Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Beefy Phil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sabathia taking a no-no into bottom of the 8th. Jinx alert.

EDIT: Aaaaand 'boom' goes the dynamite.

2. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Good day for baseball if you're a fan of pitching prospects; Strasburg, Chapman, and Leake all making their professional debuts this afternoon.

3. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Mike Leake looked great. Got himself out of jams really well and only gave up a run. Plus had two of the Reds' three hits. It's a shame they gave him absolutely zero offense, because today should have been win number one for his career.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm a huge Sox homer but really? High energy with the Yankees who couldn't fill their new stadium? Plus the Sox are in Kansas City, who didn't sell out their park on the home opener. Disgusting.

Sox-Yankees games shouldn't be held until the second month of the season. The games are atrociously long and all the "rivalry" shit is fabricated and without bite this early in the season.

I'll give the Yankees credit for blasting Tampa Bay this weekend though. Makes me feel a little better about how the Sox lineup did against them when they were here.

5. jets22

jets22
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You couldn't tell since the crowd was at least 60% Yankee fans but Rays series he was talking about was in Tampa. The Yanks home opener isn't until tomorrow.

I'm with you on holding off Yankees-Sox games until May though. If you're going to play up the manufactured rivalry nonsense and make the games seem bigger than they are, at least wait until they've played some games and give the standings a chance to shake themselves out a bit. Seven or eight games against each other within the first month and a half of the season and then nothing until August just seems dumb.

6. Kratos

Kratos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Target Field is amazing. I had the chance to go take the tour during their open house; there are so many small gems hidden throughout the stadium. They really paid attention to the details. The food is incredible as well. If any of you get to make the trip here this year, take advantage of the opportunity.

7. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I wouldn't. Staring at a San Diego Padres offensive explosion is a lot like a solar eclipse, except you'll be blinded by the ugly baseball.

8. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

The really amazing part of that is that out of the total 17 runs, only ONE was driven in by Adrian Gonzales. I mean I know Chase Headley has talent but Blanks? Veneable? Hundley? Who the hell are these guys?

9. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Wow, Matusz looks really good tonight. 85 pitches through 7 innings against Tampa and only 2 hits.

10. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Meanwhile Romero of the Jays has pitched 7 innings of no-hit ball with 12 k's and 2 walks against the ChiSox. 90 pitches

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of the Jays, does anyone think they might have a little something for the AL East this year? Or will they come back down to earth? Wells looks good but the previous two seasons are on my mind.

12. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This has been taking some public heat lately, an umpire called the average length of a sox yankees game an embarrassment to baseball. The average time is 3hr and 20 somthin minuets when an average baseball game is just under three.

The thing is you can't blame the players for that, they don't constantly go to commercial. Which brings up my question when your there live how do they address the constant stop's and delays? Or are you to busy screaming at Derek Jeter to notice.

13. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

In short, no. I could list all kinds of reasons, but the two most important ones are that the offense isn't good enough and neither is the pitching staff.

This is really just an excuse to post a graph I came across yesterday that shows just how meaningless records are within the first two weeks of the season. You'll notice that the same Blue Jays got off to a similarly hot start just last year.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.talkingchop.com/2010/4/13/1418889/dont-worry-braves-fans-yet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.talkingchop.com/2010/4/13/14 ... s-fans-yet</a>

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

At the games they put shit on the jumbotron and play music. All those 30 second commercial breaks do add up quick though. NESN has this great program called "Sox in 2" where they replay the game in two hours. It's awesome if I can avoid seeing/hearing the score and just watch that.

15. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This Mets and Cardinals game is rediculous, 0-0 heading into the 17th inning. The Mets are pretty pathetic, I wonder how long untill Manuel is fired.

Edit: A Cards position player just pitched and got through the top of the 18th, the Mets suck.

16. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I was just watching highlights of the second week on the MLB Network and have a question. Why does Florida have a baseball team? On opening night in Miami, there looked to be all of 16 people in the stadium.

17. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sweet Jesus I'm happy I didn't plunk down $150 for a bleacher seat at Fenway today. What an ugly fucking game.

The Sox invested heavily in pitching and so far it hasn't paid off. Lackey just got pulled after 4 innings of work and the Sox are down 8-0 to the Rays who started the season series with a sweep. Yuck.

The thing that really sucks about being in the AL East is that a stretch like this can truly bury a team.

18. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They're playing in Sun Life, which is meant for football. From what I've heard, it's a pretty unpleasant place to watch a baseball game and is consistently ranked among the worst venues in MLB. Even if you get a good crowd, there are going to be a shitload of empty seats that get tarped over.

They're supposed to have a new stadium by 2012. Hopefully that brings attendance up, even if the Fish suck.

19. Arms Akimbo

Arms Akimbo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. travdiddy84

travdiddy84
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot