Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Czechvodkabaron, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank fucking God the Bulls went into ATL and got it done. I don't think ATL ever lead the entire game. The answer? Sitting Boozer most of the game. Taj Gibson did great in his role and our bench played its ass off. Omer Asik got some serious minutes and contributed a lot. There was a point where the bench was just dominating in the 2nd quarter, and Rose was so excited he jumped off the bench asking for a timeout so he could get back into the game. The Hawks looked terribly demoralized because 90% of the shots inside the arc were seriously defended. Luol Deng was on Joe Johnson like white on rice, it was insane.

Pretty sure Andrew Bynum pointed to the Bulls and said "That's how we should be playing defense." Also, I can't believe Andrew Bynum reads a NYT Bestseller every week.

Speaking of the Lakers, I have little analysis of the game because I was halfway through the vodka bottle. But wow, Phil can't go out like this. The Lakers can't go out like this. If any team can go on a 4-0 run, its the Lakers (with the help of Stern's hatred for Cuban). Where is the Joey Crawford reffed game? Come on.

My Bulls vs Lakers (Phil Jackson) finals is looking like its not going to happen and that's going to depress me.

2. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Lakers are fucking DONE. In other news, the sky is blue, Jermaine O'Neal has some sort of injury, the world is round, and Shaq has big feet.

I honestly felt the Lakers were going to lose in the WC finals, but it seems more like an ego- and team- implosion, not a basketball related problem. I think they are tuning out Phil, bickering amongst themselves, and acting like a bunch of bitches. Add to it that Ron Artest straight up lost his fucking mind with that lame ass foul, and they are done.

As much as I hate to say it, the Celtics are done, too. If we're counting on Shaq (!) to play today as our big answer, we're fucking done. Danny did a great job getting the big guys together. Brilliant move in refusing to trade Rondo to get KG and Ray. However, he straight up lost his fucking mind trading Perkins. Perk was the perfect center for that team (next in line would have to be Tyson Chandler, who would fit in there basically the same way). Why they would trade Perkins to rely on the two O's is beyond my comprehension.

I'll watch the game today and enjoy the last few games of the Celtics season, but man, we're fucked.

3. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, what the fuck happened to the Lakers?

My Dad lives in LA and said there's some rumor going around that one player was banging another player's wife, and that Pau Gasol's GF dumped him, and that's what all the problems were about.

Odom and Bynum: Low class shit at the end there, guys.

Magic was just on the radio saying everyone is available for trade. Don't know how much say he has in that, but he said no one on that team is untouchable.

4. bukowskionice

bukowskionice
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'd love to see Gasol and Bynum or Odom packaged with a deal that puts Dwight Howard in purple and gold. Maybe trade some talent for picks and try to land a solid upcoming PG now that Fisher's bones are withering away.

Regardless, it's nice to see a Dallas team that's been so damn good while coming up short get a chance at redemption. Dirk and Jason Terry are the only '06ers left, if I remember correctly. Wouldn't mind seeing them get a ring (and the Cuban diatribes that would surely follow).

Peja was a hugely underrated grab for them. Having two bigs who shoot the long ball on the court with one of the league's best dishers of all time and some solid slashers could make for dangerous matchups for OCK/Memphis and whoever the hell comes out of the East (not even gonna try to guess that one).

5. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With regards to the last two posts...

I definitely think someone was fucking someone else's wife and Pau had to get dumped or something. With no injury, specific team fight, or death in the gamily that got out into the open, nothing else can explain what the fuck happened to him. They're not trading Gasol. The only people they should keep is Kobe, Gasol, Brown and hell, maybe even Artest. The deal for Howard is probably Odom*/Bynum, any maybe Barnes back. Melo gave Howard the blueprint on how to work that shit.

Holy shit, during halftime and post game...Magic Johnson hasn't teared up that much since he got his test results back.

And for Dallas, there really isn't any redemption on their part. Its just Joey Crawford not being there to them over. Something about his wife having breast cancer, he didn't ref one game in this Mav's series.

*Poor Odom is either going to have to buy out and go to the Clippers or Kings if he wants to stay next to his Khloe...

6. tgill

tgill
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What a shitty game for the Bulls. Atl played some inspired basketball.

Two things that stand out.

1. Inadvertant whistle?? Wow. Horrible call. I can't wait to hear the explanation on that.
    2. Even more importantly then the horrible non call, what the fuck was Tibs doing?? Terrible coaching game for him. What the fuck is Kyle Korver doing guarding Teague down the stretch. Korver is a statue who can't guard the majority of the two guards in the league. Yet he is covering a lightening quick point guard. Awful decision by Tibs.

I'm still confident the Bulls will win this series, but I really wish they would have taken command of the series tonight.

7. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree, but I think Korver is becoming less and less of a defensive liability in the system. The bigger problem was Korver missing shots, turnovers, and Rose not even thinking about passing those last 4-5 minutes. I did not once think before those last 5 minutes that we were going to lose the game, no one was really winning that game at any point. Disappointing loss in that regard.

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually don't have a problem with what Odom did; it was a hard, aggressive pick. No need for it with Dallas having such a big lead, and it's fine to toss him, but I don't feel it reflects poorly on him as a player.

What Bynum did was fucking inexcusable, though. He blatantly threw an elbow into a much smaller man in the air, in one of the most sensitive parts of the body, right underneath the body. If you hit someone hard and accurately enough there, you can potentially kill them.

It's par for the course in the modern NBA, but I wish some expendable Dallas reserve ran up and smashed his fist into Bynum's head, over and over again...

Also, I'm dying of laughter at all the goddamn delusional Lakers fans who feel they will get Howard for their garbage assets. I know it's an arrogant franchise which expects to win every year, and think teams will just give away their superstars to them for free, but come on.

No one is fucking trading Howard for Odom and Bynum. That's insane. Even Otis Smith isn't that dumb.

Gasol, being an older, worn-down player, might also not even be enough, and the Lakers need him anyways.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You beat me to it on that one. I realize the Lakers traded absolute shit (at the time) and got Pau Gasol. I realize they traded absolute shit (at the time) and got Shaq. I realize they traded Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant. Bynum and Odom + a player to be named later for Howard sounds like a great trade... if this were a fantasy league. Yeah, the stats might balance out on paper, but the Magic fans would burn down the building if that trade happened.

The Magic will obviously do whatever they can to keep Howard there, and if not, the entire league will line up to get him. There is not a team in the NBA that wouldn't be thrilled to have him on their roster, and if the Lakers think they can come up with a bunch of piece parts to get him, they are on fucking crack.

Don't forget that Howard only has one more year on his contract, so any potential trade can be derailed right there. Howard is only going where Howard wants to go.

I'm just glad the Celtics will have a lot of money to try to throw at him, but I don't see him coming to Boston.

10. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was an extremely suspicious trade, by the way, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chris Wallace was either paying back the Lakers for something, or hoping for a favor in the future.

In a league with fewer buried bodies than the NBA (David Stern's words, not mine), this would set off way more alarm bells as well as a possible investigation.

Shaq was fixated on the Lakers, though. As far as I know, that's not the case for Howard.

That was simply a brilliant move by Jerry West; trading a very good center at or near the prime of his career for the 13th overall pick sounds very risky on paper, but it turned out to be the steal of the decade.

Of course, Bryant wasn't a known commodity coming out from high school, unlike Howard today.

I have no idea where the guy's head is at, but I'm sure the Lakers probably aren't the only team in the entire NBA he would like to go to.

Especially since, you know, they currently have no head coach, their best player is past his prime and declining, and they're arguably not even a top 5 team anymore.

11. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh, and since I like to read into things a bit:

Why did Bynum take off his jersey on his way off the floor? Was that his way of saying he doesn't want to be there any more?

Yeah, and they also magically got Shaq a week or so later. I lived in LA at the time, and everyone knew Shaq was coming long before it was announced.

Jerry West was an awesome GM. He worked some really nice deals for the Lakers in his day.

12. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it was pretty symbolic and either he doesn't want to be there anymore or he doesn't think he will be there next year. I don't think that his jersey was so uncomfortable that he couldn't stand it being on one more second. If he was trying to look more badass, it didn't work. He looked stupid and unremorseful. I can't help but wonder what Kobe is thinking right now as he watches his dynasty crumble.

13. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If Kobe has half the cold-blooded killer in him I think he has, I would have loved to hear him in the locker room A) after the Artest clothesline, B) at half-time yesterday, and C) after the two stupid fouls yesterday. I could just see him screaming at those guys going, "What the FUCK is the matter with you fucking people??" I know he has to be disgusted with those guys.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, I think he's a fucking douchebag, too. Great shooter, but a douchebag nonetheless. In fact, I still think he's the #1 douchebag in the league, but LeBron is trying his damnedest to take the title from him.

When I say "Cold blooded killer" I mean it: Remorseless, win at any cost, I don't care who I have to fuck over to do it.

15. Gator

Gator
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I agree completely.

I didnt watch much of the game, turned it on right before all this went down, but they mentioned something about Dirk mouthing off to Odom and Odom just retaliated. Odom is not a physical guy, but anybody is more physical than Dirk.

The only thing cheaper than Bynum's takedown was the fact that not 1 Dallas player even moved towards Bynum. Ridiculous. This is why Dallas will NEVER win a championship. Heyward should have decked Bynum right in the side of the head, sat out his 1 game and moved on. They didn't even do the typical face to face NBA bullshit. The problem in the NBA is, these guys were 6'5 in the 4th grade, so most of them have never had anything close to a real fight in their lives. I backed up the DVR of the game a couple times, and still couldn't believe the benches didnt empty OR Kobe didn't get put in the stands sometime late in the 4th quarter. They walked Bynum right by the Dallas bench and not 1 guy even looked at him.

I felt bad for Jackson, but Phil should have emptied his bench and let the last 5 guys finish that game.

16. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, THAT is why Dallas won't win. Because they aren't rowdy enough in brawls.

Jason Kidd did, in fact, go towards Bynum but was held back by the Lakers. Also, Bynum immediately started walking away after the hit. By the time anyone on Dallas' squad knew what had happened, he was damn near out to halfcourt, with two Lakers in between him and Dallas.

I don't like the guy (the way he handles his off the court press stuff is insulting and disingenuous) but you're severely discounting the off the court aspect of coaching. He took what many would consider to be damn near uncoachable personalities (Shaq in his prime, 1989 Jordan, Kobe damn near any point in his career) and turned them into winners.

It ain't always easy to corral crazy.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Kidd and Dirk both went up to him, and he didn't even make eye contact, just kept on walking.

As far as I'm concerned, Bynum did that deliberately to be thrown out of the game. He hit him, and started walking. He didn't want to be on the court any more, and looked for the first opportunity to get out of there. 100% quit. Watch the replay:

I think the Mavericks actually have a great chance of winning a championship because they didn't retaliate: Why get yourself suspended for a game in the Western Conference Finals over a flagrant foul in an elimination game you are winning by 30? They used their heads and played smart. Starting a brawl would be a distraction they didn't need.

#117 $100T2, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Gatling

Gatling
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

POSTS ABOUT LAKER'S TRADES/STEALS.

The key deals were the handiwork of Jerry West. Widely acknowledged to be, in his day, the best assessor of basketball talent on the planet. He combined that talent with the enormous respect that he had throughout the league as a negotiating tool. Thus, he was able to spot and draft Kobe and wrangle the Shaq deal (which was on thin ice until the very end).

For those who dismiss the notion of Howard becoming a Lakers, I say this: Never underestimate the appeal of playing in Los Angeles (for the Lakers), the willingness of an Eastern Conference team to ship a superstar across the country, and/or the fact that Orlando might value Bynum and Odon differently than those on this Board. I am a clear-eyed Laker fan who has followed this team for years. I strongly expect the team is in for five years of mediocrity. However, I have seen too many trades bringing star players to this team to dismiss the notion of Howard as a Laker out of hand. (Howard has also shown he cannot win a championship on his own, so, after such a trade to the Lakers they would merely become challengers in the Western Conference to Oka City etc.)

BYNUM/ODOM FOULS

The Odom foul was uncalled for but not that big of a deal.

Bynum's foul was shameful. I'm 5' 7" myself. This fucking asshole is 7' tall and garners enormous advantages due to the peculiarities of basketball. So his reaction when a sub-six-foot guy is kicking his ass? Elbow him while his in the most vulnerable position on the court. What a fucking pussy.

Dallas' reaction was appropriate. Step off the bench and you are suspended. Period. If there is some revenge to be exacted, there will be another day, when playoff suspensions will not be in order.

PHIL JACKSON AS A COACH

All I know is this, it is an extremely difficult thing to win the NBA title, even with great talent. (We could devote pages to examples throughout the history of the league -- including the pre-Jackson Bulls and pre-Jackson Lakers.) Jackson has eleven titles. That speaks for itself. (BTW, Popovitch's record also speaks extremely well for itself).

LAKERS COLLAPSE

The team's collapse this year epitomizes a singular truth about sports: In this day of highly paid, constantly pampered athletes, it is a monumental task to keep a team motivated at a Championship level, for several years at a time. In his post-game conference yesterday, Jackson talked about the toll it takes physically, psychically, spiritually and emotionally. I watched most of the Lakers' games this season and they had the talent to challenge for the title (I don't think they had enough to win). But the team never had the energy, motivation or spirit it takes to slog your way to an NBA title.

19. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The others covered it, but both Dirk and Kidd moved towards him, and Dirk even pushed Bynum a bit before two Lakers players got in between them. The onus was really on one of the bench guys to run in there, but at the same time, credit Rick Carlisle for keeping his squad so tough and disciplined.

I don't think I've ever written something like this before, but after his blatant hits on Wallace and Barea, the former resulting in major injury, I hope someone slides a foot under Bynum when he's in the air on a play next season, forcing him to sit out again. If anyone asks them about it, they can give the same excuse Bynum did; he was "salty".

I'm not dismissing it at all; it's certainly possible. But so are about a dozen other scenarios at this point.

I'm just saying that the chances of Howard becoming a Laker are perhaps 10-20, not 100 percent, as some LA fans believe.

As for Phil Jackson, there is a good argument that Popovich has been a better coach over the last decade, and even some slim arguments that Popovich has been more impressive over an entire career. However, overall, if you don't think Phil Jackson is one of the 5-10 greatest coaches to grace this league, you don't know anything about basketball.

20. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No real signs of tentativeness or tenderness from Rondo thus far. Despite Chalmers getting a little chippy for my liking.

Shaq is apparently unable to even stand there immobile without managing to foul someone, surprising no one.