Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 MLB Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Beefy Phil, Mar 2, 2010.

1. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can do whatever you want. There are no rules for how you should determine who you root for. However, the Giants did prevent the Padres from making their first playoff appearance in a long time. I personally would be too bitter to cheer for them.

I don't think I ever seen a bullpen break down that bad. How many runs did they give up in the 8th, and how many of them where walk ins? It was a good game up until that point, then it was just too brutal to watch.

2. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Matt Cain has been better than Lincecum.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Matt Cain has certainly pitched better the Lincecum in the World Series. Lincecum has won the Cy Young for the last two years and has a shut down 2 hit complete game in the playoffs this year. At this moment I would not want to pick one over the other, I just think it is nice that both of them are on a team I get to watch a great deal.

The scary part is that this starting lineup is going to be together for four or five years. The Giants have already been signing these guys throughout their arbitration years. So all those rich East Coast teams will not even have a chance to go after them for a bit. The Giants should have their stadium paid off in another eight years and that will free up $30 million a year in cash to start signing free agents.

Fuck and I am going to have to hear their fans crowing about this forever now.

4. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Three down one to go.

5. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They are going crazy on the Embarcadero. Well that just goes to show what happens when the best pitching in baseball meets the best hitting.

6. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just want to let the following sink in:

Juan Uribe and Aaron Rowand have two world series rings.

7. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Lame World Series....although seeing Lincecum and Brian Wilson pitch the shit out of the Rangers was something else. I was expecting the Ranger's bats to finally wake up tonight, but oh well.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Compared to last years it was especially awful. If you compared to collage football it would be like the Rose Bowl vs. The Blockbuster bowl.

9. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Bah, that is the kind of answer anyone gives if the team they want fails to make it to the series. Listening to the radio and TV out west and you would think it was the greatest Series in the last 50 years.

I do the same thing. I did not watch last years series. I had no desire whatever to see two teams I do not like play. I had an interest in this years series as the Rangers are in the same division as the A's and I go and watch the Giants a couple of times a year.

If a couple of East Coast teams make it next year, I doubt I will watch. I am certain I will think that it matches up to this years series even if it goes seven games and is undecided until the last pitch in each game.

10. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some articles about the worst teams who ever reached the World Series:

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-forbesworstchamps102210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=y ... amps102210</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/yankees-rangers-giants-business-sports-baseball-worst-world-series-champs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.forbes.com/2010/10/21/yankee ... hamps.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/7511549/Top-Five-Worst-World-Series-Participants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.scribd.com/doc/7511549/Top-F ... rticipants</a>

I think that the 1998 Padres have to take the cake, at least as far as in my lifetime.

11. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm tellling you it has nothing to do with that. In fairness I'm not much of a "pitchers dual" guy, I like offense. I also doubt anyone was hanging on there seat when the Phils won in 08, Tampa Bay was hardly a juggernaut. This year was just sloppy and not exciting to watch. Last years WS was amazing and chock full of talent.

I won't take anything away from the pitching staff of the Giants, god what I wouldn't do for Brian Wilson. I'd be surprised if they are that good next year, I don't think they will get much from Burell, Ross, or the WS M.V.P. I am a huge fan of Posey though, I think he'll be around for a while.

12. Man On The Moon

Man On The Moon
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

"Chock full of talent"?

That talent that Javier Lopez tea-bagged?

That parade was crazy.

Like Posey said, many more will happen.

13. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was talking about the numerous all stars and potential HOF'ers that we saw in last years world series. I meant the yankees as well you moron.

I'm sure you guys will be good for years! I mean with all that young talent to depend on, Pat Burrell, Cody Ross, Edgar Renteria, Aaron Rowand, and that spring chicken Jaun Uribe? Face it you have a patched together 2003 Marlin team.

The pitching is amazing though. If they can actually get some players around Posey and Sanchez they really will be a contender for a while. If they keep the bats they have however don't count on it.

14. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it time for the hot stove league? The Oakland A's exercised their club option on Coco Crisp and Mark Ellis last week. I thought that was a good move as Crisp was a pretty effective center fielder after he came back from injury. Mark Ellis is just a steady pro ballplayer. He is not a superstar by any stretch, but he makes the routine plays at second and is a decent hitter.

Sadly, the Oakland A's did not exercise their option on Chavez. It saves the team 12 million dollars to hopefully go to a good free agent. More than likely, it will go into the owner's pocket.

Well less than 120 days till pitchers and catchers report.

15. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ESPN drops Miller and Morgan from their TV duties. About time, Morgan has always been lost and I am not going to miss him.

16. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Agreed. Morgan sucks. But I dig Miller. Without him I wouldn't know how to pronounce half of the hispanic players names out there.

My vote goes to any combination that includes Bobby Uecker. (without a cough button and no delay)

17. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Now if only McCarver and Buck would get canned...

18. theillest

theillest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Congrats Robbie! The greatest 2nd baseman of all time! (Never saw Joe Morgan play, I know he was awesome and possibly better than Alomar, but c'mon, there's no way he had the defensive chops Robbie had.)

19. JGold

JGold
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Busy offseason for the Rockies. After locking up Tulo for what amounts to life, now they're on the brink of inking Carlos Gonzalez for seven years and $80 million. That's a hell of a core. They're also expected to be able to sign Ubaldo Jimenez to a long-term contract after the 2011 season.