Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 NBA Playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Czechvodkabaron, Apr 14, 2011.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's simply wrong. In fact, the exact opposite is true. Look at how the best two point guards of the last four years, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, fared in getting their teams deep into the play-offs. Yeah. Not so great.

Finding a 6' 10" athletic freak that plays shooting guard and both forward positions is way harder and more valuable than just another great point guard in a league full of them. Ditto for LeBron. And Howard is a dominating center, the rarest commodity in the entire league.

2. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

It's so nice to know that the Blazers are sticking with their normal MO......of losing in the clutch. Way to be dependable.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really wanted Memphis to win. Too bad they didn't, the fact they took one on the road is huge. Manu is playing with one arm, Duncan on old knees, and Parker is trying to fuck someone's wife.

Very nice of the Lakers to show up to the Playoffs. Kobe Bryant is using a lot of veteran moves against CP3 (see cheap physical shots the refs don't see or don't call) and Andrew Bynum may kill Omeka Okafor before the game is over.

Also, Marv Alberts cheese might be slipping off his cracker. I'm sure he's annoyed by Reggie Miller but he's been talking about Matt Barnes like he's 60, and saying things like "It's like a torture chamber in there!" during wild rebound bounces. Crazy.

4. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Not sure if this is entirely true, so I went ahead and ranked the top ten players by position. Center is clearly the shallowest position:

PG:

Derrick Rose
    Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Russell Westbrook
    Steve Nash
    Rajon Rondo
    Tony Parker
    Stephen Curry
    Devin Harris
    Raymond Felton

SG:

Dwyane Wade
    Kobe Bryant
    Manu Ginobli
    Monta Ellis
    Joe Johnson
    Ray Allen
    Kevin Martin
    Jason Terry
    Jason Richardson
    Jamal Crawford

SF:

Lebron James
    Kevin Durant
    Carmelo Anthony
    Luol Deng
    Paul Pierce
    Danny Granger
    Gerald Wallace
    Richard Jefferson
    Wilson Chandler
    Tayshaun Prince

PF:

Dirk Nowitzki
    Amar'e Stoudemire
    Pau Gasol
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Chris Bosh
    David West
    Kevin Garnett
    Zach Randolph
    Josh Smith
    Kevin Love

C:

Dwight Howard
    Al Jefferson
    Brook Lopez
    Al Horford
    Andrea Bargniani
    Tim Duncan
    Tyson Chandler
    Roy Hibbert
    David Lee
    Marc Gasol

Center was expectedly shallow, but power forward is surprisingly deep.

5. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Jeff Foster just made a big mistake. A General Tojo bombing Pearl Harbor sort of mistake.

Although Boozer's elbow was pretty dirty too.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Correct on both accounts. Indiana can't buy a win. Fucking epic game.

"Is there a point where the hard fouls become too much?" - Reporter Lady.
    "It's only going to get worse. It is why I lift weights." - Derrick Rose.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

7. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if I'd totally agree with Deng over Pierce or West over Garnett, but it's still a pretty good list. And is Nowitski really doing that good this year? I've followed the Mavericks minimally. I know he was doing good, but I've ever heard his name in MVP talks. Que?

8. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's a little something I wrote to a friend on Nowitzki's MVP candidacy;

"One of the problems with the NBA MVP is that voters usually aren’t deciding upon the most valuable, but instead, the greatest player. The most spectacular. The one with the best statistics. The star who is the most dominant, unstoppable, or has the craziest athleticism. But when we talk about value to a single team, no one beats out Dirk Nowitzki. Just consider that the night where he came down with an injury against the Thunder, the Mavericks were 24-5 and arguably the best in the league, having already defeated the Heat and Thunder twice each, and holding victories against play-off contenders like the Magic, Trailblazers, Spurs, Celtics, Hornets, and Nuggets.

Once he went down, the Mavs immediately lost the next night to the lowly Raptors, snapping their five game winning strike, and starting a 2-6 stretch without the German. Watching those games, the same team that had calmly beaten the Heat in Miami was now anemic and helpless. When Nowitzki worked himself back into the line-up, the Mavs again became one of the best in the league.

So with him, they were arguably the best team in the league, and without him, they were one of its absolute worst. How many other MVP candidates make such a drastic difference to their club? Stoudemire? The Knicks are merely an above average squad with him, and with their run-and-gun style, it’s questionable whether he means more than 8 wins to them. Rose is superlative, but the Bulls would still be a decent play-off team without him. Only Dwight Howard has a real argument, and even there, the Magic aren’t as good as the Mavs with both Howard and Nowitzki on the respective squads, and aren’t as bad as the Mavs without their two stars.

Watching the games, Nowitzki is invaluable for the Mavs; he’s shooting a career-high 51.7%, an insane percentage for a slow perimeter gunner, bailing his squad out on offense time and again. He is a workhorse, doing whatever it takes for the squad to win, whether rebounding, passing, or even his most-maligned skill, defense.

Thus, based on the definition that MVP is the player most valuable to his team, I believe Nowitzki should win the award this season."

9. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

Tim Duncan has played mostly center this year, because the Spurs have started Blair/McDyess at the PF spot. That's how he's listed on espn.com. FWIW, nba.com has him as a power forward, but there's not any real difference in those roles, especially considering how McDyess plays and how small Blair is.

While Paul Pierce might be a better scorer and passer than Luol Deng, what you all might not have taken into account is fuck the Celtics.

(I'll concede that they should be flipped. I really like Luol Deng as a third option though).

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I was locked in a room with Stuart Scott and had a gun with only one bullet, I would shoot myself out of fear I'd miss him with it. Everything the man says is cringe-worthy.

11. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He's fighting cancer! How dare you!

What you should never do it check is Twitter, if you do, please, please keep all sharp objects away from your head or throat.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At what point are people going to realize D'Antoni's system sucks?

13. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Say what you will about the Knicks (my opinion: Anthony is poorly suited for D'Antoni's system), but if it weren't for Robert Horry's hip, the 2007 Suns might have an NBA title.

14. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm curious: why do you think this? I haven't quite decided what to think of Anthony. On one hand, he's very one-dimensional, but on the other hand, the one thing he does well (score), he does better than just about anyone in the NBA.

I'm not disputing that you think he's not a proper fit in D'Antoni's system. I'm just wondering what your rationale is.

15. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because Anthony loves halfcourt sets and isolation plays, which slow down the offense. Whereas D'Antoni likes a lot of ball movement and fast breaks, and dislikes the ball spending too long in any one player's hands. To play's D'Antoni's system, you have to be unselfish, whereas Anthony on offense is habitually selfish.

This is basically what Amare meant when he called Anthony out earlier this season on not "buying in" to the system.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice to see Indy hold on for one more game.

I will say this though: If the Bulls plan on giving teams leads like they've been doing with the Pacers, then they are 100% fucked against the Heat or the Celtics.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In honor of Zombie Jesus weekend, Brandon Roy has risen from the grave.

18. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Remember back in the day, when Brandon Roy was considered The Next Best Thing in the NBA, putting Portland on his shoulders straight out of U. of Washington?

Healthy knees are hella underrated.

19. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Why do the Spurs continue to let Randolph dictate what he's going to do on the block? He turns right shoulder every time. Bring that double and force him to turn opposite and use his right hand. They are smarter than this defensively...

20. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Disclaimer: Pardon me if I don't make sense, heavily medicated after wisdom tooth extraction.

I think it's a match-up thing only with the Bulls-Pacers. They're fast and kind of wild with their play. The other team the Bulls should legitimately be worried about is Atlanta in the East. I really don't see this being a blueprint or a weakness for the Bulls. Rose doesn't roll that ankle or just make 2 more shots, that game was another comeback win. Thibs defensive plan will help contain everyone else that's a concern. If the Bulls make it to the Finals I'm hoping OKC isn't waiting for them, anyone else is fair game.

I swear go god Thibs must be in the middle of a fucking bet with Keith Bogans, I get the defense, but fuck. He has to have some rare collector car on the line to keep playing this guy. And holy fuck even my friend who barely watches basketball knows Boozer has poor D. It's sad.

Damn good basketball day yesterday overall. Never thought I'd be rooting for the Memphis Grizzlies but I hate the fuck out of the Spurs. Wonder how Z Bo will play next year now that he's paid.