Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Football September Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tom Ato, Aug 30, 2010.

1. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Not to jinx them, but who out there can stop the Oregon Ducks?

Rick Neuheisel ran his mouth a little bit before last night's game, and Oregon responded by pounding UCLA by a score of 60-13. The Ducks look to have everything they need to roll through the regular season and then win convincingly in the national championship game.

They play USC next week. Does anyone think the Trojans match up well? Since they're on probation, there will be no pressure.

2. gocougs750

gocougs750
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

USC is approaching this game like it is their bowl game. But I don't see how they can win. Their secondary has holes everywhere and oregon actually looks like they are still improving. If UW and Stanford can both score more than thirty points against USC, Oregon should be able to put up 45 points. I think Arizona has the best chance of beating UO this season. Their linebackers can just fly and are great in coverage. Probably the best match-up if Foles is healthy enough to play.

3. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

I was just going to post about this. Because I was stuck in a 3 hour meeting last night I didn't see much of the game outside what I could on the two 10 min breaks because it was on in the resturant/bar.

Yes they are kicking ass however, looking at who they've beat they haven't played any really tough team yet. We shall see once they are deeper into their schedule.

All of that said, quack quack motherfuckers and holy shit that one handed catch near the end of the first half that was reviewed was awesome!

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That offense looks pretty damn good, but I think there's team out there. Arizona St kept a close game with them and probably would have won if not for the 7 disatrous turnovers. Standford was also beating them for a good portion of that game, although they fell apart in the second half. The thing is, Oregon won't be tested in the regular season like the big 10 and sec teams so I think it's going to be hard to know how good they are until the title game comes (which they should be in). It's hard to imagine them not having championship game that turns into a shoot out. Should be fun to watch.

5. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Of the undefeated teams, which ones wouldn't get blown out by Oregon?

I don't think LSU could hang with the Ducks; that's for sure. What about Oklahoma? Auburn? TCU?

I'm confident Boise St. could, but the Broncos will probably be kept out of it by the computers.

6. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I think as long as USC's front 7 can slow down the run enough, then the secondary will be alright. If the safeties have to come up to stop the run though, they're going to get torched. On the other hand though, this game is coming off a bye week in which the defense is finally stepping up and getting confident after the drubbing of Cal. The offense is good enough to score every time they get the ball, it'll be up to the defense to win the game though.

I agree with you on Arizona too. Plus, they get Oregon as they come off a bye week as well, so that should factor into it.

That said, I'd love to watch Oregon rip apart one of those 'vaunted' SEC defenses. Just cause the teams in the SEC can't play offense (obviously Arkansas and Auburn are exempt from this point) doesn't mean the defenses are god's gift to football.

But since my team can't go to a bowl this year, my rooting interest is whatever will cause the most chaos and piss as many people off as possible for the final BCS outcome.

7. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Auburn and Oklahoma could probably control the clock enough to keep the score low. I haven't gotten to watch TCU much, but they're defense gets a lot of praise. I'd be amazed if LSU doesn't lose at least twice before the end of the year. I think that Alabama, Iowa, Wisconsin and Ohio State have the defenses beat them, too.

8. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't be so sure. They're ranked high and this could be their year if they go undefeated. Look at the teams who could contend. Michigan State had a HUGE win over Wisconsin, but they'll probably lose to Iowa. LSU won't make it through the SEC, we can forget about them. Auburn will have to play Alabama for the SEC title. Oklahoma is the biggest threat, but if they play Nebraska for the title game there's a great chance they get beat, or lose to Oklahoma St. I think we might actually see Boise St. get in this time. I don't think TCU will jump them, not after the impressive wins Boise St had had over the last few years. I really want to see the broncos in the title game because for fuck's sake, they've earned.

9. serenohills

serenohills
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'd love to see Boise St. vs. Oregon. That's the dream matchup I'm rooting for. But do you think an undefeated Boise St. will get the nod over, say, a one-loss Alabama?

10. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am still not certain Boise State can remain undefeated. They still have to play Hawaii, Reno and Fresno State. They are all pretty damn good teams.

Reno especially plays Boise tough every year and Boise has to play in Reno this year. I would love to see Reno beat Boise for purely selfish reasons. I got to see Colin Kaepernick play as a high schooler and my kids will be going to that same high school next year. Reno will have to play their best game to beat the Broncos.

Hawaii has to play Boise in Idaho this year and that will be a pretty tough place to play in the middle of November. Hawaii has had only one bad game this year against Colorado, They played the Trojans pretty tough and I think they have really started to believe they can win the WAC after beating Reno.

Fresno State played Boise pretty tough last year in Fresno. Their best hope of beating the Broncos is if Boise has a let down after the Reno game. Hey it could happen.

If the Broncos do go undefeated, I do think they would deserve a chance to compete for the National Championship. If it is against the Ducks then TV could play up the whipping that Boise lay on the Ducks in last years opening game.

But it will not happen. The powers that be will make sure it is yet another boring SEC vs Big 12 or Big 10 matchup.

11. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think they will because of where they are in the rankings and the respect they're starting to get. Might be hopeful thinking though.

This Michigan St/Northwestern game is awesome. I can't believe Northwestern fell for that fake punt. Texas needs McCoy back. Barring a huge comeback this will be the 4th straight game they've scored 20 points or less. I mean, they're getting blown out by Iowa St. It's not good kids.

12. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This game is pretty intense. I don't see Michigan St. marching down the field...but shit, anything can happen.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nice run by Baker, but GO DOWN. It's a long shot, but now Northwestern can still tie this game.

14. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Effing Spartans...so annoying

LSU vs. Auburn on TV now. SEC! SEC! SEC!

15. billyhasADD

billyhasADD
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Absolutely not. In the end, its strength of schedule that would put a one-loss Alabama, LSU or even Auburn into the BCS Championship game. Oregon looks great, but going undefeated in the Pac-10 isn't comparable to only having one loss in the SEC. As for Boise St, the ACC is a stronger conference top to bottom than the WAC conference. That said, the entire SEC West is ranked with the exception of Mississippi. There is no way you can honestly believe Boise St. could defeat even Mississippi State after warming up against Louisiana Tech, Nevada, or San Jose State. This year is going to end with everyone in the Big 12 and Big 10 whining about how the BCS system is unfair and I'm completely fine with that.

16. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I bolded the parts where you sound like a rambling idiot. Seriously, are you fucking retarded? After what Boise St has done in recent years you think it's inconceivable that they could beat Mississippi St? Mississippi fucking St??? Why, because they beat a horribly overrated Florida team last week? So most of the west is ranked. So fucking what? Arkansas and Mississippi St being 23rd and 24th isn't that impressive. Maybe if your conference actually had some balls they would play Boise St in the regular season. It must be hard to realize the SEC isn't as dominant as they once were. They're starting to slide, and both the big ten and big 12 can claim to be better conferences at this point, even it is still very debatable. And guess what? There's a chance a one loss SEC team will get in over Boise St, but there is no chance they will get in over an undefeated big ten or big 12 team.

I usually don't flip like this, but if you want to come on here and talk about how awesome your conference is at least try to make some sense.

17. billyhasADD

billyhasADD
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

The guy asked a question and I answered it. I will not be dragged into an uneducated argument about what conference is better, because it is pointless. I'm not here to jerk off the SEC, but Boise St. plays in what amounts to the community college of NCAA football conferences and can't be taken seriously as a contender. As for the SEC getting in over a no-loss Big 10 or Big 12 team, I'll reference the 2008 BCS championship where LSU stomped Ohio State as a 2 loss team. Why did they play? Strength of schedule. I'll give you Miss State might not have been the best example, but they are the first shitty SEC team that came to mind. However, I'll still stand by my point that they would roll over Boise State. Let the whining commence.

18. billyhasADD

billyhasADD
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

In anticipation of whats sure to be a well measured, mature and reasonable response, I'm going to ask you just PM it to me if you want to keep arguing. This isn't feelings time, if you want to cry to me online, do it in a non public manner.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love how you talk like I'm making uneducated arguments while at the same time admitting you give terrible examples and then go straight back to defending it. Bravo.

How does this prove they will get in over an undefeated big 10 or big 12 team? Especially when it has NEVER happened in the history of the BCS. I'm not sure you remember what happened that year. There was only one undefeated team, Hawaii. Everyone knew they weren't for real, and they're from the WAC, not the big 10. Besides, Ohio St had a loss and got in the year as well. I also remember a one loss Alabama losing to Utah. I suppose that was just bad luck right?

If you don't want me insulting your lack of intelligence, don't post in this thread. Don't make an ass of yourself and then whine like it's off topic. We're disussing NCAA football. That is this thread.

20. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mouse Trap FTMFW!! Dantonio is pulling out all the stops this year...first with the Little Giants, now the Mouse Trap. People really need to stop falling for these plays (not really, keep them coming). Such an intense and awesome game. NU has a pretty damn good team, especially that QB, what a beast.

And I called the win in the last couple minutes, next week will be the same kind of thing especially since Iowa lost, they'll want to make up for it.

8-0 BITCHES!!!