Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NBA Postseason

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by FoamyBologna, Apr 16, 2010.

1. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So Lebron needs one of the best 50 players ever to win a title? So much for him being the GOAT, or even the best player still in the NBA.

2. El Tee

El Tee
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Over the past 12 months, my personal opinion of Lebron James has taken a considerable dip. It started with his jackass move at the end of the Orlando series, but it really started bubbling up some more with his antics all year: the pregame dancing, the "photo ops", and all that nonsense. I've always wanted to cut the guy some slack for being young but you know what? He's not young anymore. He's a grown man even by NBA standards now, and this is a league that really stretches the maturity window for talented players. He's not just a bad loser...he's a bad winner, too. And while he's not going to win the O'Brien trophy this season, he will be winning the 2010 Free Agent Sweepstakes but it's going to be ugly and there is going to be damage left in the wake.

As I write this, it looks like Mike Brown is taking the hit in what looks to be the final move Danny Ferry can make to keep his petulant superstar in one of the umpteen Cavs uniforms. It's probably not going to work. Without the ring that franchise guys like Kobe (4th season), Wade (3rd), Duncan (2nd), Bird (2nd), Magic (1st), and even Jordan (7th) got by this point in their careers his own star power is only going to decline. He couldn't take a team to the Finals that has had the best record in the league for two years running, two All-Star sidekicks, and some guy that used to be Shaquille O'Neal. His basketball pedigree is plateauing, so right now the only thing he's got going for him is his brand. That's why I think he'll end up with New York or soon-to-be Brooklyn and the precedent is there: it's exactly the same kind of move Shaq made when he went from Orlando to LA and recent history notwithstanding, it ultimately paid off exactly as planned.

Are the Knicks going to be better with Lebron? Sure, but "better" is a relative term in the Eastern Conference where .500 may get you home court advantage. They're only going to be slightly better than average even if Chris Bosh comes along for the ride (hardly a guarantee, since Hedo Turkoglu is the only NBA player that likes to leave decent teams to sign with worse ones). On paper, the Nets look like the more promising team and their new Russian owner will be able to indulge his star in ways Mark Cuban can only dream about. It probably won't result in a championship anytime soon (I won't say never) but at least the spotlight won't fall on Brooklyn the same way it would at MSG. Just ask A-Rod, and that's even considering that the Yankees are a much better run franchise than the Knicks.

All in all, when you consider that this guy is mainly interested in promoting King James and sees winning as a means to that end rather than an end to itself, you have to start considering where he's more likely to do that. In Cleveland, where he's come up painfully short four years running? Nope, the best they can do is hope for a 'Sota shout out when James finally does win a ring. New York? Maybe, but that's still a shitty team that's going to have to renounce its best player (David Lee) to bring Lebron in. New Jersey/Brooklyn? I think so. Brook Lopez and Devin Harris are quality sidekicks that aren't going to demand the ball the way Dwyane Wade or Derrick Rose would in Miami or Chicago, respectively. Plus, coming off of a nearly historic horrible season any kind of improvment would play to the King James narrative. Couple that with the chance to re-invent the franchise by moving to NYC and you have all the makings of a high-profile career that will probably not result in any meaningful banners but will keep James in the spotlight and rolling in lots and lots of cash.

3. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yeah baby! Beat L.A.!

I've never seen a been go nuts like that. Steve Kerr is a vindicated man for all the roster overhauling he had done over the past 3 years - Conference Finals, Spurs sweep, fantastic depth...

Now if only this team could show up on the road.

Aside, did anyone else notice Charles Barkley's quote at halftime -

(Magician pours confetti on assistant, making her dress change color)

Barkley: I tell you what, it'd impress me if she came outta there naked.

*Awkwardest pause you ever heard on TV*

*Nervous laughter from the other announcers*

Others: Uh, yeah, that'd be funny...a wardrobe malfunction....

I was fucking cracking up. Charles Barkley has no filter.

4. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Craig Sager: The poor man's Don Cherry.

And not to jinx it, but two Boston teams blowing 3-0 series leads in the same month? Keep it coming Orlando

5. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Ron Ron Artest can fucking blow me...two baskets, one of which was the game winner? Fucking Artest? At least let Bryant or Gasol or someone worth a shit make the basket.

6. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have to agree about Ron Artest. I can't stand the guy. Defensive genius? Fuuuuuck him. We traded Trevor Ariza for this? That fag just hoists up any shot at any time for no reason at all. He could have 4 open teammates and be guarded by the entire opposing team and still try to find the rim. Die in a fire Ron.

7. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fine. Phoenix lost, I gotta suck it up. Oh well. Boston / LA for the title.

This series has been shockingly one-sided for a rivalry. Boston leads it 9-2....the Lakers have never beaten the Celtics without the services of one Magic Johnson.

More than anything, this will be Kobe Bryant's greatest test as an NBA player...never mind defeats by the Spurs and Pistons in the finals in the early 2000's - he's evolved his game since then and now has a fist full of rings. But I really believe that the Celtics are probably the strongest team he has ever gone up against in his Laker career.

I wonder if he can bring 'em down this time.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Being behind King James and Wade is nothing to scoff at.

Sportscenter did a real cool thing how much it would hurt Cleveland Economically if LJ left, crazy what he has done for that city and franchise.

I can't see him going to NY or Chicago he doesn't need money he wants rings. I second the statement made that they need to get another solid scorer.

9. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I cannot fathom how you can be a post player and be such a bitch and be so soft. It's so rampant in the league, hell everywhere.

Between Garnett settling for fadeaways, Glen Davis being weak down low, even Gasol taking it soft to the rim ... It's goddamn frustrating to watch. Be a man and ATTACK THE FUCKING RIM.

10. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As great of a player as Kobe is (fuck, that's hard admitting as a Spurs fan, but you have to be a realist), Gasol is the man that makes that team go. He had as many rebounds (14) as Garnett, Perkins, Wallace, and Davis had combined. Unreal.

Before he got there, the Lakers were a good team. With him, the Lakers are a championship team. Damn, that hurts to say. Fuck the Lakers, fuck Heisley, and fuck Wallace for putting them over the top.

And yes, fuck me for having posts back to back.

11. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

12. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Paul Pierce's ability to get to the free throw line borders on genius.

KG's foul trouble is huge, especially w/ Sheed's bad back. With his height, fluid release, and turn-around, he gets jumpers over Davis with ease. And he'll hit those all day.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Since when do people hate KG? Your way off here. Ron Artest has to be up there, but I agree this thing LeBron is doing makes me sick to my stomach.

14. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How fucking awful is Ron Artest?! 1-10? Bench this asshole. Traded Trevor Ariza for this assclown?? Give me a a fucking break. Mark my words, Lakers lose this series and it'll be on Artest's weak game.

15. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not "people," just me. I think it was the whole KG vs. Duncan thing; I'm a Duncan guy, naturally, I hate KG.

And I actually kind of like Artest, not necessarily as a player, but as a personality. He's absolutely fucking insane, and the attempts by teams to cover that are really funny. Hopefully, after the Lakers lose to the Celtics in a few games, he explodes again. It's been a while.

16. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What the fuck did I say about Ron Artest. He has to be the worst fucking player acquired in trade this season. The. Fucking. Worst. Blows 3 free throws that would have changed the outcome of the game besides a blown OPEN fucking 3 pointer earlier in the 4th period. When, not if but when the Lakers lose this series this ass hat needs to retire and apologize to all of Los Angeles by going door to door and offering to be allowed to be sodomized by anyone in possession of a cock above 7 inches or who happens to have a broken off broom handle. Fuck Ron Artest.

17. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Kobe Bryant must be tearing that locker room apart brick by brick right now.

18. whathasbeenseen

whathasbeenseen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, shit. Wouldn't you be if you scored all but two of the 3rd quarter points and your teammates stood the fuck around and watched? Wtf is wrong with Andrew Bynum? This team is not worthy of a championship. I'm a Lakers fan from cradle to grave but Fuck The 2010 Lakers. Fuck them in the ass. They fucked up the last game and this one too. I hate Boston with every fiber of my being but those mufuckers hustle their asses off. Rondo? Shit. Amazing. Pierce? Dirty fucking punk bitch but he plays his heart out. And where the fuck did this back up point guard come from? Dude is sick. I can't name more than one player who left it all on the floor for LA tonight. Kobe.... (crickets). But I can name at least 5 who did for Boston. So again, fuck LA. I'm sorry Kobe. I'm sorry the rest of the team let you down. I'm sorry you let these fuckers trade away Ariza. I'm sorry that you'll probably never see another ring again. I'm so so sorry.

19. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Isn't Bynum playing extremely hurt? I remember on several plays him hobbling after jumping. Artest is horrible, it was amazing to see every player on the Lakers but Kobe and maybe Derek Fisher just standing around.

20. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I don't really watch a whole lot of NBA until the playoffs* but I honestly cannot figure out how the refs decide when to call a foul, who to call it on, etc. Everything about it just seem to be really really inconsistent. It's almost like they use some variation of the chart the federal government uses for bankrupt companies. Am I just missing something because I'm a casual fan?

*specifically, the last 2-4 weeks of the 4 month long playoffs. Seriously? 50% of the teams make it to post season?