Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2012-2013 Soccer Thread (Premier League, ECL, etc)

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by RCGT, Jul 9, 2012.

1. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's that time of the year again. The new Premier League season begins August 18th. Discuss all things divegrass here.

The big transfer rumor currently is Robin van Persie's impending departure from Arsenal. Arsene Wenger's brought in striker Olivier Giroud from Montpelier and Lucas Podolski, the German winger, but how much they'll fit into his 4-3-3 system and replace RvP remains to be seen. For all the speculation, I really don't think RvP will be going to another Premier League side - the things I've read give me the sense that he respects the club and Wenger too much for that. If I had to guess, I'd say he's probably headed to Juve or Barça.

As great as Wenger has been, it's looking more and more like the board won't let him spend the money he needs to spend to keep his best players - Fabregas, Nasri, Clichy, and now RvP. This open letter from Arsenal part-owner Alisher Usmanov really pins the blame on the current board:

2. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love the transfer season. So many rumors and speculations flying around. I find it amusing how Arsenal fans continually villify their stars for leaving to get the paychecks they deserve. We've all seen how fast the decline is, especially for a striker like RvP, you have to get paid when you can.

My current favorite rumor is Dempsey to Liverpool.
    <a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-liverpool-close-signing-clint-024800665--sow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-liv ... --sow.html</a>

I was even coming to grips with Dempsey going somewhere like Chelsea or Man City, just cause I really wanted him to play at the highest level. But my favorite player coming to my favorite EPL team? Glory glory hallelujah.

3. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I've been an Arsenal fan for a long time and have gotten used to their star players leaving. I dont see how the RvP situation will be any different.

4. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I'm also an Arsenal fan.

It's because Wenger keeps opening the cheque book for young players and big wage demands - like that waste of space Denilson and his rumoured £60000 per week wage, so there is little left in the coffers to pay for the real stars like RvP. What the hell does Denilson do to earn this? Does he suck a mean dick or something? He was so bad he was sent out on loan for last season AND HAS ALREADY LEFT ON LOAN AGAIN for fucks' sake! Diaby is probably earning the same amount - this is why Arsenal will continue to finish outside the top two: paying top dollar salaries for over-rated crap. I think those two clowns would have trouble making Southampton's Reserve team. Don't get me started on Regressive Ramsey either.

There was also a rumour of Chamakh to Fiorentina - with him gone, we might be able to get a decent forward.

Arsenal still need at least one centre-half (please, Squillaci and Djourou, for the love of God, fuck off), at least two holding midfielders (Song will not do that job, like he was bought for - hoping for M'Vila here but who knows), a decent right-sided player (to be funded by the sale of Arshavin, who only plays well for Russia) and at least one forward (Chamakh and Vela are both wastes of space - I'd like to see a big, burly guy up front who can hold the ball up, since they have enough small technique-driven players and could use a Plan B). I hope Bartley can get some games and doesn't disappear on loan again.

When RvP leaves, I will wish him well, but the club *must* get a sale long before the end of this transfer window (hopefully before next month) in order to have enough time to purchase someone else before the start of the season and get them a bit settled. It's imperative to get a settled squad and not have these last-second sales (Na$ri, Fabregas), or else it'll be another awful start like last season.

5. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Honest to fuck, Denilson is probably the biggest waste out of all of them. I've still got a bit of hope that Alex Song will step up. He's been the biggest disappointment for me.

6. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

The biggest waste for me is Diaby, because he can be sublime and show real skill in one match and then absolute rubbish for ten matches in a row after that. Denilson is just almost always shit - he's like Liverpool's Lucas, but shittier in that he cannot shield the defense.

Song will be turned into yet another attacking midfielder and we'll yet again have no defensive midfielder of any quality (Ramsey is still shit and not suited to this position anyway) unless someone is signed soon...

7. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Arsenal, check out the new away kit.

[​IMG]

How can Nike make such a classic home kit and such an abomination of an away kit? Jesus.

8. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I fucking haaaate the purple. And why have shirts been getting tighter over the past few years? and how come women's shirts have NOT been getting tighter? back ass-wards if you ask me.

9. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That must be the theme. Liverpool took a risk going with Warrior, a Lacrosse company who never made soccer kits, and they were delivered a classic home kit and two ridiculous other kits.

Home:
    [​IMG]

Just classic, but then comes the away kit...
    [​IMG]

What the hell, is that a wetsuit? Is this a football club or a surfing squad?

Then, this, just, I...
    [​IMG]

Clearly LPFC wants the American bro market. Good god, the purpilish grey is one thing, but tribal arm bands? Sweet lord in heaven...

10. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Next you will see Tap-Out making jerseys. Or at least sponsoring them. You heard it here first.

11. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And here is Barca's home. Apparently Nike just discovered the gradient function on Photoshop.

[​IMG]

12. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

13. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

14. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm so sure about that. I think Song was great last season, and let's not forget about Arteta and Wilshere. Add Podolski who can play the role of an attacking midfielder, there are some great options without having to push Song upwards.

Giroud will do well as a striker, even if RVP would have been the best option. Also, Walcott really upped his level at the end of the last season and showed that he can score, but most importantly make assists.
    Switching over to a 4-2-3-1 formation could be a winner. Giroud up top, Podolski on the left, Arteta in the middle, Walcott/Wilshere on the right. Solid attack.

The biggest question mark for me is, as always, the defence.

Having said all that, I agree with the sentiment that Wenger really needs get rid of the players who are not contributing anything, and start opening up his wallet for some quality defensive mids and centre backs if Arsenal is going to have a chance to reach the top next season.

15. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

I didn't forget about Arteta - the problem is that Song *cannot* defend. At all. Either Wilshere or Arteta (or in tandem) will be used as deep-lying midfielders to break up attacks and shield the centre-backs. It's a waste of their talent, but Song can't defend - he's useless against aerial balls and cannot pass the ball out of defense (this is a strength for Arteta; Wilshere, from what I have seen, is also patient on the ball).

I think Walcott will leave right after RvP - I, for one, will not miss him. Too big a pay cheque for too little reward. He still cannot make his feet and brain work together - his first touches used to be comically bad, and are only slightly better now in that he doesn't knock the ball twenty feet in front of him, but only five feet in front of him. Maybe Southampton would like him back?

One player who has really improved is Rosicky, at long last. I thought Wenger was daft to give him a new deal when he did, but he played well last season.

So, here's who I am hoping will leave: RvP for a decent amount (£15-20 million is realistic), Walcott (£10 million is probably all they can get), Diaby (swap for a packet of Lay's crisps?), Squillaci (pay someone else £250k to take him), Djourou (was apparently wanted by Fiorentina - hope he goes soon), Vela (not sure what he's worth), Chamakh (needs to go - he looked awful last season), Bendtner (wanted by many - hope he goes for about £10-15 million after his showing at Euro 2012) at least.

16. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And then if we could maybe pick up this guy:

Ridiculous reflexes. Hoping he doesn't end up going to Tottenham.

#16 RCGT, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  17. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Maybe you're right, I didn't watch enough of the first half of the season to say against you regarding Song. Maybe they would do better to push him forwards like you said - there's nothing wrong with his forward passing. His amazing cross to Van Persie against Everton sticks out. Otherwise agreed about Diaby, Squillaci, Djourou, Vela and Chamakh. Honestly, I'd add Gervinho to that list. Especially now that Podolski and Giroud are on the squad.

I didn't follow the Championship except check which teams were doing well last season, anyone got any predictions on Southampton's Lambert? Judging by goals scored last season he could be an interesting player to watch this season.

18. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Gervinho played extremely well in the first half of last season - I think he struggled a little with tiredness after February, due to the Ivory Coast's win in AFCON and being involved in all or almost all of their matches. I think Gervinho still has a lot to offer, due to the large number of tricks he has at his disposal, and he's only been there one season - the same reason Mertesacker can't be written off yet either. Mertesacker may be big and slow but he brings some aerial prowess and he doesn't pick up injuries easily - I read somewhere that he spent most of the end of last season with a different training regime so he could adapt better for this upcoming season.

I also have high hopes for Kyle Bartley, who spent the last two seasons on loan with Rangers, where he apparently did quite well - I think it would be a waste of time for him to go back there, now that they're in the Third Division in Scotland, especially since Arsenal are a bit thin on right-back cover for Sagna. I wonder if Arsenal could pick up Maurice Edu from them?

I just hope the RvP transfer can be wrapped up quickly so some training time without him can get put in, so that Arsenal can adapt to life without him.

As for Southampton, I haven't seen much of the Championship, but I do know that they signed Jay Rodriguez from Burnley last week for about £6 million, and they're trying to get Steven Davis from Rangers but the SPL won't release those players and the newco Rangers are trying to sue for breach of contract...

19. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#19 RCGT, Jul 21, 2012
  20. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Makes it look easy. Goddamn legend.

Speaking of which, I've actually started following MLS a little, with the NY Redbulls as a centrepoint, purely because Henry went there, and I started playing a campaign with them in Fifa. Which is exactly what, I assume, the point was with signing him. So, well done, NY Redbulls.

#20 Psk, Jul 21, 2012