Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by rbz90, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have no doubt that we will win at home.

At there will be much rejoicing.

Downtown will be fucking INSANE.

2. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a die hard Bruins fan, and I'm sadly going to agree with you. The B's have done fuckall performance wise while playing the Canucks when they're not on their home turf. Sigh...

3. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

4. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thought I'd bring to the forefront the comments of The Black Don Cherry.

This series thoroughly confuses me. Consider the following:
    1) Home ice is barely an advantage in the NHL. The home team only won 51% of games this season.
    2) The Canucks were basically the same team home and away (27-9-5 vs. 27-10-4
    3) The Bruins were slightly better away from home (22-13-6 vs. 24-12-5).

And yet....the Canucks squeeze by every game in Vancouver while every game in Boston resembles a prison gangbang.

I hope the Bruins win both due to bias, and so I don't have to hear Roberto Luongo run his mouth.

I'm predicting they win, since they have overall been the better team and I think this dramatic home-away shit is a weird aberration. But perhaps that's merely my own sweater talking.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah.... I'm going fishing.

7. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We found Looney Toons on TV right after the loss... that actually helped a lot.

Still, fuck fuckity fuck. I wish there was something I could blame the loss on, but the Canucks were really just outplayed. Worst part is, I feel like they're so much better than what they showed tonight... Oh well, hats off to Boston. You guys earned it. Fuck.

8. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think tonight was largely the effect of playing a very hard, very physical series against a team that is bigger and tougher (but less skilled). Vancouver looked tired.

Also, Tim Thomas is a god.

9. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck Luongo. This motherfucker managed to choke in every single series throughout the playoffs! Chicago? They had in the bag before mr. Fucking king of the regular season can't handle the pressure during the best fucking chance your team has ever had to win a Stanley cup. That third goal was also bullshit but I guess it didn't matter. Either-way Tim Thomas had an amazing fucking playoff run I guess Massachusetts has to have another sport where their pro franchise is the best in. I'm going to go self medicate with alcohol now.

10. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congrats to the
    [​IMG]

11. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I guess in the states there was probably a Bruins Bandwagon. I joined it here in Canada, but I didn't turn into a douche like the Canadian Canucks Bandwagon. I had one asshole try to fight with me for 10 minutes that the Canucks have been throwing games all playoffs to make more money and more tension. "What, is it just some coincidence all their series go to seven games?"

I'm a Canadian. Boston had the most Canadian players. To all the asshats lighting cars on fire in Vancouver - suck it you pussies.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

What's actually wrong with being a bandwagon fan anyway? Do they take away from your fandom? I never got that one...

13. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If you are a bandwagon fan, you are an asshole. Plain and simple. Most people just want to claim that the team they cheered for won the cup. I could give less of a fuck about either team, I just wanted Boston to win so that everyone who bandwagoned Canucks could shut up, go home, and not worry about hockey for another 11 months.

14. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would say there's nothing wrong with it if you're honest about it. See, for example, NettData. Bandwagon fan, but not dumb about it and has a sense of humor about it. The problem is when you try to pretend you're a serious fan all of a sudden. You're basically laying claim to a history and psuedo-tribal identity that you have no claim to. It's wrong when you end up in conversations like,

"Oh, I love the Bruins, diehard fan. They're my favorite sports team ever, I'm so excited."
    "Name seven players on the team."
    "......."

Which would be the majority of the Boston area, for the record.

15. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's more just the loudmouth fans who decide to trash talk but couldnt even explain what icing is to you. The issue isn't when someone wants to be a bandwagon fan, its when a bandwagon fan wants to tell you they are a FAN. Always have been. Always will be.

I don't mind people who are a Red Sox fan but usually a Rangers fan who get behind a Boston team. I mind the asshole leafs fan who likely talks shit 24/7 about the leafs being the best goddamn thing since cheese in a can who suddenly starts talking about the canucks like they're gods but probably haven't watched a west coast game all season.

16. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I still think bandwagon fans are tools. That's different than between being a fairweather fan, which I think is fine as long as you're honest about it. The big difference between the two is that fairweather fans may only support their team when its winning, but they still have a single team they root for. Bandwagoners jump from team to team in order to feel good about themselves, which makes them tools.

17. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Aaand we're rioting. Are you happy now, Tim Thomas?

18. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, OK, I didn't realize that we were using the terms separately. Yes, using your distinction, what I described would be a "fairweather" fan.

19. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can't be serious. I kept trying to think of someone who is worthy of winning the Conn Smythe on either team and couldn't think of one player deserving. Boston fans and casual hockey fans will talk Tim Thomas up but anyone who knows anything about goaltending knows this guy is a fucking joke. Tim Thomas is arguably the least mechanically sound goaltender in the NHL and the luckiest son of a bitch I've ever seen. I thought Chara was going to win the Conn Smythe by default but wasn't shocked when Thomas won it instead. This guy routinely fails to make easy saves and looks like he has no idea what he's doing. He didn't dominate in the playoffs players have in years past and wasn't even close to Giguere's 2003 performance.

The best part of the game was when Gary Bettman was booed by Vancouver fans. I absolutely love anything that makes him look bad.

20. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Oh come the fuck on. Obviously "Tim Thomas is a god" is meant to me hyperbole. But you're being just as if not more extreme.

You're talking about someone who was on the Olympic team for the United States, will probably win his second Vezina Trophy this year, and has led the NHL in save percentage and GAA two of the past three years.

You're right. He's a joke, and riding the world's longest lucky streak. And not quite measuring up to a sublime performance by Giguerre (which was pre-rule changes, by the way) clearly means he ain't shit.