Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2011 Fantasy Baaaaaaassseeeebbbaalllll League

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sherwood, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes yes my friends, it's that time again. With Pitchers and Catchers Reporting it's time to fire up the ol' baseball league.

New rule this year after two straight years of dealing with scofflaws: You have to pay before you can play. I'll commission and hold the money again unless Kinsey wants to do it.

As usual: $100, H2H Categories League. 6 Playoff Teams if we get 12 guys, 4 playoff teams if we get 10. Going to be on ESPN probably.

If we don't have enough interest at $100 we can knock it down to $50, but I promise you all it's A LOT more fun at $100.

2. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

In for a hundred, you're welcome to deal w. collecting, I'll pass on that honor for good. Agreed w. paying in advance.

I'd like to propose an auction draft as opposed to snake, it's far enough in advance that everyone can do some mocks on ESPN to get up to speed. Much more fun to be able to go after guys you want, that way when Sherwood's team of mediocre Mets limps into the postseason he can't blame it on having a shitty drafting position.

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am in for $100. Have to try and improve on coming in 11th last year. Never have done an auction draft but would be down for giving it a try. Does a typical auction draft last longer or is it shorter than a snake draft?

4. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've been waiting for this thread. I'm in again for $100. I'm so-so on the auction draft, but am willing to go with whatever the group decides. Just want to make a decision one way or the other, so I have time to prepare for a possible auction draft (which I've never done before).

I'm assuming everyone's good with the standard payout structure from previous years (given a 12 team league)?

100 - Best Regular season record
    100 - 3rd place
    300 - 2nd place
    700 - 1st place

5. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am fine with that.

6. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm down for $100 again. In regards to the snake draft, I have no problem with that with the understanding that it is going to take a lot longer to draft and you won't be able to keep the team for next year considering we are strictly online and don't know who will still be here next year.

I also propose a much lower transaction limit than we've had in the past. The pool is always richly stocked, and it is way too easy to just cut somebody and get whoever is hot at the moment and ride him until he cools off and then repeat. A lower transaction limit would make it much more challenging knowing that you would have to be more careful on who you cut loose and when. There should be no limit on trades since you have to actually convince someone rather than just picking hot people out of the pool. My personal pick would be 40, from what I remember from the past couple of years there is only a few owners that go over that amount. This also helps counteract our playoff mentality of just quick pickups and drops rather than relying on skill and expertise. Anyways that is my proposal. Let's hear any counter proposals or other ideas.

Oh I also favor dropping batting average for On Base % which is a much more representative category IMHO.

7. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hey, fucker, I've never used draft position as an excuse for my teams filled with mediocre Mets players. As far as my habit of barely sneaking into the playoffs though, I expect to continue that this year.

And you know what? You're right. Let's fucking do this as an auction.

It has been decreed. Auction.

8. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

For what it's worth, last year five of twelve teams exceeded 40 transactions, some by more than double (43, 52, 62, 95, 98). Four of those teams were the top four teams in the league, so some of that is due to streaming pitchers in the playoffs. I employ that strategy somewhat out of necessity if the opponent is doing it, but I don't necessarily like it. I'm fine keeping everything as is, but another proposal would be to lock rosters once playoffs begin (injuries being the exception - if that's possible to do).

I would be opposed to a transaction limit, but it's not a sticking point with me. With that said, nobody's dropping Hanley because he's on a four game hit-less streak. Any add/drop is coming from fringe players anyways, so I don't see it as much of an issue.

As to BA vs OBP, I have zero preference.

Also, I'm pretty sure we all agreed to have three keepers from last year, so I'll take Votto, Tulo and Carlos Gonzalez.

9. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I don't have much of an opinion on transaction limit, the only reason I end up streaming SP at the end of the season is b/c I'm facing Sherwood and he's streaming them. I easily could've ridden Colby Lewis to the championship without the help of a bunch of scrubs.

Also zero preference on BA vs OBP, but I'm fairly certain that one of the major providers, and I can't remember which, doesn't include OBP in their draft screen, even if it's a league setting. Might be a bit of a pain.

I don't remember us deciding on keepers last season, but I admittedly didn't remember that I won the league either until reading through the thread.

10. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

We didn't. I was just kidding. (Unless you want to give me those guys)

11. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We said no keepers. There is too much variation players from year to year.

With an auction draft, isn't transaction limits moot? Don't we use FAAB and just bid on guys? Or is that only in weekly leagues?

12. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Nah, the auction is only for the draft portion, after that everything functions just like typical add/drop waivers, so you'll want to spend all $260 on the draft and not save any.

13. justinarelost

justinarelost
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'd like to be in again this year, I've just never done the auction draft before. I guess I would rather stick with the familiarity of the snake draft, but like most others, I'll go with the group on this one. Just let me know who/when to pay.

14. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soo, what are we at?

Me, Kinsey, Chairman, justinarelost, atcmh and Zyron

6 people already, we're halfway there.

Once I get the league set up i will solicit payments. Might do it this weekend, will let you guys know.

15. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Do we have a draft time scheduled yet? Or even a full league?

The draft app doesn't work at my firm, so if we could do the draft either late (east coast time) on a weeknight or on a Sunday night, it would be appreciated.

I'll have to work heavy hours this weekend and the weekend of the 12th & 13th; then I'll be out of town for St. Patty's day, although prob back that Sunday around 5-6.

Get on the ball, Sherwood.

16. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

And I'll be in NOLA the weekend of the weekend of the 26th.

17. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Way to make this easy, guys.

Draft is now set for Tuesday the 29th of March at 9pm Eastern, that should be late enough for anyone drafting from the West Coast.

I'll work on filling up the league, but for now, I'll PM everyone with payment details, once I get paid you'll get your league invite.

18. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm in for 100 if there are still spots.

19. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bumping this because we need ONE MORE PERSON for this league. Just one more. Come on guys, someone wants to play.

20. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Could someone (probably Sherwood or Kinsey) lay out the rules of an auction draft league since most of us have never done one? Specifically, is the $260 limit only for the draft or do we need to save some to buy free agents throughout the course of the season? Also, how does the draft work? It's my understanding that we rotate turns putting any player of our choosing up for auction. Is that true or does ESPN set the rotation? How does the time limit work (eg. If i make a bid on Pujols, how much time has to run off the clock before it's determined that I won the bid)?

I could probably think of a few more questions between now and the draft, but I think just a general overview would help everyone out.