Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by rbz90, Apr 27, 2011.

1. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I looked and couldn't find a single thread about this. Anyway Vancouver with a big win today. That game had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was on the verge of tears when they blew a 3 game lead. Hopefully they handle Nashville better.

2. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yea, I think we just internally decided we could manage to stay in the regular season thread and not need a new thread for the playoffs. That's why discussion on the topic of the playoffs has been ongoing in the regular season thread since the playoffs began.

3. Polarfsu

Polarfsu
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think Vancouver will have much better success with Nashville, Chicago was just a nightmare match up for them. Although, that was by far the best series to watch so far, and might end up being the best series of games throughout the playoffs.

4. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Anyone have a really good stream that has the Bruins home announcers? I can't stand this Versus shit.

5. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Not too thrilled to play San Jose in the second round for the second year in a row, a year after beating Phoenix. But I'm feeling slightly better about our chances this year, especially if Hank comes back, and with Datsyuk playing like he is. I'm still, still however not quite sold on Jimmy Howard as a playoff goaltender. He had a great series against the Coyotes, but he's still so fucking shaky on long shots and can never seem to handle the rebound. I have no doubt he'll be a great goaltender some day, that he'll finish with a brilliant career, I just don't think he's there yet. I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong, in fact I hope I am.

Washington Capitals vs. Detroit Red Wings for Stanley Cup Final. This would be the coolest situation in the world, solely because I'm a wings fan living in DC.

6. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

At this point, Caps/Wings makes the most sense to me. But for formality's sake.

Wings have too much experience when they're healthy. If Z is back for most of the series, Wings take it in 6.

The Couv showed a lot of balls hanging on in that OT against the champs. Preds are tough, but not tough enough. Nuuucks.

Caps. It really is their conference to lose at this point.

Flyers in 7. Fuck them.

7. Mitch

Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

As a Bruins fan I fucking love it, but seriously, if Boucher was a dog, it'd be time to put him down. Jesus Christ, he's a mess.

8. Polarfsu

Polarfsu
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

And the Caps get swept, peace out Boudreau. After how they played against the Rangers I pretty much figured they were going to lose this series but I didn't think Tampa would look so good and be that dominating. If they keep it up they're going to be a scary team.

9. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow. A lot of love for Caps/Detroit, and it looks to be in vain. For the conference finals I had Bruins/Caps and Vancouver/San Jose. Didn't think the Capitals would get by Boston, but now they won't even have the chance. Fuck that would have been a good series.

For the finals, I have San Jose vs Boston with Boston taking it in 6. I'll be at game 4 tomorrow night of San Jose/Detroit to hopefully see that series finished off early.

10. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm surprised to see how one sided round two has been. After watching round one where, with the exception of a few, each series was tight. Round two has been very disappointing with the exception of Vancouver/Nashville. I'm hoping the Conference Finals will have at least one really tight series and no sweeps.

Like others have said, I didn't think the Caps would advance to the Stanley Cup Finals after struggling with a terrible Rangers team in the first round. They won the series 4-1 but it was really much closer than that. Ovechkin can't get anything done when it counts. I'm just chomping at the bit waiting for the news that Boudreau has been fired. It sucks for him because he took his team into the second round but I don't see any way that he keeps his job.

11. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you watched the SJ/Det series? It's hardly been one sided. At least not much more than the Caps/Rangers. Two overtime games, and all games settled by 1 goal. The series is much closer than the 3-0 looks.

But of course it could just be the homer in me.

12. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The worst part about this second round is that if they all finish in 4-5 games, we might be going 5 days with any hockey. Talk about a loss of momentum for both the teams and the fans' enthusiasm.

San Jose dictated a lot of play in the first two games with Detroit finally taking command for part of one in Game 3, so you could call it "one-sided" in that sense. I would favor San Jose to win the West right now due to momentum, but I actually think they would lose in a series against Vancouver.

The Capitals straight up bombed their series. Special teams were awful, particularly in the first two games. There was almost no fight from them in the final period of Game 3 and then when Tampa began taking over in the second half of Game 4 Washington started reverting to their old, poor tendencies (less individual play, lapses in defense, etc). I really hate seeing Ovechkin at the point on the powerplay too. Too many shots were getting blocked and he's a defensive liability back there. The one goal he generated from back there was a fluke that had to bounce off someone's helmet. Semin's play was pretty bad throughout the series, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he had some kind of injury. I'm sure there's a lot of public opinion in the District that BB needs to go, and Leonsis is not the kind of person to consider a second round sweep an acceptable end to the season. I actually wonder if its him though or the team's inability to be disciplined and make changes at a fast pace.

And no, I don't see either Detroit nor Philadelphia coming back from an 0-3 deficit. Particularly Philly. They looked pretty lost last night. I figured they would lose the series because that goaltending carousel is so awful right now it's gone from funny to just plain sad. If you add up all three goaltenders' salaries for this year you get just $3.325 million. Not to say you need a high paid goaltender to win a championship, but it illustrates that it is of the lowest priority for the Flyers. Indeed it HAS to be a low priority because they invested all their cap space for line depth, particularly on defense.

13. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the start of the Wings game and its getting a little scary how this series has paralleled last years. Game 3 a 4-3 ot loss and now game 4 has the makings of a blow out with the Wings being 2-0 up in quick time. Just hope that it doesn't finish the same way.

14. Macgruber

Macgruber
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Has every member of the Nashville Predators forgotten that if your only way of entering the opposing zone is to dump and chase, then you have to be the first team to the puck AT LEAST ONCE?!? I've been counting for the entire third period, and they legitimately have not been the first team on the puck a single time in Vancouver's end. If I was a Nashville fan I'd be having a shitty night.

Edit: And Sergei Kostitsyn is absolutely worthless. Does he even like playing hockey?

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I won't say I'm an avid Vancouver Canuck fan, but, FUCK YEAH!

16. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

If the Canucks don't do it this year it will be significantly harder with pretty much their entire def. core becoming free agents next season.

17. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well today is a shitty day for hockey:

ESPN hockey analyst Matthew Barnaby was arrested in a domestic dispute. (LINK) Apparently he currently dates Michelle Beadle, host of Sportsnation on ESPN but word is she wasn't involved. My guess is that he got drunk and into an argument with an ex-girlfriend or the mother of his kids.

Even worse though is that NY Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard was found dead (LINK). Dude was only 28 years old.

18. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need Vancouver to rock this series, and I need Samuelsson to get better, come back, and start playing like the badass he was in last year's playoffs.

I also need Boston to continue to shit the bed.

And then... I will be $200 richer because of two different playoff pools, and all the boys will hate me.

19. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ben Eager is a fucking moron and I'll be shocked if he even dresses in another game this season. What the fuck was he doing out there? Lapierre did an excellent job by not taking a dumb penalty due to Eager. I loved Patrick Marleau dropping the gloves but his teammates didn't do fuck all afterward.

20. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Samuelsson can eat my shorts. Eager can suck me off.

And why, oh, why has Tampa decided to be this year's Cinderella team?