Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Beefy Phil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

As a Twins fan I'm really excited. I know it's still early, but they're looking awesome so far. They typically start off slow and make an intense run at the division after the All-Star Game, but this year they are starting off uncharacteristically good. Hopefully they can keep it up.

But, as with every MN team, it doesn't matter because they'll end up fucking it all up in the post-season.

2. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching the Yankees game and was wondering what was different about the last two games. Michael Kay isn't announcing the games. No wonder they have been more enjoyable. I don't have to listen to him talking non stop for nine innings.

I still can't believe that the fucking Yankees have the worst radio announcers in professional sports and one of the worst TV announcers in Michael Kay.

3. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know a lot of you have MLB.tv, and there was some news about it today that has me pretty excited. MLB.tv streaming on the PS3!

4. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, the Brewers shut out the Pirates 20-0 today in Pittsburgh. Sick.

Also, no recognition of Jimenez's No-hitter? It wasn't the best no hitter you'll see, he walked 6 guys, but a no-hitter is a no-hitter. I didn't see it live, but I watched the last out on a highlight, and the announcers and the celebration seemed so unenthused, it kind of ruined it. It may have been an Atlanta feed (and the game was in atlanta) that I was watching, so that could account for the announcers, but come on players.

Edit: Here's the video. Seems to be a colorado feed. What's wrong with them?

I'm comparing this to the Verlander no-hitter back in '07

5. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The radio announcers are absolutely atrocious. Driving to and from school I am basically forced to listen to them if I want to listen to sports radio around here. Suzyn (seriously? Suzyn?) Waldman is literally one of the dumbest color commentators I have ever heard. And if I have to hear one more cutesy ("it's an A-Bomb, from A-rod" "Cano...don't ya know") home run call from Jon Sterling I am going to puncture my own fucking eardrums. It'd be one thing if he only used them in big situations, but it could be a home run in the top of the 6th with the Yanks up 12, and he's throwing out the gayest call I've ever heard.

6. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First of all, Sterling is guilty of a lot of things: missing calls, calling the completely wrong pitches, and announcing home runs that aren't actually home runs, but the unintentional hilarity he provides more than makes up for his shortcomings. He sounds like a narcoleptic Alzeheimer's patient, and Waldman sounds like a muppet who smokes Kents and drinks Dale's Backyard Gin. It's awesome.

Secondly, anyone is better than Michael Kay. Seriously. Anyone. I could fart through a comb wrapped in wax paper and call a better game than that man, with his pretentious voice and moronic questions. I'm still waiting for Singleton or Flaherty to get fed up and punch him right in the jugular.

7. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fans of other teams, imagine listening to this woman during your games:

#67 zyron, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wait, it's a woman? No thanks.

I can't take women sportscasters seriously. I always just assume they don't know what they're talking about and are being fed lines, and I don't like it. Of course, men can do that too, but they get the benefit of the doubt because they're men.

9. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

All sample size caveats certainly apply, but...

Through four starts, Liriano has the following numbers:

IP - 29.0
    ERA - 0.93
    WHIP - 0.97
    K/BB - 27/10
    Hits - 18

He's got a few MPH back on his fastball and is now sitting at 93-94 with the changeup in the low 80's. The slider seems to have more bite on it as well and he's inducing a good number of ground balls. I don't suspect he'll ever regain the form he had in '06 when he looked as though he was going to become a top 3 pitcher in baseball, but from what he's shown in his first four starts (plus the glowing reports from Winter Ball), I think he's got a reasonable chance to become a true #1 starter.

Let's just hope the elbow problems stay in the past. I read a bit about the "Inverted W" a couple months back and noticed that Liriano was guilty of that throwing motion. I haven't seen any still shots from his games this year, but watching them live, it appears he's brought his elbow down below the shoulder, which should put less tension on it.

10. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lincecum is absolutely amazing. The Phils got lucky today with an embarrassing error in left field to avoid the sweep but it wasn't TL's fault.

The only pitchers to win back to back Cy Youngs in the NL were:

Sandy Koufax
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson and TL, has anyone ever had a three-peat? I can't speak for Koufax but Lincecum had the worst offense of the bunch in my opinion, the guy is an absolute STUD.

11. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson both won 4 in a row, so Lincecum has a ways to go. Especially with Roy Holliday in the league.

12. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm taking a blown call for a reason to bitch about another problem.

The blown call last night on Denard Span's "drop" was absolutely horrible. This ended up costing us 6 runs when the Twins probably would've gotten out of the inning. Rather than being 2 outs with a guy on first, there was 1 out with runners on second and third. Yeah, blown calls suck, it happens.

Here is my rant: the gigantic pieces of kevlar some of these batters wear when they go up there. Miggy has taken the reigns from Barry Bonds and now goes up there with a full shield on his arm. Last night, he could have easily gotten out of the way of the Pat Neshek pitch, but instead, because he's wearing that gigantic elbow pad, he simply leaned in, took the pitch on the arm, and it didn't even phase him.

I liken this to "cage courage" in hockey. You make plays you normally wouldn't when you have a cage on versus not having any facial protection. Call me a purist, but I think the ridiculous amount of pads these guys wear at the plate is ridiculous. I'm ok with the leg guard for foul balls and what not, but anyhing up there to protect your upper body to make it easier to take pitches is just BS.

[/rant]

13. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Kratos-
    If it's not illegal, then why get mad? Don't you think hitters pre-1970 hatted getting their tower buzzed by the pitcher because the pitcher gave up a gopher to the previous batter? It was legal. Same with sliding spikes up, or in the case of Cobb, sharpening the spikes. Part of the game. Baseball is all about gamesmanship and these guys are simply working within the rules to gain an advantage.

14. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, then there should be some type of rule added to limit the amount of padding you can have up there. I'm all for as much protection over the head, but other than that there should be a limit.

Here's example refuting your "if it's not illegal, then why get mad" comment. Do you watch hockey? If you do, you'll remember the travesty that was JS Giguere's pads in the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs. He looked like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man out there. Was it within the rules? Yes. Did it piss off everyone except for Anaheim fans? Pretty much.

Just because it's within the rules, doesn't make it right. Rules will eventually tackle this when more and more players try and take advantage of this; I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

15. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Haha. Yeah what a break. Horrible call. Hard to say how it would've affected the inning though. From there we hit 3 straight doubles on 4 pitches. Crain was missing a little something last night. Then again, hat it been called properly, Neshek would've possibly stayed in. But, then again, Gardenhire (and his replacement) were bringing in pitchers like they grow on trees. 4 pitches for 4 batters I think, ending with Crain. Like I said, it's hard to say.
    I've got tickets to this afternoon's game, but I'm working so I won't be there.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

17. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No chatter on Ryan Howard's deal?? Second highest paid player in baseball? It is eclipsing the Flyers playoff run here in Philly, it's all anyone wants to talk about.

18. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if anyone is watching the Yankee game, but some fucking fat retard with a coat just blocked Nick Swisher from catching a 3 run homer. Oh no fucker, protect your fucking nachos and swing your coat right in front of his glove.

19. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Cmon bro Nachos in the new Yankee's stadium cost 29.99, he can't lose that shit!

20. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Austin Jackson so far is turning out great. Tonight he's 5 for 5 (in the 7th, so he may get another AB). Coming into the game he was already leading the league in hits, with I think 31. What's curious about it all is I think he also lead the league in K's. Prior to this week's series against Minnesota he had struck out at least once in every game he played. Then against Minny he didn't K at all. So far I'm liking the kid.

Other things of note tonight:
    Scott Sizemore gets his first HR in the bigs.
    Brennan Boesch gets his first HR in the bigs, a grand slam.
    Johnny Damon scored his 1500 and 1501 runs.
    Rick Porcello is still struggling. 5 ER in 5 1/3 tonight. 8ERA on the season.

On Thursday, Magglio got his 2000 and 2001 hits.