Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Blue Dog, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Exactly. You can yank Tebow for a guy that throws a nice spiral and completes 60% of his throws but the Broncos lose and then where are you?

After Marino, the Dolphins had Damon Huard as their QB. They were convinced he wasn't good enough so they went out and got Jay Fiedler. He took them to the playoffs, but that wasn't good enough so they brought in a bunch of other guys that were "better". Brian Griese, Ray Lucas, AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, and on and on and on.

If they would have stuck with Fiedler and shown confidence in him, they might have made the playoffs a couple more times and been able to draft/groom a QB rather than jamming sub par QB's in for a quick fix.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7606637/peyton-manning-miami-dolphins-billboard-site-launched" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76066 ... e-launched</a>

So this happened to the poor, downtrodden Miami fans.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Man, I like this dude. Not that Luck is some cocky dickhead like Newton, but RG3 just exudes "face of a franchise" where Luck just seems kind of awkward and goofy, a sports nerd of sorts.

4. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This could get ugly.

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76386 ... m-nfl-says</a>

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

No wonder Brees comes off as being squeaky clean.

This kind of shit is what ruins it. Being a Packer fan especially, I am pissed.

6. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Saints have been dirty for a while. No one wanted to acknowledge it because OMG DREE BREES!11!!! and the constant media/bandwagon fan hard-on. This doesn't surprise me even in the slightest.

The Kurt Warner and Brett Favre effectively career-ending kill shots are the most egregious, but just off the top of my head the Saints had numerous dirty plays this past season: Adrian Peterson, Nate Washington, Steve Smith.

They've thoroughly earned any penalties that are coming to them. I'd bet a single-game suspension for Payton, multiple games for Williams (if not a season; the Washington Post reports he had a similar system in place with the Redskins), fines by the boatload and this year's second and next year's first-round picks. I'm most interested to see what comes to Mickey Loomis, not only from the NFL but from owner Tom Benson.

With "player safety" being the buzzword throughout the past few seasons and the lockout, the book is about to be thrown.

7. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275448d/article/saints-gm-reportedly-calls-brees-very-good-but-not-great?module=HP11_headline_stack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack</a>

That sound you just heard was the Saints organization imploding.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HOLY SHIT

(I knew this was coming though.)

9. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: Re: 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

They should have just announced it immediately after the superbowl, everyone knew Irsay wasn't gonna cough up another 28 million. It lasted way longer than it needed to.

Not an NFL fan in general but Peyton going to the skins would be something, no fucking way he goes to the Jets.

10. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They could have announced it after they locked up the #1 overall pic.

You don't have to worry about the Skins or the Jets.

[​IMG]

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're kidding right? If he's in the division, Tom Brady + Belichick are going to go H.A.M. every time they play Miami. No way those fish get close to the Patriots. The Dolphin's defense is worse than the Colts D was. 99 yard TD anyone?

12. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Do you actually WATCH football, or do you do it like you do the NBA? i.e. Just stare at their crotches the whole game until curiosity gets the best of you and you wind up googling random cocks for the remainder of the 2nd half.

Miami had one of the top defenses last year. 1 TD does not a season make.

And Manning is not my first choice. Neither is Flynn. Draft and develop is the only way to go.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He watches, but any discussion is an opportunity to explain why the patriots are going to own.

There's about a dozen teams that should be showing interest in Manning. They'll run their health evaluations and determine what he's worth, which will be a lot less than what the colts were going to pay. Seattle, Miami, and Washington are the front runners in my mind. Seattle has a lot of incentive because of their spot in the draft. They won't get a 'ready to start' QB.

14. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Patriots beat the Dolphins 38-24. They went on to lose 7 straight games by a 10, 1, 10, 18, 3, and 3. That's 3 games lost by more than a TD. Yeah, great defense.

This was there regular season stats, I can't seem to their 2011 post season stats....

Jesus Christ, I make one Greg Oden dick joke and now I love all cocks! Not fair.

15. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They gave up less than 20 points per game. They weren't bad, especially considering they had to play Tom 'my dick is longer than the football field' Brady twice.

16. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You used 1 TD as an example of how bad their defense was. They were horrible the first 7 games of the year. Tebow dry raped them in the 4th quarter.

They also won 6 of their last 9, with 2 of the 3 losses by 1pt and 3pts. They were 6th in pts given up per game and 3rd in rushing yards give up per game. Definitely better than the Colts on any level (and the Pats on EVERY level.)

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insinuate that you loved all cocks. I didn't realize you had it whittled down to a couple select favorites. My bad!

And I am not sure where you're from, but suggesting that somebody should "google Greg Oden's cock" is not a joke where I'm from.

17. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a great joke given the fact we were talking about one leg being shorter than the other. Anyway, back to this thread.

I'm betting he'll go to Washington or Miami. They have the money and can work with a solid 2-3 year plan to have a run at it.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think I might be the only person in Seattle who isn't thinking about Manning and stroking his crotch. I'll grant you that Tarvaris Fucking Jackson (his Christian name, according to some) isn't and never will be a #1 QB, but he fits the offensive system the Seahawks run.

Seattle's offense is predicated on a strong running game that uses a lot of bootlegs and play action in the passing game. Whomever plays QB for Seattle in the future doesn't have to be THE GUY. All they really have to be is someone that can throw the ball deep to keep defenses from lining up 8-9 guys in the box. The fact that Seattle's two starting wideouts are 6'4" Sidney Rice and 6'5" Mike Williams means that you don't even have to be particularly accurate. Just throw it high enough and they can get it.

Tarvaris Fucking Jackson is going to be replaced, of that I'm certain. But with Peyton Manning? I doubt it.

Manning is not mobile. He's elusive in the pocket in that he can take a step in any direction to make pass rushers miss. But I've never seen him run more than 5 yards ever. Manning's injury history has been repeated ad nauseum, so I'll skip it. Suffice it to say, Seattle's offensive line was pretty good in run blocking. Not so much in pass blocking. Jackson got the fucking snot beat out of him so bad he tore his pectoral muscle in the middle of the season. I can't see Manning playing a full 16 games. And with questions about his arm strength, I don't think he'll be able to keep defenses honest enough to keep safeties out of the box.

I've read a couple of tweets from journalists saying that Seattle is going to sign both Manning and Reggie Wayne, and change up their entire offensive gameplan to fit Manning's skill set. Not only does that fly in the face of everything Carroll and GM John Schneider has ever said since they've taken over, but it's completely retarded. Seattle has spent the past two years rebuilding with a power run offense and stout defense. Switching everything out for Manning would require a switch to a finesse passing attack with a speedy, attacking defense built upon the assumption that your opposition is playing from behind. By the time Carroll and Schneider get the guys that fit with that offense and defensive philosophy, Manning will have retired. Or at the very least fallen off the list of elite QBs if he hasn't already.

Jackson has one year left on his contract. Draft someone in the first or second round, groom him for a year and let him take over. Or sell the farm and trade up with someone to get Robert Griffin. Especially since Seattle is on the rise and will probably be drafting late anyway. What they shouldn't do is spend money and a roster spot on a guy that will be around for a maximum of 2-3 years, who has a ton of health questions, and has been out of the game for over a year.

Spend it on Mario Williams instead.

19. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I read that Carroll is waiting on Barkley to come out next year. The QB pool will be a lot deeper next year.

Manning is only a band-aid. Anybody that signs him will be in the same rudderless ship in 2-3 years.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

While having Barkley would be pretty awesome, a lot could happen between now and draft day next year. Like a catastrophic injury, or regression. Plus there's that whole "Potential #1 Pick" to worry about too. I'm not going to lie. I've got a man crush on a certain QB from Baylor. I got to see the damage he could do in the Alamo Bowl when Baylor eviscerated my beloved Huskies.