Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Arms Akimbo, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

There was nothing to argue. Canada outplayed the USA in every way, shape and form in that game and Ryan Miller was the difference, period. The guy stood on his fucking head for 60 minutes, probably the most admirable thing I've seen in these Olympics so far. Team USA had better send every hooker they booked that night to Miller's room.

It's such a two way street for me: I love watching my Sabres' goalie play like a fucking octopus, but I hate it more watching my country lose. Oh well, it ain't over yet. Not by a long shot.

2. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think San Jose's tap water has a high concentration of lead or something. Joe Thornton is the fucking tinman out there. Marleau and Boyle too.

Crosby is the best player in the world though, and I hope Crosby, Mike Richards vs. Ovechkin, Kovalchuck is going to be a doozy.

3. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I felt the same way watching Crosby play against the USA.

I agree there's little to argue about which team looked better. Miller was just flat out amazing and the obvious difference maker. Best of all is now the US gets a first round bye so he can rest.

It was entertaining to see a physical game too, especially in the third period. You'd never have anything like that in an all-star game, which this pretty much was save for the Europeans.

4. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'd also like to point out that Brodeur was fucking shit this game. I can't believe they didn't yank him after the 3rd goal it war ridiculous. He refused to stay in the fucking crease. Hopefully they put Luongo out there.

5. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of which, Alexander Ovechkin had a huge hit against Jaromir Jagr today.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...d-for-open-ice-Jagr-destructio?urn=nhl,221122

I love to hate Ovie, but it was a solid, clean hit. Granted you don't expect that stuff in international competition, but I applaud him for playing it as he would any other game.

6. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You don't expect stuff like that in international competition because, by IIHF rules, it's an illegal hit.

I think it was a good hit too, and by NHL standards it was. But if they had wanted to, the refs would have been completely in the right to call a 2 and 10 on Ovie for checking to the head.

[​IMG]

Notice Ovechkin's shoulder make contact with Jagr's head?

Now excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep after that loss to the Americans.

7. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to post a followup or debate of some kind, but then I found this.
    3 pages of hot female curlers. (NSFW-ish)

I think that's something much more enjoyable.

8. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

9. WendeI

WendeI
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

It's comments like these that make be hold out hope that the NHL may one day become somewhat prominent among a large segment of the viewing U.S. population. Don't get me wrong, this game was nuts, and the NHL is rarely this competitive and high energy (in the regular season anyway). However, games like this happen more often than you'd think, and playoff hockey isn't far off in terms of pace, and it happens on a consistent basis. Here's hoping these Olympics may spark an interest in a couple more of you Yankees and the game continues to grow.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I missed this game and after my Saturday Im sorry I did. Saturday I went to my first hockey game of my life. It was a Cincinnati Cyclones game, not an NHL game, but it was still probably one of the funnest events Ive been to in a while. I could never follow a hockey game on tv because of the endless camera movement but being able to see the whole rink made it easy to follow. Plus the game came down to a shoot off. All in all it is something I look forward to doing again.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Aerials are so fucking awesome to watch. Those guys truly are the craziest fucks in the Olympics. You could turn your spinal cord into dust in that event.

12. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I felt pretty much the exact opposite. It was definitely strange watching a game and hoping Marty plays like crap and gives up a bunch of goals (because let's face it, if he plays like he usually does/is capable of, there's no way the US wins that game). Fortunately things worked out, but hopefully he can shake off any aftereffects heading into the playoffs.

Also, not that I was watching or anything, but am I the only one that thought the American ice dancer that won silver looks frighteningly like one of the aliens from Avatar?

Edit:: Found a picture. Apparently it's not just me.
    [​IMG]

13. Axel NL

Axel NL
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't know if anyone here has followed the speedskating but damn this sucks. Sven Kramer, who has not lost a race in 3 years loses his olympic gold medal because of a lane change mistake caused by his coach. Mistakes are human of course, but this one was very costly.

14. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Good god that shot by Weber was a blast.

15. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fucking hell. This was one of the, if not the, worst mistakes I have ever seen in professional sports (knowing that many people won't consider skating around in circles a 'sport', but whatever). This would be like if Usain Bolt was miles ahead of everyone else in his big race, but his coach tackled him inches away from the finish line. I mean, Kramer's coach was actively pointing him into the wrong lane. What the hell is wrong with that man? I would've thrown a fucking skate at his head in his position.

And fuck that Korean asshole. He knows the rules as well as everyone else, but at least have some dignity and don't start celebrating halfway through Kramer's race. Even if Kramer raced backwards, he would've beaten that cunt.

16. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I caught the last part of the Czech/Latvia game last night. That was pretty intense

Latvia was down 2-0, and their goalie was making some pretty sweet saves. Then within a few minutes it was a tie game. 5 intense minutes later we were heading to overtime. Vokoun (Czech) almost let a bounce of the boards bounce off his pads into the goal, but got lucky and it went wide. Then Czech ended up winning a few minutes later in the ot.

17. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, I was expecting a Canadian win, but 7-2 at one point, now 7-3 at the second intermission. I don't think anyone was predicting this.

I can't even imagine how it must feel to be at GM, I mean, "Canada Hockey" Place tonight.

I missed the second one myself, but the announcers seem to think that Russia got away with some brutal changes, which they thought should have been two many men penalties, and I gotta agree with them on the first one. Anyone else notice that?

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

FUCK YES.

A dominate victory over the Russkies, and Gold and Silver in women's boblsed.

A good night to be a Hoser, I must say.

19. Creelmania

Creelmania
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Sorry for the double posts, I'd edit if I could, but this has to be the best day of the Olympics so far for Canada.

Gold and Silver in the 2-Man (woman? person? whatever) Bobsleigh
    Silver in the Women's Short Track Relay Speed Skating
    Bronze in the Women's 5000m Speed Skating
    And the 7-3 thrashing of Russia in Men's Hockey

I suddenly have a strong urge to play pond hockey while chugging maple syrup, beer and rye; and then go catch a beaver.

OH CANADA!!!

20. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO