Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Basketball Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JR17, Mar 14, 2010.

1. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Figured I would get this thread going since the brackets come out in 2 hours.

My #1 seeds are. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Syracuse.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

<a class="postlink" href="http://d.yimg.com/j/r/ncaab/tourneybracket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://d.yimg.com/j/r/ncaab/tourneybracket</a>

Yahoo printable bracket. Let the gambling begin!

3. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Just filled out my first bracket. Georgetown, Syracuse, New Mexico and Duke Final Four, with Duke beating Syracuse in the finals. Not quite sure how comfortable I feel in most of my picks, it's just basically my rough draft. However, I have to admit to one caveat: I pick Duke to win it all, every year. I admit, yes ... I am a Duke lover, and proudly so. (let the hating commence)

At first glance, it seems to me that UTEP and BYU have a chance to make a run to the Sweet 16 (and BYU to the Elite 8). Every year, there's that killer 12/5 upset and the Butler/UTEP game seems like it could the Miners way, along with Cornell/Temple.

4. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not a hokies fan, but if I was I would be beyond pissed. There is absolutely zero valid arguments for them getting snubbed like that. The strength of schedule claim is a joke when you have teams from the same conference, with worse conference records, that lost to Virginia Tech in the regular season, and still getting in ahead of them. There's no getting around that. It's pure bullshit. I don't care if they played a weak out of conference schedule. When you put the above point forward it's irrelevant.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They had 1 win over a tourney team in the regular season, Wake...1! Sure they beat GT in the conference tourney but then proceeded to lose to a team in Miami(FL) that had won 4 games in conference. They also got smoked by 20 by BC, who is just not good. When that happens late in the season, they aren't doing themselves any favors. Wake, who forseeably could have switched spots with them, had wins over Richmond, Maryland, Xavier, Gonzaga, Clemson, and GT...all tourney teams. When you compare that to VT whose other best win is over Seton Hall, who was without their leading scorer, they just got punished for having a horrific non conference and an unimpressive ACC season in a weak ACC. Wake only finished a game back, its not like theyGT got in cause they had marquee wins as well over Duke, Clemson, etc... If VT had made the ACC final instead of GT, they would have been in. I see your point, but the committee looks at teams individually, not in the specifics of them versus other conference teams.

I think Siena over Purdue is going to be the upset pick d'jour.

6. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This might be a homer pick, because Siena is 20 minutes away from me, but I 100% agree. To be honest they are talented enough to be an 11, but I'm glad they are a 13, because Purdue is an ideal matchup, especially minus their best player. Siena is more than capable of going to the 2nd round for the 2nd straight year. Pretty impressive for a school from upstate NY with an enrollment of 3k.

7. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just love the fact that some asshole decided to put us, that being Michigan State, in the Midwest regional with Kansas, Ohio State, Georgetown and Maryland. And here's what really pisses me off - Duke has probably the easiest road to the final four. Who's going to stop them? Purdue? Purdue is not beating Duke. Fuckin' a, would it have killed someone if the selection committee put us in the south? Fuck Duke, nothing would make me happier this month than to see some scrub team knock them off.

And Wisky a 4 seed? MSU wins the BTT, splits the series with them, we both lose in the quarterfinals of the BTT and they're ranked higher than us? WTF?

Alright, that's my one and only rant of the tournament. Everyone gets one.

Upset alert, I don't have much: Minn knocks off Xavier, MArquette over New Mexico. Final Four picks are of course Michigan State, Duke, Kansas State and Kentucky (I bet Kentucky wins it).

8. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cause they beat Duke Maryland and Marquette, and MSU's only decent OOC win was against Gonzaga. That being said, I hate UW with all my heart and their arrogant fucking fanbase is already talking about how great they match up with Kentucky cause Saint Bo Ryan will frustrate Wall and Cousins and blah blah Bo Ryan is the greatest coach ever he owns Izzo we care more about Big Ten titles than postseason success blah blah. Fuck Wisconsin, I hope Temple smokes them.

As a Marquette fan, I am very excited about their draw. I was hoping for a 7, expecting an 8, LOVE a 6 and provided they beat Washington (no easy task as they are playing well), they match up GREAT with New Mexico.

9. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everyone's saying the same thing. The Midwest region is stacked, and Duke - a team that is really not good enough to be a #1* - has a pretty easy path to go deep. I don't understand how Georgetown, the school with the hardest schedule in the country and 6 wins against top 25 opponents (more than any other team in the country)**, gets stuck in such a bruising bracket, and Duke, who we crushed and who barely held on against Georgia Tech, gets a walk. Not to say they won't blow it, but Mike Krzyzewski*** owes somebody a steak and a BJ.

I think this is a pretty good look at the bracket.

*Winston Churchill's quote about democracy comes to mind. Duke is the worst team to be the fourth #1 - except for all the other teams.
    **Last I checked, anyway.
    ***Had to look it up. Fuck that guy's name.

10. Gramercy

Gramercy
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Since I've been unemployed the past two months I've watched more college basketball than most people. The bracket really confuses me overall. I'm so sick of the Duke bias, since all the old white guys on the committee love Duke for it's whiteness and ALWAYS gives them the easiest bracket, and the one closest to home. Fuck Duke. I'm surprised Maryland (my alma mater) got a 4 seed since they were ranked 23rd, and lost the first game in their tournament. I'm surprised Cornell didn't get better than a 12 seed since they were nationally ranked two weeks ago. I wouldn't have been surprised if WVU got a 1 seed over Syracuse.

I have no idea who's going to win this tournament. I think Siena will upset Purdue, I think Kentucky can't win because their free throw shooting isn't that good, Duke can't win because they can't hit a good percentage of 3 pointers for 6 games in a row, Nova slid at the end of the year, Ohio State commits way too many turnovers. I guess Kansas? But fuck Kansas, I hate Cole Aldrich.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't believe what a awesome seeding Villanova got. Robert Morris than St. Mary's?? What luck!!! Especially considering Nova was awful at the end of the season and lost to Marquette in the Big East tournament. That seeding was given because of how good the big east was, period. I was hoping/expecting a four seed I did not see a two seed coming at all. I also agree that Duke has no reason not to be a final four team. Texas A&M, Purdue and Notre Dame all have upset potential (Notre Dame beat Georgetown this year) but I don't see it happening.

12. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Does anyone want to join a pool? I figured I would start one. CbsSports.com, pm me or rep me your email address if you want to join and I'll send you an invite.

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but they actually beat three tournament teams (when they beat GT is irrelevant, it's still a win against a tournament team.) The fact that all three teams they beat had worse conference records shows to me that they performed better. I just don't see how you can put all three in ahead of VT. Yeah, they faltered late, which should hurt their chances, but every game should still count the same. Or at least there shouldn't be that big of a disparity in their worth.

Anyway, I'm really hoping for some big upsets this year. Like others, I'd love to see Duke get knocked out early. Other than Michigan St making the finals last year saw most of the favorites winning, and Michigan St still was a #2 seed. Can't wait for Thursday.

14. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I didn't pay attention to basketball so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about or be an expert or anything. All I knew is I heard about how awesome Kentucky was pretty much all year, and I've always hated Duke.

Why is it that it's usually girls who do really well in bracket pools? I don't get it.

15. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We pick whoever has the cutest players and outfits. So far it is a no lose strategy.

I am kind of torn this year in my bracket selection. Living in KU world for many years now, I have done well in these polls by never giving them much credit. I have resisted and never jumped on the bandwagon. Until this year. On the one hand, they are looking good, their bench is just so deep. on the other, they got screwed in with their tourny matchups. I just don't know who I would pick to better them. But I'll be submitting SOMETHING either way

16. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Oh come on, everyone knows this. Chicks come in, pick teams with the cutest point guards or the best mascots, throw some scrambled bracket together, meanwhile their male counterparts that they're trying to impress are furiously weighing every pro and con of each team, their strengths and weaknesses, their strength of schedule, positives, negatives, upsets, cinderellas, etc etc and the girls always prevail with their simplistic picks. It's called the triumph of the uncluttered mind. And no, I have never lost to a girl, I'm not bitter about anything, nope, nothing.

The thing is, I haven't won a bracket since 2000 because I refuse to put any team other than Michigan State as winning it all. Last year I did pretty good (I even had UNC in the final), but I have them going all the way against Kentucky, again, so hopefully I will be either 50 percent right or 100 percent right. I really don't think Kentucky is going to lose it.

----One more thing... good god I love tournament time. Jesus Christ almighty, I am excited.

17. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I guess you either love or hate Duke. I have been a duke fan for a long time and nothing could change that. With that bias i will say my final four is Kansas, Marquette,Duke, and Kansas State with Duke beating Kansas in the Championship game. Duke will have to make a good percentages of threes to win it all but they have better size and are a lot better defensively than past Duke teams.

18. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just got a reminder from the rmmb pool, cbssports.com. Did someone here set that up? If so, I'm in.

19. jennitalia

jennitalia
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've got it narrowed down to Michigan State, Syracuse, Kentucky and Duke for the Final Four and then Michigan State to beat Duke in the final.

20. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was going to see if people wanted to do a TiB pool. I'd be in as well.