Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. foredeck

foredeck
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

What's the definition of a pro or an amateur? The Canadian hockey team had an average salary of 5.3 million, and the US had an average of 3.5 million I think. This does not include any outside endorsement deals that the players have.

However, Lindsay Vonn and Michael Phelps both make around 10 million per year. Clara Hughes makes a few million as well. I know most olympians barely scrape by, but a lot of "amateurs" make a pretty good living. The only difference is that they don't get paid by a team.

I say the Olympics should be the best athletes in the world, who cares who pays their bills.

2. slippingaway

slippingaway
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

A little off track here, but bear with me. I love hockey, grew up in WI, played for fun and watched it all my life. I hope that actual game attendance spikes, I know I've gotten a bunch of people to be fans after twisting their arms to get them to a game. Live hockey is amazing.

Unfortunately, televised hockey, NHL especially, isn't so much. If people start tuning into NHL games expecting the kind of action and suspense that was in the Canada/USA games, they're going to be sorely disappointed. Maybe a few will stick around, but that spike isn't going to last long. This was a good start, but it's going to be quite a few more years before hockey popularity starts to get back to the levels it had before the NHL strike. NBC advertising that they'll have ONE NHL game a week? At least it's better than the zero on major networks the last couple years.

3. hkoea621

hkoea621
    Expand Collapse
    Lurker

Good News And Bad News (joke)

SGEDIT: Spam.