Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NCAA Basketball Offseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tom Ato, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Goodbye, John Wall.

Goodbye, DeMarcus Cousins.

Later, Daniel Orton.

Seeya, Eric Blesdoe.

Good fucking luck, Calipari.

But in all reality, he'll pull in more super recruits...

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm gonna keep up my rave about Michigan State. We only lost an inconsistent Raymar Morgan and a bench rider Isaiah Dahlman. I'm expecting us to be a powerhouse next year just as long as all our injuries get treated.
    Plus we have a pretty monster recruit class with these two leading the way: 5 star Adreian Payne, a beastly Center; and 4 star Kieth Appling, a kick ass shooter all around.

But damn, we're still a small ass team, our tallest guys are Sherman and Payne, both at 6'10"!! We'll see what next season has in store.

3. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

In the "it's never too early" fashion, Andy Katz went ahead and ranked the next season's top 20. I for one am more than willing to let Purdue take that number one spot. I think in every ranking that comes out until next year we'll see some variation of Duke, Butler, MSU, Villanova, and Purdue in the top five.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=5060752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/s ... id=5060752</a>

Nonetheless, Butler is so happy to have a winner they went ahead and signed Brad Stevens to a 12 year deal (<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/10446/butler-rewards-brad-stevens-with-12-year-deal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -year-deal</a>). Let's hope the Charlie Weiss curse takes effect and they don't actually win anything now that he's staying through the next dozen years.

4. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Katz has Illinois as 24.

Lunardi has them as a 14th seed: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/bracket?id=5071629

Sweet.

5. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Kyle Singler returning to Duke for his senior season

While the losses of Scheyer and Zoubek/Thomas are tremendous and cannot be understated, Singler coming back is huge and should poise the Blue Devils to be the preseason #1 and an early favorite to make a run at a repeat. They have a stellar recruiting class coming in, headlined by PG Kyrie Irving (a Jason Williams clone). Also, Seth Curry will be eligible after averaging 20 a game at Liberty before transferring to Durham. The continued development of the Plumlees and Andre Dawkins will be huge, but with Singler and Nolan Smith leading the way, along with the aforementioned players, the future looks bright for the defending National Champions in '11.

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thank God that the NCAA came to their senses. Going to 68 teams with 4 play in games instead of 96 teams. Also, they didn't sell the rights to ESPN. I think I am happiest about this. Because now I will NEVER have to listen to Dick Vitale do the the Final Four.

7. ecstar361

ecstar361
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

MyECStar.com - Wholesale Name Brand Apparel and Clothing

SGEDIT: Spam.

8. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Good Bye John Wooden. No one will ever win 7 in a row again. Fuck it is hard just to repeat. RIP

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5253601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/n ... id=5253601</a>

9. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

He has to go down as one of the greatest motivational speakers as well. You couldn't listen to the man talk and not just have positive emotions running through you. Words can't describe how much he'll be missed.

I know somewhere, Coach Wooden is holding his program ready to inspire someone....

10. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

QUOTES:
    A coach is someone who can give correction without causing resentment.
    John Wooden

Ability is a poor man's wealth.
    John Wooden

Adversity is the state in which man mostly easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then.
    John Wooden

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    John Wooden

Be prepared and be honest.
    John Wooden

Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your own rights.
    John Wooden

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
    John Wooden

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
    John Wooden

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.
    John Wooden

Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
    John Wooden

I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent.
    John Wooden

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
    John Wooden

If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes.
    John Wooden

It isn't what you do, but how you do it.
    John Wooden

It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it.
    John Wooden

It's the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.
    John Wooden

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    John Wooden

Never mistake activity for achievement.
    John Wooden

Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.
    John Wooden

Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
    John Wooden

Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.
    John Wooden

Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.
    John Wooden

The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team.
    John Wooden

The worst thing about new books is that they keep us from reading the old ones.
    John Wooden

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
    John Wooden

What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player.
    John Wooden

Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
    John Wooden

You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one.
    John Wooden

You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    John Wooden

11. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

12. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No. He's been propositioned by many an NBA franchise and has turned them down. The only draw to the Cav's is James. He has so much invested in Mich St, and everyone, literally everyone who is a part of MSU, loves him. I give Izzo maybe a 2% chance that he leaves MSU to hit up Cleveland.

13. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Dude, you are delusional if you give it such a small chance. There were rumors that the players were resigned to seeing him go, Izzo being described as "torn", a six-mill / year salary... I realize that you are a Sparty fan, but I'd be wayyyy more concerned if I were you. Shit, he's in Cleveland right now.

14. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes, the 2% idea is ludicrous. But...to what degree is this contingent upon James?

Tom Izzo is already a rich man. And he's turned down the NBA and lucrative deals before. Why now? I have to assume that the reason is a shot at coaching James.

15. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fine, 2% is pretty crazy, I just have incredibly high hopes that he stays with us and not go to the Cavs. Two things stop him right now, one being the fact that our team this coming year is gonna be fucking awesome...like championship awesome, at least final four for sure. And his reputation and attachment to the city and University is almost unparalleled.
    I believe the main reason he might take the job if Lebron stays is Lebron himself, which is why that's his main clutch. The money is almost not an issue since we pay him a ridiculous amount as it is plus all the bonus's he's gotten in the past 10 years. He has a chance to coach one of the, if not the best player in the NBA right now...BUT his program and his teaching style is all about the team and what the team can do. He has never, ever taught players to play selfishly, which is what I believe James and the Cav's are about since he can gets like 40 pts per game..but I haven't really paid much attn to their playing style, so yeah.

16. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. LucasJackson

LucasJackson
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Leave it to the Wolvie to try and dissuade your spirit. I knew all along that he'd be staying. All I did was refresh ESPN every thirty seconds, pick out my nose hairs, never leave the house, blog about why he should go, contribute to the <a class="postlink" href="http://www.weloveizzo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.weloveizzo.com</a> website, cry myself to sleep at night, snap at people, replay tournament games online, burn my final four t-shirts, and rock back and forth in my room going, "I could have done more... I could have done more..." I was just curious though, is Obama addressing the nation tonight?

Thank God he's staying. Thank God he decided. Now I can go on with my life.

18. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

fuck me in the ear with a cactus

19. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I guess Nebraska didn't scare him off.

20. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

TMZ is reporting that the NCAA is aggresively investigating Kentucky over 4 players (2 just drafted and 2 still on team). Apparently at least has had an agent since high school.

Boy, I can't believe a John Calipari coached team would have this happen. What a jackass.