Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 NASCAR Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Dcc001, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

February 6 marks the official beginning of speedweeks. Talk about all things NASCAR in 2010.

2. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

Re: 2010 NASCAR Thread

I am personally calling this "The Year Jimmie Johnson Failed," because I can't take another 48 victory. I seriously can't. Even if it means Johnson suffers some non-life threatening injury to force him out of the car for several races, I'm okay with it. As long as the bastard doesn't win again.

Prediction for biggest non-story: Danica Patrick. Yeah, she's hot and she's good at F1, but I predict she won't do a thing in NASCAR.

Biggest car change: I think it's the return of the spoiler. I also think we'll see the most infractions/penalties issued to teams for messing around with their spoiler's geometry.

Thoughts on the point system? I think the reason we're seeing a Jimmie Johnson at all is because the points system is inherintly flawed. We wouldn't see this kind of domination if NASCAR were still running the old system. Does anybody have a link to some place that can calculate the 'would-be' outcomes of new-era seasons in old-era points?

3. NotaPharmacist

NotaPharmacist
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Re: 2010 NASCAR Thread

The link for who would have won is here: <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_for_the_cup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_for_the_cup</a>
    Scroll down to "2004 through 2008 Chase Champions Under (Pre-Chase) System"

Biggest car change isn't a car change, but the fact that they're allowing bump-drafting starting at Daytona. There is nothing more enjoyable than watching a car get lifted just a skosh before getting passed.

I wouldn't call Danica Patrick a success in IndyCar. She's won once. NASCAR needs her badly, though, because attendance is flagging. She'll be a well-covered "non-story" to make up for the fact that half of the stands won't be filled this year.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll see someone like Hamlin take the crown away from Jimmie Johnson (and I'm an 18 fan), but to win you have to basically say, "I don't care about everything before the Chase, except to test." I'm not sure I want to see other people drive like that. CyberJimmie can keep winning, I just want to watch the other guys race.

4. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is this the year that Jr. finally admits to being a woman?

Kidding. Kind of. I actually think he'll be pretty good, and unfortunately, I don't have much hope for Carl Edwards, as much as I like him. Johnson needs to eat shit and die at this point, and knowing how NASCAR likes to mess up a good thing I can see them accidentally doing something significant to fuck up his chances for a half-decade of boring dominance. (And yes, I know it's ironic that I say that being a Spurs fan.)

I don't think the rule changes will be noticeable at all (even with a larger restrictor plate), but they are a step in the right direction. However, until NASCAR starts utilizing an independent officiating crew like EVERY OTHER MAJOR SPORT, I'll still just use the races as a good excuse to drink beer and hope for crashes.

5. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I think Rick Hendrick was quoted at the end of last season as saying something like, "All of HMS's 500 employees will be focused on one thing this year: getting Dale Jr. on the podium."

Waste of time, in my opinion. He's like an exaggerated version of Eliot Sadler; how many chances and how many years does someone get to prove themselves?

6. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But his DA-DEH died!!!!!

I love it how they automatically go to him for a quote and opinion right after something major happened. Like he's really in the position to offer an authoritative stance on anything? That's like asking the team's mascot to evaluate his football team's performance in terms of zone vs. man-to-man coverage against the run. What the hell? Daniel Baldwin goes ass over teakettle and there they are, all cameras on Jr., who would have seen the incident if he wasn't second to last place behind the three truck series drivers who pre-gamed before they got behind the wheel and had their left arm out and the window flaps down the entire race while they hydrated with Lonestar and sang aloud to "Redneck Yacht Club" blaring over the team intercom.

Really Jr., I get that your dad died and all that, but unless you can make it to one track without sweating balls over whether or not you are simply going to qualify for that Sunday, or you are not in the position to offer your opinion on anything. Unless you are actually on THE SAME LAP as the drivers with whom the incident took place, you are not in the position to offer your opinion on anything. Unless you actually want to give credit to absolutely anyone other than yourself for handing you the car, the team, the resources and the support staff to go fast enough on Sunday that it makes up for your blatant lack of talent, spacial awareness, and burning competitive desire, you are not in the position to offer your opinion on anything.

Until then, just sit down, shut up, tell the cameras "I can't offer my opinion at this time," and resume your roll mentoring the (much hotter) Danica Patrick on what it takes to be a woman who is (barely) in NASCAR

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

But you're missing the point... Jr. has a MONSTROUS following.

He may not be qualified to say something, but he's the person that a huge chunk of NASCAR fans want to hear from.

Just watch Wind Tunnel some time when they talk about Jr. stuff, and see the masses in action.

It's like Kyle Petty... sucks as a driver, but is still one of the best ambassadors of the sport, and is almost always used for the in-car interview during the yellow flags. His role isn't so much to win races as it is to promote his charities and raise money for them.

8. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I totally agree that Kyle Petty is a phenomenal embassador for the sport, and that his role has changed from driver to fundraiser and announcer, and well it should. His family, no longer competitive after the death of Adam, has segued into a different role. To say nothing of the fact that, in my opinion, Kyle is the finest colour announcer the sport has seen in a long, long time.

I can't apply this logic to Junior, though. Kyle Petty brings something to the table. The only thing Junior brings is the Earnhardt last name, and I think the shine has come off even that. Season after season of producing nothing. And it can't be claimed that it's his team. Jesus Christ, who wouldn't give thier eye teeth to race for Hendrick? And why can Mark Martin, who had no previous affiliation with the team, step right in and produce results while Junior can't even come close to making the chase?

I just don't see what he gives to the sport. He's badly spoken (unless you consider taking off your ball cap, rubbing your head, and saying 'yall' and 'shit' being 'well spoken') with little talent. Give up the seat to someone with potential.

9. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I thought this was a cool quote regarding the rule changes for 2010, from nascar.com

Man, I hope they live up to this hype. If they could return the sport to the free-for-all it once was, then it would be a huge sigh of relief for the fans. Next, all they need are independent officials.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Great. See what happens when NASCAR "drivers" have to learn to turn right?

4-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson crashes during practice at Daytona, but OK

Totalled his car, fucked us out of some practice time.

They say they think it'll be back in time for the race, but my guys in the hot pits say otherwise.

To quote my crew chief, "that car was done fucked up."

(Yes, when Canadians are in a place like Daytona International Speedway, we all take on a South Carolinian affect).

11. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So do y'all think Danica will live up to all the hype? For someone transitioning from open wheel, she sure picked a difficult year to try it with the rule changes.

Like any other red-blooded male worth his salt, I've actually watched her in a few races last year, and she does know what the hell she's doing. It'll be interesting.

12. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I think Danica Patrick will do sweet FA in Cup this year.

Open wheeled drivers always do horribly when they transition to Cup. Always. I think the best one is Juan Pablo Montoya, and he isn't that great. The open-wheeled cars are so aerodynamically sensitive, so delicate (regarding contact with other cars or the wall), and so dependent on computers that drivers are at a huge disadvantage when the transfer to NASCAR'S series.

NASCARs are heavy, they punch a great big hole in the air, and at no point - even during off season testing - are computers allowed in the cars. The entire sport is based on the driver's "feel" for the car, his ability to effectively communicate it to his crew chief, and the crew chief's knowledge and skill at translating that into the proper setup.

No way will she do well. She's racing for JR Motorsports, who do well in the Busch series (I refuse to call it any other name), but they don't have huge money.

Plus, she's a girl. C'mon. If girls were any good at this it would have happened by now.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

AJ Allmendinger can suck my cock.

So can Danika for that matter.

She will do better than people think as she really does have talent.

She's a PR wet dream.

14. maybe

maybe
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Tony Stewart.

15. Samr

Samr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a few moments Danica is about to run her first NASCAR race. Unlike Dale Jr. (who I regularly fantasize about punting in the twat), I actually understand, and am happy for, all the talk surrounding her. From what I have heard, it isn't so much hype as it is "this is going to be really really good for the sport."

I hope it is.

16. NotaPharmacist

NotaPharmacist
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I'm torn. Danica was sixth and by all accounts didn't try to be a jackass in the ARCA race. The winner didn't mind the fact that the only reason the race received any coverage was because of GoDaddy's best investment.

She's got Tony Eury as a crew chief for what's looking like a real good chance of the 7 showing up at the NASCAR Nationwide race at Daytona. He's a good guy, and will tell it like it is.

On the other hand, she was fellated by both the announcers and a Sportscenter host for... not crashing too badly.

I really want to see her do Nationwide, but this is like going to a strip club. A lot of promise, but... I guess Nett's right. We're all talking to her, and it's still a week before any real racing comes about.

/still hopes someone puts her into a wall.

17. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

The ARCA race was a good one - but then, it's always good when they take this league and put it on a Daytona or Talledega track, because it's so much more than the drivers are used to.

That being said; Jesus Christ, did anyone brief Danica on what to do during the race? During that red flag, according to the announcers, she asked the following questions:
    - How long do these typically last?
    - What fans do I need to shut off?
    - How do I park?
    - Do I need to shut my radio off?

That last one blew me away. Man. Yeah, she raced well, but it's ARCA. Not the same class at all as Cup or even Nationwide.

Am I the only one who yelled with delight when Kurt Busch cut down the track, launched across the grass, shut up the track and hit the wall, all without making contact with anyone else? I love it when a Busch brother does that.

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Here's a Danika recap of the race:

I'm actually surprised that there wasn't more carnage.

People really have no idea just how hard it is to run at Daytona.

The transition from the flats to the banking is INSANE. The banking is so steep that you cannot see the sky out of your front windshield... you only see racetrack.

See that camera view in the youtube clip? Notice how all the cameras are mounted really low, and on the outside of the passenger seat? That's way different than where the driver's head is looking out the windshield.

Just imagine going 180mph+, sitting in the drivers seat, going around banking that is too steep to walk up, and looking at the very top of your windshield and seeing only a curving arc of pavement. No sky. EVERY new driver we have that runs the banking at Daytona gets freaked out by this... it's just not natural, because you just can't see what's ahead of you beyond that arc. Their "holy fuck I've got to slow down" reaction is the first and most important thing we have to train out of them in practice... and they have to learn to trust their spotters.

Danica's plan of sticking to the yellow lines was smart, as it's one of the few visual markers that you have around the entire track, and will help you stay properly oriented during the transitions.

You'll notice that a lot of the carnage was a result of people either going too slow and sliding down the bank, or being off line during the transitions and getting kicked sideways.

Anyway, yeah, crazy PR for her, but I've got to say; bitch can drive!

She showed lots of talent in that recovery of hers.

#18 Nettdata, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. maybe

maybe
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ok, here's my view on the whole Danica thing: If ever there was a driver that managed to be vastly overhyped, while paradoxically underrated, it's her.

The attention surrounding her is understandable, but annoying as hell. The announcers went out of their way to talk about her, a lot like they do in Indy races. The only advantage here was Darrell Waltrip's inadvertent innuendo. I'm pretty sure he was going on for a good minute about how much everyone was tapping Danica, or tapping her [car] from behind. Her primary sponsor is annoying as shit in commercials; any feminist would be ashamed of her commercials, and any guy just wishes she'd quit teasing and get naked already. She is overexposed, and possibly over-extended schedule-wise.

That said, race fans seem to discount a lot of her skills. She is a competent oval driver already. She is aggressive in a way a lot of Indy drivers are not but a lot of NASCAR drivers are. She is a consistent contender at the Indy 500 with a legitimate shot at winning it some day. She has a win in the IRL during what may be it's least competitive, most unbalanced era EVER.

Somebody asked why she couldn't repeat the feat (winning) in the IRL. But the truth is, that series has lost all competitiveness. The year she won, Ganassi and Penske won a big majority of the races. This year, they won *every race except one.* If you thought the Hendrick/Gibbs/Rousch situation in NASCAR was bad, the Ganassi/Penske stranglehold in the IRL makes NASCAR's top teams look like a bunch of inconsistent part-timers. Since Danica won, only two drivers have won and repeated who weren't in Ganassi or Penske cars both times. And one of those two, Will Power, got one of those in an 'IRL' race without those teams entered (the last CART race) and he won his second in a Penske car.

Andretti-Green is a good team, but it is second tier. I almost get the feeling that Danica's NASCAR maneuverings may be an attempt to threaten the IRL with a big enough popularity hit that she can jump to a top tier team. She's hit a wall in Indy - 5th place in points is as high as any non-Ganassi/Penske driver can pull, and she's done it.

She's proven that she is an above average Indy driver, and she is smart enough to actually start in the low tiers of NASCAR. Now we'll see how she takes to 'stock' cars. She's in what is essentially a Hendrick ride. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins toward the end of this season.

20. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

At the risk of beating the Danica thing to death, a note about her starting in the lower leagues.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this has to do with licensing. As a driver, you must be licensed to run at each track you race. In order to get a license, you must have run X number of races in a lower league at that track, or Y number of races in the present league at a smaller track. This is typically why tons of drivers show up to Bristol and Martinsville in an attempt to qualify for the race; the tracks are small enough that they are open to a broad number of drivers who might not be licensed to run at, say, one of the cookie cutter tri-ovals.

Danica is likely running these races to fast-track her licensing; probably they've already pulled every string they can to propel her through the ranks, but some allowances have to be made. Like running Daytona in ARCA, not Busch or Cup.