trade for him. People could see the writing on the wall, so they knew he would be available. He is going to get paid this offseason because the QB crop coming out of college is weak.

Scouts are wrong all the time. But for every Tom Brady there are 2-3 Brady Quinn's.

Teams and fans fall in love with a backup that comes in and does well over 3 or 4 games and that doesn't always translate into full time success. Plus, there are guys that are only successful under 1 system or 1 coach.

Schaub and Cassell and Kolb are all solid players, but are they elite? Are they killers? The jury is still out.

13. _RL

_RL
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Way to forget to mention Dwayne Bowe and Jamaal Charles as offensive weapons on that 10-6 team, ding dong.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Goddamn it, no one else was going to catch that because no one cares enough about the Chiefs to look it up!

Well Bill Barnwell has a pretty interesting sell on Matt Flynn here that is very optimistic. The unknown promise is way better than the known pile of shit you currently have.

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not everybody uses Google like you use Google...to quench their cockthirst.

And don't call him a 'ding dong', please. Now he's gonna spend all afternoon looking for pictures of Dwayne Bowe's cock. (You know..."as a joke".)

In more important news, Marino & Manning hitting the links this afternoon. The Dolphins are on Manning like a priest on an altar boy.

16. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fuck you Gator, you better hope all this shit talk doesn't ruin your teams football karma. It would suck if you guys went another decade swimming in QB mediocrity for another decade. Actually...no it wouldn't.

12 fucking teams hit up Manning's reps? Wow.

I love how the Jets on that team. Yes Mark Sanchez, you fucking suck and are not the franchise. Still think KC shouldn't go HAM on Manning unless they go and trade him for other pieces. I think Cassel can get it done and won't cost a fuck ton.

17. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Manning is not playing in KC or Denver. No chance he goes to a cold weather team. And no chance he puts up with Rex Ryan's bullshit. Manning couldn't handle Tony Sparano's 3pts and a cloud of dust offensive philosophy.

It's going to get real interesting come Tuesday when the other FA come available. Miami can't do anything until it figures out what it's going to do at QB next year. It hasn't signed any of it's own FA or can't really be any sort of player without knowing how much cap room Manning or Flynn are gonna eat up.

Manning should just invite the couple teams he is interested in to Miami, hold a "Pro Day" and then make a choice.

18. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny how no one has really mentioned the fact that Reggie Wayne got on national TV and all-but-said he considers himself a package deal with Manning.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Per Jay Glazer, Skins trade (3) #1 picks plus to move up to #2.

20. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo