Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Football Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tom Ato, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Huh. Was Pete Carroll smart or a pussy?

2. Shock

Shock
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

They are not mutually exclusive, though I would be more inclined to call him an asshole than a pussy. It was definitely the right time to get the fuck out of Dodge though. SUC got hammered, but don't think your schools aren't above pulling the same sort of shit.

The biggest news in all of this is the Pac 10 turning into a Borg cube and assimilating the Big 12 South, sans the Bible thumpers. Something like 11 of the 25 largest markets will potentially fall under their sphere of influence and, presumably, be seeing their new Fox/Pac 16 sports channel on basic cable.

C.R.E.A.M.

3. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Oklahoma going to the SEC?

Oh god, if this happens not even the most mouth-breathing, tinfoil hat-rocking Ohio State fan will be able to acknowledge anything other than the SEC having the greatest collection of football talent on earth. Except for the NFL, I mean.

Lord....

I mean, take 3 non-SEC teams and take 3 SEC teams...the winner in a best-of-three tourney would be the SEC, almost everytime.

have mercy.

4. goodfornothing

goodfornothing
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551</a>

Looks like it is official, Nebraska is in the Big 10, and I love it.

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

No other reason for him to continually pass up NFL jobs season after season until the Seahawks came along with an "can't -miss" offer.

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

7. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How pissed does the Pac-10 have to be if they end up only getting Colorado out of all of this?

8. Marburg

Marburg
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

WOOOOOO!!!! Big-12* still lives! As much fun as it would have been for the Longhorns to dominate the Pac-16 I prefer staying with OU and A&M in the Big-12*.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm still kind of amazed that there's an entire athletic conference set up for the sole purpose of sucking Texas' dick.

10. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The following 3 programs are teetering towards a pit of deep shit :

North Carolina (bentleys, cash, boosters, etc. looks serious)

Florida (one OL was caught apparently taking money before the Sugar Bowl?)

South Carolina (player being investigated)

Not good.

On another note, this video recaps the aughts (2000's) of College Football, summing up all the greatest moments of the past decade. I normally wouldn't bring it up here, but it is very, very, very well done. Watch it. You'll see exactly what I mean.

#50 Tom Ato, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In my continuing quest to breathe life into this thread, here's a lengthy profile of Jeremiah Masoli and the trouble he got into...apparently, he got screwed over in many ways.

30 days till kickoff!

12. hawkeyenick

hawkeyenick
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Coaches' poll was released this morning: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5442120

Alabama received a vast majority of the #1 votes, with Ohio State receiving the few Bama didn't. My beloved Hawkeyes are #10, and I'm happy with that. They finished last season at #7, so there wasn't much fall-off, and they aren't ranked too high for them to be over-confident.

Boise State is at #5. If they make it through the season undefeated, they can definitely make it to the Championship game this season.

Most overrated in my opinion: Florida at #3. They have a ton of talent, but their starting QB has no experience, and they've lost a lot of players to the NFL. They may end the season there, but they should be starting the season in the #10-15 range, at least until they play a game and show the transition from Tebow can be a smooth one.

Other overrated teams: Texas at #4, yeah, the QB stepped up in the Championship game, but they lost their best receiver and 2 great defenders, and had no running game. They should be starting in the same range as Florida.

Oregon at #11, they lost their starting QB, and their passing game wasn't the best last year anyhow. Unless the backup has great legs and can hit the ground running, they could be in trouble in the early going.

13. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Big Ten should be very fun to watch this year. Ohio State and Miami FL, Sept. 12th...I'm fucking pumped.

14. zwtipp05

zwtipp05
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Their defense was pretty damn good and returning most of its starters and LaMichael James was one of the nations leading rushers. I think just outside the top 10 is right for them.

That said, the PAC-10 is wide open. Pretty much only USC and Washington State can't win it, everyone else has a shot. At least my Trojans can do their best to play spoiler the next year or two.

15. bmc415

bmc415
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Just got everything confirmed to head down to Atlanta for the Chick-Fil-A kickoff game between LSU and my Heels. It won't be a shootout by any means, since both teams have excellent defenses and anemic offenses, but it's going to be wild at the Georgia Dome nonetheless. If the rumors are to be believed, we may only be missing one player, two at worst. It would suck to lose Austin, but if Carolina can afford to lose anyone it's along the defensive line. This is the first time since the 2001 season that we've been able to be legitimately excited about the team's chances, if we can make it through our division relatively unscathed we could be looking at an Orange Bowl kind of season.

16. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Although I think Penn State will be getting murdered in week 2 against Bama.

17. Gainesvegas

Gainesvegas
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Since when are preseason rankings indicative of what a team has already done? When you're a USC, Florida, Texas, etc you're always on top because you retool/reload, not rebuild. No matter what position, you hit the ground running. I think every poll position is perfectly justified.

With that being said, anyone going to be in Gainesville this fall to get whooped up on? BlueDog, looking at you...

18. Idaho_Vandal

Idaho_Vandal
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Nobody hates "Bozo State" more than I but I do think they will go undefeated. They lost 2 starters from last year and the Boise staff will have their players show up for every game.

That being said there is no way that they make the championship game. The BCS is set up to keep small market teams like that out. They end the season ranked 3rd and snubbed.

19. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

You realize that they're already ranked very highly to start the season? It's unlikely that they'll make a wire to wire run and not be in one of the top 2 spots by season's end.

20. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well it looks like goodbye WAC. The Mountain West Conference is looking an awful lot like the WAC did about 10 years ago before it split up.

It certainly is going to be good for Fresno State and Nevada Reno to move to the Mountain West and good for the Mountain West as both those teams play tough out of conference schedules.

I really feel bad for Hawaii as they really could have the chance to build a great program there if they could just get in with a good conference. The travel is such a bitch for them though.

I am going to order Fresno, Hawaii tickets this afternoon. I have to make sure the twins get to see Hawaii at least once before there is no more chances. The war dance the players put on before the game starts is just fun to watch.