Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NHL Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Vanilla, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Thought I'd put this up before the playoff thread becomes the place for all the draft talk. Not much to say right now, kinda busy. Curious to see what everyone thinks about Philly tho. I think Holmgren has lost his fucking mind.

2. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

We got a good young forward (Voracek, although he's going to be a RFA in a week), one of the better young prospects in the game in Schenn, and a guy who I'm not all that familiar with but who seems like a quality 3rd/4th-line grinder type (Simmonds) which was something this team needed at times last season, plus the 8th overall pick which should equate to another outstanding prospect....that said, I have a ton of questions about trading away both Carter and Richards with the team having just picked up (and signed) a quality goaltender and with Pronger probably only having about 2 good years left. Losing Carter sucks but was probably necessary in order to sign Bryzgalov, but Richards was out of nowhere...only thing I can think is that the rumors about him being a locker-room cancer maybe weren't as overblown as a lot of Flyers fans thought they were (maybe wishful thinking?).

My preference all along was to get Nabokov (and actually sign him this time), who would've been a much smaller cap hit and who should still have around 3 good years left (after which Bobrovsky should be more than ready to take over). Guess we'll see how it plays out now. FWIW, the Flyers now look a lot like they did around 3 years ago, when guys like Richards and Carter were young and unproven, with the addition of a quality goaltender.

3. Dubiosity

Dubiosity
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I think we all figured Carter was gone, but Richards too? That was a shocker to me. The Kings are hitting contender territory with that move.

As a Sabres fan, I'm thrilled that we fleeced the Flames for a proven D-man in Robyn Regehr. They gave up a replaceable blue liner and a prospect who was maybe our 5th best AHLer this year just to take some of the Flames contract woes off their hands. All so the Flames can get 5 more years of Alex Tanguay. Sorry Flames fans...maybe in a few years...

4. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And now they've signed Jagr. I'm surprised he said no to the Pittsburgh deal and then turned around and signed with Philly. Can't imagine that'll go over well in western PA. The Flyers had better hope he still has a year or two left in the tank though.

5. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Both the Wings and Pens put an offer on the table for him and said take it or leave it. He decided he wanted more and saw what other teams would pay.

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What are non Red Wings fans thoughts on Osgood? They've been discussing on the radio all day (all season) whether or not he is a hall of famer. Strictly looking at the numbers, I think they speak for themselves. However, I feel like his name is not one that you hear and think hall of famer. Or one that opposing teams would look at and think "Damn, we gotta go against Ozzie tonight" What do the outsiders think?

I feel like I've asked this before...

7. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Seems like the Devils are about to name Pete DeBoer head coach.

meh.

8. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would have been much happier with Hitchcock or MacTavish, but I don't know enough about him to have an opinion one way or the other. He can't be any worse than MacLean was though.

I'm interested to see which way Parise's arbitration goes. He made $5m last year but missed almost the entire season. It's binding, so he'll definitely be a Devil next year but I'm hoping it won't leave them totally fucked (or even more so) as far as the salary cap.

9. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He wasn't ever statistically anything special, he couldn't win without an immensely strong team in front of him, and the team has a better win percentage without him than with him?

10. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm scrapping everything I had written up because in doing research for this post, I came across this link, which did it all for me.

11. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That article makes a solid case, but his stint with the Islanders is hardly the best argument for his HoF status. On top of signing Osgood, the Isles picked up Chara that year, and added a bunch of offense (Spezza and Peca in his prime, among others). Hell, Osgood was hurt for half of the following season and they still made the playoffs, not to mention the next year without him at all.

I've always thought of Osgood as an above-average goaltender who made his reputation on Detroit's deep playoff runs. He won two Cups as a starter, and also played tremendously in '09 when they lost to Pittsburgh, but I don't think he did very much in between to make a case for the HoF. Not to mention, when he won the Cup in '98, he was playing behind most of the same team that won the year before with Vernon in net.

Not to take away from the career he's had, but if you asked me to pick a goalie(in his prime) from the past 15 years to start a game 7, I can easily think of five that I'd take over Osgood. Looking at the other goalies in the HoF right now, I don't think he deserves it at all.

12. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Chara went to Ottawa the year Osgood went to the Islanders. Also they didn't have Spezza. I'll assume you meant Yashin and Parrish (who they had the year before they got Osgood). I'm getting this info here by the way. I'm not claiming to know anything about the Islander's before, during or after Osgood's tenure there.

I quoted that line of the article because I don't believe "he couldn't win without an immensely strong team in front of him" is a good, or even valid argument against Osgood. There's no data to suggest that Osgood couldn't win outside of Detroit, because he hardly ever was. And when he was, he helped his team to the playoffs all three seasons.

This I disagree with. If not only because of the tables presented in that article. Plus there are 8 (I believe) people with more wins than him in the HOF. That leaves 25ish current HOFers who Osgood has more wins than. Throw in his playoff stats, and I think comparing him to the current HOF goalies, there's no way he doesn't deserve it. (Yes I know, there are obviously more/better stats than wins)

The most compelling argument against Osgood that neither of you presented is the simple fact that the Wings were perpetually looking for his replacement, regardless of his (in my opinion) HOF stats.

13. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's mental. They had two potential issues.

1) Too many overpaid defensemen.
    2) A few long contracts that may become an issue (in like eight fucking years!).

I don't see how the moves he made will help them. Frankly, I think the only reason he did it was because the city and the media were crying foul about goaltending, and this was his knee-jerk reaction/solution to it.

They're fucked. He's fucked.

14. hooker

hooker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

15. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

These tragedies are just awful. Concussions, substance abuse, general lifestyle? Who knows? The league has to do something though.

16. Dread

Dread
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Erotic asphyxiation.