Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by JR17, May 26, 2010.

1. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, this is all true technically speaking, but being better than Slovenia & Algeria does not a rivalry make. It will be surprising if both the US and the UK don't move on.

Their biggest rivals have been a hodgepodge of teams they have trouble beating ever since their traditional rival (Scotland) ceased being relevant. Germany are the usual citation, but it could be anyone really. Argentina-England has a semi-legitimate claim due to the Hand of God goal, but Germany has slightly more history. The guy above me is right; it's sort of whoever they're playing tomorrow.

Personally, I'm pulling for Argentina after the US, because a) Messi is wonderful to watch, and b) Maradona makes me laugh. The more spotlight he gets, the better.

2. PeaMan

PeaMan
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

As decent a start as is to be expected for RSA against Mexico. Without a tin there I think it will be tough for either of those teams to progress. France and Uruguay are the front runners there, but (this will be the only time I ever say this) I would like the saffers to do quite well.

3. Porkins

Porkins
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Did it bother anyone else that the commentator on ESPN went on and on about how the disallowed Mexico goal should've stood because the man wasn't offsides? Has he ever read the laws of the game? Good god -- that much ignorance and he's broadcasting to millions.

4. JR17

JR17
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Yeah it really pissed me off too. If he had got the ball directly off the corner he would have been onside, but as soon as his teammate flicked it on it was clear as day that he was offside. Those are some shitty commentators ESPN.

5. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That's nuts. They have never scored a goal in the world cup.

6. Tom Ato

Tom Ato
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Gerrard. damn.....

If I was Tim Howard, I'd be shitting my pants

7. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy shit!!

8. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fucking hell, when I left work we were 1-0 up what the fuck happened.

9. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gotta be one, if not the, luckiest goal in all World Cup History...the soccer God's smiles on us today. They are definitely outplaying us; we can't stay on our man or make accurate passes at all. We just have to get a skill goal and we'll be golden.

10. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This was one of the worst WC matches I've seen. The quality was really low.

11. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Should have watched Greece South Africa earlier. I didn't think it was that bad a game although not very entertaining. Obviously wasn't expecting much from USA but England could have been a bit more imaginative there.

12. Nohik

Nohik
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

[​IMG]

Why do English goalies always fuck up?

13. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why? Because there was one lucky goal? The quality wasn't that bad. You obviously haven't watched many of the other matches this world cup.

14. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)

Greece - South Africa? That's a new one. I thought Greece got completely assaulted by South Korea? Greece looked like shit and are on their way home soon. Korea, however, should get to at least the 2nd round. Lee Chung-Yong and Park Ji-Sung looked very good, as did the veteran Kim Nam-Il when he got on the pitch from the bench.

In other news, FUCK YOU ROBERT GREEN YOU STUPID CUNT. He made the EXACT SAME error while in goals for West Ham this past season. Guy doesn't fucking learn. Milner was also completely useless. I don't think either of these guys will start again in this WC. Gareth Barry can't get fit quickly enough. Lampard also didn't play particularly well, and Rooney ran around like a headless chicken, getting too far ahead of Lennon's crosses.

Joe Hart NEEDS to start the next game.

15. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Don't forget Peter Crouch. Again just shows England can't come together properly as a team.

16. Supertramp

Supertramp
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watch more than enough soccer, I only caught this match this world cup because I was working for the other matches. That being said, I was expecting more creativity from England but with Capello they'd rather get a 1-0 win than try to actually play soccer.

Up Germany.

17. Durej

Durej
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well considered we were favored to lose I will take a tie over a loss any day. USA USA USA!!!

18. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Don't take this as a personal attack, but I think people should be careful when saying words like 'worst' and 'best' when describing football matches. In my opinion, those are unnecesary hyperboles. You obviously have a good knowledge of football, judging by your posts, but you know as well as I do that if you think about it long enough, you'd probably remember a worse game than this one. (I thought USA - England wasn't nearly as bad as France - Uruguay and SFA - Mexico for example.)

But anyway; it's once again clear that England really don't have a concrete gameplan. They seem to try and overpower their opponents and hope for the occasional touches of genius by some of their players. The fact that Capello still hasn't decided about his first eleven players doesn't help either. The players won't get a good feeling for each other if Milner, Green, SWP, King and probably some other are constantly being switched around. They are a strong, if somewhat unspectacular team which will be hard to beat. But while they probably won't fail horribly, I don't see them succeed spectacularly.

I think the main problem for England is their overabundance of players who like to run with the ball at their feet. In Holland we call that 'playing the mailman', because players like that walk up to eachother to deliver the ball, instead of passing it. Amazing players like Gerrard, Lampard and Lennon thrive in their own teams, that know how to play to their strenghts, but they fall apart on the international stage. They just keep running into eachother instead of creating room for other players. Rooney is the only exception. Any thoughts?

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The funny thing is that if Green had saved Dempsey's shot, but let Altidore's get through, the game would have ended exactly the same, but Green wouldn't be bearing any sort of blame.

20. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I nearly kicked a puppy when I read Heskey was in the starting line-up, although he didn't do too badly, providing the through-ball for Gerrard's goal and generally making a nuisance of himself. I think he might be very effective against the Algerians, who I'm certain will be out in the first round if Robert Koren's Slovenia fuck them up.