Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cool, not only is one of the gold medal winning US bobsled guys from my hometown, but my fiance just told me she went to high school with him.

She also informed me she had a crush on him because she said he's hot. This guy.

2. Benzilla

Benzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

FUCK YEAH, BOBSLEDDING!

Screw you Germany! Our neckless guys are better than your neckless guys!

Notably absent: Jamaica

3. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

With all that good BC bud you think they would have really tried extra hard to qualify.

On the other note i hope the US kicks the shit out of Canada in the gold medal hockey game. Yes Canadians i know you have a shitload of talent so no need to tell me how great your team is. But we got Ryan Miller and I think that will be enough to kick your ass at your own game in your home country. We hadn't beaten Canada in 60 years in the Olympics now we are gonna do it twice in a week. USA USA USA!!

4. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently, after the Canadian women's hockey team won gold someone brought beer and cigars out onto the ice (after everyone else had left). Unfortunately, photographers were still there.

Now the IOC is mad.

link

5. Sponge

Sponge
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The only thing this resulted in is a 'stern letter' from the IOC. Case closed. Around here the reaction is pretty much a universal "Good for them, they deserve it." Just another case of the certain members of the media trying to make a story out of nothing. My personal favorite so far is when they were interviewing people on the street for reactions to it and in one the reporter said something like "The Canadian Olympic Committee is saying they didn't supply the beer and champagne for the celebration" and the guy on the streets response was "But isn't that the REAL crime here?" Agreed.

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/201...oncern-about-womens-hockey-celebration-79573/
    Cover our asses with a "We do not condone this behavior" just in case someone is actually retarded enough to give a fuck? Check.

Personally I think it's hilarious that this is seems to be getting so much more coverage and IOC attention than the bobsledder that was arrested the same night for domestic abuse. http://www.theage.com.au/sport/wint...ted-over-domestic-incident-20100226-p74i.html

Apparently having a drink and a smoke to celebrate a hard fought win over your biggest rival is a big no-no, but she should've listened the first time...

6. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good game.

Is Luongo always that piss poor with his glove? Seemed like every time he'd just knock it down and cover it. That's all they were talking about on NBC, and it got annoying.

I saw this from a fellow UofM grad on my facebook after the game ended: " I guess that's what happens when your goalie is from Michigan State ... he chokes when it really matters." I thought it was kinda funny, even though he played amazing all tournament and we wouldn't have been there without him.

And, fuck Crosby. Hate him as a Penguin, hate him as a Canadian. The whole time I was saying just don't let Crosby score.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Congratulations to Canada - no longer simply America's Hat.

edit: That sounded bitter. The congratulations was sincere. Really.

8. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

It is clear from these games that the USA is the best in the world...

At coming in second.

SUCK IT BITCHES! GO CANADA GO!

9. Sponge

Sponge
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

That was the most intense game I think I've ever watched. What a battle between 2 great teams. Pretty sure I was legally dead for a good 5 seconds after that goal late in the 3rd. Added bonus text from my boss saying everyone has tomorrow off to recover.

10. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

And with that, you can't take anything away from the Americans, they played an incredible game. The rally at the end of the third was fucking amazing.

#110 Maltob14, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They weren't smoking, they were just eskimos drinking.

Ever get really drunk and decide to drive around in your truck with a high-powered rifle and shoot at shit? Maybe it's just a southern US thing, and maybe it's not necessarily a drinking thing, but for people up north, I'm sure rifles + skis probably just sounds like a fun afternoon.

12. Deepinit

Deepinit
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Just got back from Yonge and Eglington in midtown Toronto....WOW!

Attention World: Canada will not be coming in to work Monday morning.

EDIT: William Shatner doing a Molson-esque I Am Canadian monologue at the closing ceremonies. AWESOME!

13. Eastcoaster

Eastcoaster
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I know i'll probably open a can of worms with this question, but anyway.....

Professionals in the Olympics? Yes or no?

I'm on the yes side. I've heard all the arguments about the men's hockey teams making millions and being treated like gods, yada, yada, yada. But when I watch, I want to see the best athletes in the world in their respective sports. Are there professional biathletes? Professional lugers? Professional anything else other than hockey? Skaters, I suppose, but the amateurs are better than the pros anyway (so I'm told). I just think that the best of the best should be there. Not anyone's fault that people will pay big bucks to watch hockey and have never even heard of skeleton.

thoughts?

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It was great. I could not be happier with the outcome. A record 14 gold medals and the ultimate victory ending in ice hockey. Fucking brilliant by all, it will be hard to top this.

15. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Warning: rant

I have somewhat a different perspective, living in a city where our lone professional sports team prominently features several stars that have hurt our team with their international obligations. Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili: I am looking at you, and I am PISSED. Fucking douchebags.

Look, I understand national pride. I get it. If I was a professional athlete, one of the best in the world at my sport, I would prioritize playing for my country above all else and take steps with others accordingly. If the national team needed me on game day of the other league's championship, I'd be there. But I would make those priorities clear in the large financial contract I had with my true employer. Unless my country was paying my bills, I would make damn certain whomever was cutting my check was ok with my participation in the olympics. And if they weren't, well, we all make sacrifices. But Parker and Ginobili should not have demanded, or received, the salary that they did if the product (themselves) was going to wind up used and broken. Their employer made an investment in them, under the assumption that they would compete for Peter Holt to the best of their abilities. Playing for their national team does not equate competing for the Spurs to the best of their abilities.

I think the Olympics should feature the best athletes in the world. Canada's hockey team is the best in the world, and we can say that definitively. They won gold, over everyone else. US is second. I don't know or care who is third. Why would I want to watch something if I knew the best athletes weren't involved?

In short, I agree with professionals playing in the Olympics, but I think that such participation should mandate reasonable compensation for their employers. If an athlete is going to play professionally, i.e. for someone else or on someone else's tab, that athlete should receive either a shorter contract or a lesser contract to reflect the possibility of injury or Olympic "wear and tear."

16. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I guess i will give the Canadians there props on a well played game. It looked for minute that you would pull away when you were up 2 goals and looking for the 3rd but the Americans fought back strong. It was pretty obvious once we got to overtime that with 4 on 4 the extra open ice seemed to favor the Canadians and the Americans would have to get an odd man rush. Shit happens, i can handle the silver and hope that with a young team we can see you all in 4 years. Congrats.

17. snobes

snobes
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Miller was great again yesterday. I thought we were done late in the third. Great game and Tourney, the 2 teams that should have been there where there. See you in 4 years Canada.

Great to see Michael J. Fox at the Closing. Had less shakes then he did for his special that aired this summer.

18. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

YES. Hockey needs to be there. Our sport was irrelevant in the US 4 weeks ago, now people who watched that game might care. Zach Parise is going to become a superstar and i bet attendance is going to spike. Thank god.

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One final post: Looks like is was fun, sure wish I was there:

#119 Crown Royal, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Friend of mine's father was out in Southwester Ontario today, and ran across this.

They probably didn't get to see the games on TV, but they sure have the Olympic spirit.

Totally made my day.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      235.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      158.9 KB
      Views: