Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012-2013 Soccer Thread (Premier League, ECL, etc)

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by RCGT, Jul 9, 2012.

1. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haven't seen the goals, but I heard it was an offside hat-trick. Impressive.

2. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Good. Fuck you Barcelona. Possession doesn't mean squat when you can't get shots off.

3. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a Barcelona fan, but I do love watching them play. Their technical ability and precision is breathtaking to watch when at full display. That being said, Bayern completely outplayed them and Heynckes putting on a coaching master class. Bayern matched their technical ability and then played them much more physical. I think the decisive factor was how Bayern played the middle of the field. As opposed to sitting back and giving Barca space so as not to be beaten, like many teams, they pressed and closed off the field. They also marked Barca's men off the ball tighter so they couldn't easily waltz into space after the pass as they often do. Couple this with an aggressive offensive mindset, and Barca was shellshocked.

Not having a healthy Messi sucks, but I don't think it would have mattered. That was a soccer master class by Bayern.

4. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    The major difference between the two teams was Thomas Müller - Barcelona have no-one like him. You never know what Müller will do - will he run at the defense or push wide and swing in a cross? He is equally good at both in my opinion and has many more games where he is awesome than ones where he is off. You kind of know what Messi will do - about 80% of the time he will try a jinking run through midfield and defense and, if a team-mate runs into space, crack off a pass; if no team-mate is in play, he'll have a go himself. I haven't seen Messi do many high crosses - it always seems to be a low, fast ball, if he is supplying a team-mate; Müller is much more flexible in this regard. Not sure what you guys think but I'm certain many teams have started to coin on to Messi. I think Barcelona signed Sanchez for something different but it doesn't seem to have worked - the only player from Barcelona to feed high balls in seems to be Dani Alves. Messi has a lot of goals in the Spanish league because, in my opinion, it is a lower class of league with much fewer really competitive teams and desperately poor financial management and, as a result, fuck-all money to spend on players and improving teams - there are only 2 top teams which are Barcelona and Real Madrid and maybe 3 others fighting over the Europa League places - Atletico Madrid, Valencia and maybe Sevilla. I mean, how the fuck does an outstanding talent like Michu go for £2 million?! Look at the Spanish national side: aside from David Silva and Santi Cazorla, almost the entire team is comprised of Barcelona and Real Madrid players. Barcelona and Real Madrid need more effective opposition in their own league to become better teams - yes, they are both very good at the moment, but they both got thumped by German teams, who play in a league with more difficult opposition week in, week out (e.g. Werder Bremen, Hamburger SV, 1.FC Kaiserslautern, Bayer Leverkusen, FC Schalke 04, Eintracht Frankfurt, Borussia Mönchengladbach - only Bremen out of those have not won a major European trophy at least once).

Bayern will thump every team next season after they get Guardiola as coach and Götze to partner Müller in the attacking midfield slot...

Summary: Spain could be the new Scotland if they're not careful. 2 great teams does not a league make. A strong league is needed for truly strong teams to emerge.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Messi doesn't feed high balls in cause Barcelona has nobody to go up and get them. Barcelona doesn't have anyone over 5'10 in the mid to front portion of the field other than Busquets. You look at Bayern and Muller, Kroos, Gomez, Robben, and even Pizzaro, are all either right around 6'0 or taller. They just have more height to play a different type of game when it comes to crosses. I get what you're saying, but I also find it hard to believe that Messi wouldn't be able to start supplying a different type of cross if suddenly Barcelona had an aerial threat like Llorente on their team.

As far as La Liga, I think rumors of its demise are greatly exaggerated. Its absolutely a two team league, but teams like Sevilla, Atletico, Valencia, and even Espanyol, have had success not only in Spain, but in the Europa league in the last 5-10 years. A lot of leagues tend to be cyclical. I think your comment about Spain becoming Scotland is a bit ridiculous however. Celtic and Rangers dominated a lower level league but never even sniffed becoming a power player on the European stage. That's leading into my next point. Spain has far superior developmental academies and is farming out great players all over Europe. Even guys like Pique, Fabregas, and Alonso were playing elsewhere before coming home. And its not as completely dominated by Real and Barcelona as you might think, maybe because you are thinking of the stars. Look at the roster, its more than 50%, sure, but its not completely isolated. If Barcelona and Real were solely developing and/or buying foreign talent to maintain dominance, that would be one thing. They just happen to be massively successful clubs that attract Spanish talent that want to come back home and still play for a power.

6. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Aston Villa 6 Sunderland 1. So that just happened, and it had to be Benteke. He has been fucking ruthless for Villa this season. Because of his exceptional performances, Villa deserve to stay up. Can any of you guys think of an occasion where one player has battled so hard to keep his team in this league? This relegation battle is going to be fascinating - Norwich, Sunderland, Villa, Newcastle and Wigan to scrap it out for the one remaining relegation place - it's impossible for QPR and Reading to stay up and no-one except their fans would want them to, since both have been dreadful in their own way (Reading because they don't have much money or ability to attract talent and QPR because Joey Barton, Harry Redknapp, Taarabt and Bosingwa (most over-rated full-back ever) are all so thoroughly dislikeable.

7. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

So, Sir Alex has finally announced his retirement (I won't bother putting up a link since it's on practically every news channel). Who do you guys think will succeed him? Moyes seems to be the most likely, but I can't see him (or the other candidates) winning titles with MUFC quickly if he is appointed because I think the Glazers would put greater financial prudence into place with any new manager that comes in, which may well put off the likes of Ancelotti, Mourinho and Jürgen Klopp, although Moyes might be able to do well on a limited budget but title wins couldn't be likely on limited funds. I don't think it'll be Michael Laudrup, either, due to his relative lack of managerial experience. I think the two likely dark horses for this job would be Heynckes (who would also be available freely after his contract with Bayern Munich expires, but would likely not be a long-term appointment due to age) and Pellegrini (not much younger than Heynckes, but has run financially prudent teams before Malaga). Hell, I think even Wenger's head may be turned with a job offer if he was approached.

Either way, this is great news for Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal fans, as it now really opens the title race up for the next few years.

8. Fusion

Fusion
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Either way, this is great news for Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal fans, as it now really opens the title race up for the next few years.[/quote]

Good coverage of the front-runners.

1) David Moyes: Has good experience of the Premiership and has consistently reached high standings with Everton on a shoe-string budget. The way he conducts himself and his professionalism is similar to SAF. Probably bring Baines and Fellaini if did go.

2) Jürgen Klopp: Has done wonders with Dortmund over the years, his experience in the CL would help push Man Utd further as they have struggled recently in Europe and he would be able to get Gundogen and Lewadowski to the club.

3) Jose Mourinho: Only manager which has the trophies and awards to be SAF predecessor. Although look at those clubs he has left, none have been the same since. He never sticks around when the going gets tough, but he would really help Man Utd continue there success.

9. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

So it's Moyes.

I'd rather have to play one of his teams (for the next 6 years, hahaha) than one of those formed by Pellegrini, Klopp or, worse, Ancelotti.

Ancelotti might well have phoned up The Bearded Wonder (Pirlo) and offered a contract... thank goodness that won't happen now.

10. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Moyes to United? The #WengerOut brigade must be kicking themselves.

11. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Champions League final, who you got?

Personally I'm gonna be rooting for Dortmund, I like the way Klopp runs that team and their focus on developing talent. Their fan support is also ridiculous.

13. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Now that I *finally* have internet again, I'll be rooting for Bayern. They have been to the final at least twice in the last decade (2010 being the most recent) and lost on both occasions - it'd be nice for Heynckes to win another trophy before he retires. Also, Bayern have a lot of players who have performed really well over the last few years in European competition and haven't yet won "Bunny Ears", Lahm in particular.

14. FreeCorps

FreeCorps
    Expand Collapse
    #1 Internet Boo

Nobody is going to at least bring up that ridiculous defensive breakdown by Dortmund? As a rightback I was just shaking my head. Granted, the back touch pass was pretty sweet, and Robben did well to handle it going 100 miles per hour, but come the fuck on.