Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by rbz90, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It'll be interesting to see how Tampa, and Rolli specifically, bounces back from giving up a six-pack to Boston. I was figuring Tampa in 6 games, but Boston's offense was seriously firing on all cylinders the other night. They were the best 5 on 5 team in the regular season afterall.

Vancouver's the best team in the whole playoffs right now. Their biggest problem is letting teams in the game early on. If they can start the game with how they've played in the third period of recent games, the opposing team will be under their boot. I figured this series would also go to 6 games, but now I have serious doubts. I think San Jose will win one at home, but Vancouver's taking this in 5.

As for last night's game specifically... Well Eager was just a circus. Good for Marleau for sticking up for himself even though he lost that fight pretty badly. I wonder what the game would've been like had the ref's caught those 2 high sticking penalties by Vancouver in the 1st, giving the Sharks 8 more mins of PP time when they still had the wheels on and were actually clicking.

Almost forgot: Here's the deadspin article about the girl pressing her bare breasts against the penalty box glass at last night's game. (NSFW)

2. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Atlanta is moving to Winnipeg. Not official official yet, but just about.

Ilya Kovalchuk is probably doing backflips today.

3. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

A friend and I can't decide who would be a better match up should the Canucks win this series? If they face Boston they have a definite speed advantage, but they have to deal with Thomas. If they face Tampa they are the bigger team, but is their D speedy enough? Who should the Canucks be cheering for in the Boston Tampa series? What about San Jose?

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Holy fuck. Canucks actually score with 14 seconds left in the game to send it to overtime? No. Way.

I just might have to jump on the bandwagon after all.

5. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fucking Bruins. I was pulling for Tampa. I thought that would have been an easier win for the Canucks.

Either way... 4 more wins, Canucks. Just 4 more wins.

6. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Look tomorrow morning for an announcement, apparently.

7. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And it's official, the Thrashers are now in Winnipeg. There are 75 people really rejoicing.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And they're all in Atlanta.

9. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Got bored today and decided to take my own crack at making new divisions. I think the NHL could use a shakeup like this.

North-East:
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Boston
    Buffalo

Atlantic:
    New York (I)
    New York (R)
    New Jersey
    Philly
    Washington

South-East:
    Dallas
    St. Louis
    Nashville
    Tampa Bay
    Florida

Central:
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Pittsburgh
    Columbus
    Carolina

North-West:
    Vancouver
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Winnipeg
    Minnesota

South-West:
    San Jose
    Los Angeles
    Anaheim
    Phoenix
    Colorado

Then, if Phoenix shits the bed next year, have a second schedule pre-made. We move Dallas into the South-West, Carolina to the South-East, Buffalo to the Central, and then place what will presumably be Quebec City into the North-East.

Picture below. God having free time is awesome.

Attached Files:

10. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That map really needs time zones going through it though. That said I do like it but I wouldn't want to shirk the awesome Pittsburg / Philly rivalry

11. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My brain says Boston, but my heart, my wallet and my hockey pools say Vancouver!

12. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree. There is no way in hell the nhl is going to break up Pittsburgh and Philly. The same can be said for St. Louis and Chicago even though that rivalry has been in decline recently. I am all for moving Nashville to the South East Division where it belongs.

The NHL has said that they won't redo the divisions for next year so Winnipeg will have to play in the Southeast but they need to redo them now. Get back the rivalries that the jets once had and put nashville or columbus in the eastern conference and just shift the western around. Fuck.

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well shit.

That was some damn fine hockey to watch, though. Especially the second period.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fuck. Yes.

15. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

This is bullshit. I've been a Bruins fan for the better part of a week, and this is by the far the most devastating loss we've taken. Hats of to Luongo, but the Bru-Crew's gotta step it up a whammy. If we can't feed the rubber biscuit to the Net Monster, we're gonna be skating off without Big Stan's Chalice.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You just described the majority of Boston right now. My Facebook is unbearable.

"Oh my god, I LOVE the Bruins."
    "Name 3 players who are not Tim Thomas."
    "...."

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Also posted in the Random Links thread, but it's too awesome not to share.

The Canucks Fan Who Drove 1,000 Miles For A Game, Partied With The Owner, Drank With Beautiful Women, Nearly Died, And Got Comped For Game 5

[​IMG]

18. Beer Me

Beer Me
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm giddy with joy. If the Canucks win the cup (well we all know it's going to happen), several members of the team played with the Manitoba Moose, I saw several of them play for the Calder Cup a few years back, damn great game. But that and Winnipeg getting NHL back will make everything perfect!

19. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So after the Manitoba Moose season ticket holders were given the chance to buy pre-sale tickets, there were barely 3000 remaining season tickets for the rest of us Winnipeggers to try to grab in the regular sale. Almost every one of my friends tried getting tickets, and six or seven were able to, as by 12:02, every ticket was gone. Pretty disappointing, since there's only going to be around 500 tickets a game for walk-up, which will be extremely expensive, and everyone's locked into their season tickets for 3-5 years, so actually being able to watch an NHL game in the next couple years here might be tough. :(

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I heard that they sold out every ticket in under 2 minutes, and it took almost 15 minutes for their charge systems to catch up and process them all.

I'd say that there's pretty good interest in hockey in Winnipeg.

It also sounds like everyone wants them to be the Jets again... it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.