Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Beefy Phil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because where else will a drunk fan intentionally make himself vomit on an 11 year old girl?

2. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And oddly enough, I could see this as an episode plot for "It's Always Sunny". I could see Charlie or Dee doing this.

Twins just pulled off their first sweep of the year, and it couldn't have been at a better time or against a better team. I'm ecstatic right now. Their only issue: they need to hit better with bases loaded. I think their AVG with bases loaded is around .100. You can't win in the postseason if you miss opportunities like that.

3. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Yeah.... that's what I fucking said! All you did was repeat and quote the obvious statement I made, make other sarcastic obvious predictions and then ask me how much I follow baseball (except you did that first, it just doesn't sound as good that way). The point was the Red Sox won't and I don't care of New York does, but they will. Jesus.

4. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I'd be afraid of making all these predictions if I were you. You never fucking know when a big injury, big trade, or any other random shit will completely turn a season on its head. For example, Lackey, Lester, and Backett have all been pitching way worse than they can. I'm willing to bet money on all three of those guys turning it around and having solid years. Lester and Lackey are already showing signs of turning the corner. Combine that with Buchholz, who has been pitching very well all year and you've got 4 SP's capable of putting up ERA's of 3.50 or lower. In the AL East. Even with all of David Ortiz' woes, the Sox are the second best team in baseball in Slugging%. Now imagine they add Adrian Gonzales to that mix. That shit is scary. By absolutely no means is the AL East a 2 team race. There is a very reasonable chance that either the Yanks or the Rays don't even make the playoffs.

Now if any of those teams were to magically shift to the AL west, we've got a different story to tell. Hell I'm pretty sure the Blue Jays would dominate there.

5. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup the only safe bet is that The Phils win the national league. Two in a row from the cards? How about it!! No one even got tazed.................

6. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know about the Rays taking the East. They have very little pitching depth and one extended DL stint for any of their top 3 would be very bad for them. Especially since they don't have the financial clout to go take on a heavy contract from a team that's out of it.

Sox pitching is coming around and that's where there money is invested. If their pitchers can hold the opposition to 2-3 runs then the lack luster offense can take care of putting something on the board. Also I believe Ortiz will be spot playing DH soon. Lowell is just hitting too well to sit him. Unfortunately just as it seems like Ortiz is finished he hits a homerun or two.

If I've learned anything as my years as a baseball fan it's that it's a LONG fucking season.

7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I have learned anything in baseball it's that the Yankee's and Sox ridiculous, bloated payrolls make it impossible for the Rays, Toronto or Baltimore to ever win the division. It has happened before can lightning strike twice?

8. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

The team I really feel for is the Jays. The Rays get a lot of respect from me for what they've managed to do with the little money they have. Seriously, they were smart enough to trade Delmon Young for Matt Garza? Did anyone think that trade was in the Rays benefit when that happened? The Orioles are just idiots. They haven't scouted well and when they had a ton of money they pissed it away on guys like Raffy Palmeiro. Just bad moves. The Jays on the other hand have been a pretty good team for a long time now. In any other division they would be fighting for the playoffs every year, maybe even making a decent run at a world series. They just get fucked in the ass by the Red Sox and Yanks, who keep in mind they have to play against a lot more than other teams, every year.

9. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

They have the best record in the MLB right now, and are a game and a half in front of New York. I'm not thrilled about our bullpen either. But Garza is excellent and we didn't have that great of a bullpen in 2008 either. Don't the Wankees and Red sux play tomorrow? I'll be watching that, hoping everyone loses.

Mike Ness is right. We have to do the best with our best because we don't have the kind of money it takes to buy another team if our starters get injured. I'm not trying to be a dick, but come on. Boston and New York are like the kids from the prep school playing against some poor ass public high school on the other side of town. But I still think the Rays can do it. If they don't I'm putting my money on the Yankees. It pains me to say that because I HATE THEM (only a little more than Boston though). I'm not making any premptive excuses for the Rays though. If they don't win the AL east then it will be because they weren't as good. But I have faith in us. Nothing's for sure and a lot can happen. But I just think the Rays have a god damn good shot.

If you haven't noticed, I'm a Rays fan. I'll make you a bet right here and now at the beginning of the season. If the Sox win the AL East I'll keep the avatar and signature of your choosing until the last game of the world series. If the Rays win, you have to do the same for me. If neither end up taking it, then it's a wash. If for instance New York wins and the Sox take the wildcard, then you win. Of course vice versa for me. How about it?

10. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Correction: I meant to dubyu tf is right, I confused his post with mikes

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You realize it's May and not September right? That a 1.5 game lead in the division right now is the equivalent of being excited about a pitcher who threw 6 innings of no hit ball in high school?

I've always like the Devil Rays, especially since they hired Joe Madden. A scrappy low budget team that actually spends their revenues on the roster and has played spoiler for the division numerous times over the years. But fans like you are ruining them for me. As for the winning... act like "you've" (meaning all of Rays fandom) been there before because you have.

As I said a few posts ago... there's a shit ton of baseball left to be played.

12. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You didn't answer my question. In fact, you did everything to avoid it.

13. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're a little annoyed that I'm right eh? A little too excited about May 8th? Don't worry, after you're a baseball fan for more than a few years you'll get it.

To answer your "question"... no I won't be giving up my Wakefield avatar. Nor do I want you sporting it. My love for Wakefield supercedes my love of the Red Sox.

How about instead we wager straight cash. We send $100? to Nettdata (he seems trustworthy... maybe) to hold until the season wraps. Winner based on your conditions. Accept?

Edit: You use of "We" when talking about the team is really starting to get under my skin.

14. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I was annoyed that you were avoiding the question. I thought you were bitching out. But it looks like I underestimated you.
    No, I KNOW(I don't actually know anything but have a good hunch) you're wrong. This isn't about a 1.5 game lead. It's just about who the better team is. But you're right, cash is better. I'll send 50 via paypal when I get my check next Friday. As long as that's not too low for you, we have a deal.

Edit: The idea that I would ever ever ever ever be caught dead anywhere even near red sox colors is ridiculous.

15. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm still in on that bet. No, the rays are no longer leading the AL East. That changes nothing for me.

16. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been following the little back and forth with GF with much delight. I have to ask to you hate the Sox more than the Yankees? I didn't think that possible. I mean I was annoyed like everyone else by "The Red Sox Nation" crap and every chick wearing a pink Sox cap (which of course has been replaced in my beloved hometown by every college girl wearing a pink phillies hat) but to dislike them more than the evil empire? Wow.

I of course am in the National League so all of my hatred is reserved for the Mets and Chipper Jones.

By the way Guy I too am guilty of saying "we." I just told my Dad that if "We" don't get a real closer it could be real trouble.

Your dedication to not only the Sox but Tim Wakefield is most admirable.

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The whole "we" thing is a pet peeve. Whenever my friends and I go out to the bars to watch the games if someone says it then they buy the next round. My buddy Chris is really bad at it and bought 4 consecutive rounds on Friday night while we were watching the Bruins before cutting his losses and keeping quiet until the end of the game.

Since we're making predictions I'll make this one. Wakefield will be back in the rotation come June. It'll be a temp assignment at first because someone is injured but he'll rattle off a bunch of ridiculous games and the Sox will leave him in. I'm probably the only person that actively searches out his interviews and comments and since the beginning of spring training he's had a bit of an edge to him. He realizes he only has a season or two left pitching and wants to make the most of it.

Once he gets the job back he'll have a fucking strangle hold on it.

By the way, no one, and I mean NO ONE is worse than Boston's Pink Hats. A local radio show plays this bit called "Ask The Pink Hat" where they ask women questions after the game they just attended. It's fucking amazing how little these broads know. Here's one of the segments. <a class="postlink" href="http://985thesportshub.cbslocal.com/2010/05/10/ask-a-pink-hat-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://985thesportshub.cbslocal.com/201 ... ink-hat-3/</a>

The funniest part is that they have a system for gauging how awful these women are going to be. If they say their favorite player is Jacoby Ellsbury then it's almost 100% that they won't get a single question right.

These horrible pseudofans are the reason tickets are so fucking expensive in Boston. Fuck it I'm going to watch the Sox in Detroit all weekend. Haven't been to the new park yet and we've got seats next to the Sox dugout. You can bet your ass I'll be all over Francona asking why Wakefield isn't pitching.

18. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

It's hard to say. I hate both of them about equally. As much as I hate to admit it, most Yankee fans I've met in real life really aren't douche bags. So I guess that answer is I hate the yankees as a team and red sox fans which creates an equal hatred for both.

edit: I mean, really. Red Sox fans are just act like they're entitled to win. Patriots fans are EVEN WORSE. A red sox fan can never shut up about how they're a red sox fan. A red sox fan can never shut up about how they're the best (when the yankees really are). A red sox fan can never shut up about how the yankees suck.

Then you have the yankees fans. They seem normal to me. EXCEPT, they support a fucking team that abuses no salary cap (luxury tax isn't going to stop it all), Is home to A-rod, And usually also support the Giants which is another discussion in itself.

19. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People complain when Joba Chamberlain gets pumped up on the mound. I have never in my life seen when the Detroit closer Valverde does. When he got a strikeout he would pump his fist, do a complete spin, skip off to the first base side, take off his hat, get down on his knee and then put his hat back on.

I didn't care if A-Rod got a hit, I was just hoping he would hit a line smash off Valverde's face.

Edit: Elset, your a Detroit fan, does he always do this?

20. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Valverde has done his act since his days in Arizona. Wait for his sinker to be flat one day and he gets smashed. I'm amazed that he doesn't have double digit blown saves considering that he obviously has emotion playing a huge part in his game. Whatever. He is a one trick pony who sniff Rivera's jock.

As for you Starling, please do not become Alfonso Soriano. Please. I do not expect you to take us to the World Series, post-season, or to win Rookie of the Year. A 20-20 season would be remarkable. All I want is a player with actual range who can give the Cubs solid middle infield fielding. Plant feet and throw. That is all