Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sherwood, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This guy is ridiculous and hurting the integrity of your league. You CAN not vote against a trade because it is not good for your team. You can only veto a trade if:

1. It's ridiculously and obviously unfair
    2. Or you suspect a guy is in cahoots with the other Manager and doing something sneaky.
    3. It's towards the end of the year and a team doesn't give a shit so they try some crazy trade and give a team Albert P, for a bunch of gambles

4. KEEPER LEAGUE ONLY- an end of the year trade that is lopsided because the guy know's he can't make the playoffs so he trades his whole team for a keeper.

I had something similar to this in a football league years ago and we had the same bullshit problem some dickless douche votes no on a trade because "it strengthens his division" trades are a fun part of the game don't let this asshole ruin it for you guys.

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just as a quick follow up, this was his response to me, copied and pasted from his post on the league's message board:

Basically, his panties are in a bunch because a few people in the league posted that his reasoning was silly (basically along the lines of what was said here) and he got all butthurt.

For the record, this is the most overly-competitive d-bag I've ever known. If it were up to me, they wouldn't let him come back for football (which is basically the same guys) or for next year, but unfortunately, he has something that won't allow that to happen:

He works with/is the boss of a lot of guys in the league.

This was a work league for my old job, and this asshole has the ability to make everyone's life difficult if they don't agree with him. He is mostly pissed because I don't work for him anymore, so I can talk back with impunity. He isn't used to being called out on being an idiot.

3. Riggins

Riggins
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

What I've come to learn from my years of playing fantasy -- 10+ as a player and commissioner -- is you let things go through. As long as it's not something shady (I'll trade you Player X for Player Y on the understanding we trade back in 2 weeks), you let things o through. The Fantasy Gods have a way of making things work out. The trade you make in April that looks lopsided, doesn't always work out in the end. People get hurt, trades get made, etc. I've never once vetoed a trade, and doubt I ever will. From keeper to one year leagues, let the trades happen. Should you not like the watcthings happen during the course of the year -- don't play with those people next year. Seems simple enough to me. I've played with the same basic guys for all my years, and when someone pulled something "shady" ... He just wasn't invited back.

4. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I am pretty knowledgeable it baseball and in Fantasy Sports. Therefore I can not understand why I continue to get killed in fantasy. I'm in a ten team league (head to head, compete in 12 category's) and with the exception of one week continue to get smoked. I have already used nine add-drops and I only have 25. I really do not know what else to do, I know it's a long season but I have to be careful not to fall to far behind.

First Place is 40-26-6 and I'm 28-40-4, 13 games back. I lose mainly in runs and stolen bases which I knew would be an issue but mainly my opponent has monster weeks. ANY advice would be appreciated, unless your an idiot and tell me to trade Tori Hunter for AP or something dumb like that..................

My Squad:
    Iván Rodríguez
    1B
    James Loney
    2B
    Chase Utley
    3B
    Ryan Zimmerman
    SS
    Troy Tulowitzki
    OF
    Torii Hunter
    OF
    Austin Jackson
    OF
    Jason Bay
    Util
    Vladimir Guerrero
    BN
    Carlos Peña
    BN
    Andre Ethier
    Ryan Theriot
    DL
    Kurt Suzuki

PITCHING:
    Adam Wainwright
    SP
    Ricky Romero
    SP
    Justin Verlander
    SP
    Brad Penny
    RP
    Heath Bell
    P
    Matt Capps
    Colby Lewis- (bench)

5. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I would say trade Loney for outfield help and keep Pena at 1st. There is always a team who needs a corner infielder (i.e. the guy who drafted Derrick Lee) and you might be able to get a Shin Soo-Shu type for Loney.

6. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Assuming you didn't drop Suzuki or Iván Rodríguez when Suzuki came off the DL, I'd suggest trying to move one of them to a team desperate for catcher help. In my experience, there are very few decent catchers, so there will likely be a few teams where Suzuki or Pudge will be an upgrade. Try to trade for someone like Podsednik or someone like that, if you really need SB help. You've also got Theriot on your bench, and you might be able to move him to someone who needs middle infield help (which, with Tulo and Utley, you have covered) for an outfielder who will get you some runs.

I find the best option is look for batting average. Guys with high average will get on base and get you some runs. That, of course, is just my philosophy, everyone plays differently. To me, however, your best trade bait right now is Iván Rodríguez and/or Theriot, and look for guys that aren't necessarily power hitters, but are high average. The runs will come with that.

7. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well,

I have awesome news. We had two scofflaws who never payed. Shockingly one of them was 555Deal from the old board who was fucking commissioner last year. I tried chasing both of them down over the last few weeks, but now that we're in the playoffs, and they both missed, it's too late.

So there goes the pay structure.

We have 1k to split I think this is the fairest way

100 to the 1st place finisher (AWard)
    100 to third place
    200 (was 300) to 2nd place
    600 (was 700) to first place

8. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I agree that this is fair and the structure has my vote.

I cannot believe that 555Deal bailed. Who was the other deadbeat? Need to make sure they're barred from next year's league (though that would take incredible balls to try to join a league you skipped out the previous year).

Sidenote: Our resident female team owner made the playoffs and is giving me a run for my money this week. What would be the equivalent of the defending champ getting knocked out of the first round by a girl?

9. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, that really sucks. I ended up 11th (Fucking injuries). But that sounds fair for the payout.

Chater has a good system for the football league, you don't get the password till you pay.

10. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sounds fair enough to me too. Is this some kind of tradition for us? I believe it was 2 deadbeats last year as well.

11. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[quote="atcmh"Sounds fair enough to me too. Is this some kind of tradition for us? I believe it was 2 deadbeats last year as well.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. The problem with baseball is that it's hard to find people willing to put in the time and effort to do it. So you find people and just hope they pay.

At any rate. Congrats to me on my awesome comeback win last week, beating the dude who was in my fantasy hockey league.

This week in the semifinals, I take on number 1 DC Power Elites, who should just tank the week since he already won $100 for finishing first overall, right my friend? Right?

And in the other match, we have the founder of the original RMMB fantasy league, Kinsey taking on The Chairman.

Winners are guaranteed money for finishing 1-2, losers fight it out to determine 3rd place.

LET'S DO DIS THING

12. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Apologies for the late reply, I'm fine w. that payout structure as well.

In keeping with tradition, I'm looking forward to a complete collapse from my squad the week before I'd secure some cash.

13. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is the second straight year I find myself in the semifinals. Usually this is when my reliance on vagabonds and rookies in my rotation hurts me.

Dillon Gee managed to crush the Bucs yesterday, so I predict Kyle Drabeck getting absolutely decimated by the O's tomorrow. And I'm still fucking starting him.

14. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I don't have my best pitcher, Jared Weaver, in today because ESPN had their Probable Starters crossed up. Also I'm without Josh Hamilton, so it's going to be intersering.

15. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What? He only threw 7 1H innings with 7Ks. Yikes. I got lucky on that one.

As far as Josh Hamilton goes... that was a risk you knew you were taking when you traded for him. Meanwhile, Ryan Braun chose this week to remember that he's supposed to be an elite ballplayer and David "Seriously? David Murphy?" Murphy continues to hit for reasons I can't even fathom.

And Pablo Sandoval...

JESUS CHRIST YOU SUCK.

I should drop him so one of you three picks him up. He'll sabotage you too. Come back Nick Swisher, please?

16. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Also, Clayton Richard can kindly get fucked. His performance today was awful. The only saving grace is that all the damage was done by Tulo and Carlos Gonzalez. Such a bittersweet game.

17. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Tulowitzki has had one of the best two-week stretches in fantasy baseball history; I really don't think you have room to complain if this prodigal saint (CarGo being the 2nd best player in that time; and the best overall player in fantasy period) is on your team during these playoff weeks!

I'm a little bitter. Tulo's random explosion of pure awesomeness single-handedly took out my vastly superior team and has me fighting for 3rd in my league right now.

First year playing fantasy baseball for me, and it's a little too fickle (week by week) for me. The variation is just way too high, which makes it pretty steep on the luck scale. Fantasy basketball (ending the week before NBA's final weak) is still #1 from a skill standpoint IMO.

18. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Tulowitzki is absolutely crushing it, I'm just glad he has a day off today b/c I know it's the only day this week he won't hit a HR. I'm trying to hold onto those pitching categories and sneak out R or SB this week, my team just can't hit the longball for some reason. Looking at the .220, they can't hit much of anything else either.

19. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

David Murphy can not be stopped. You can attempt to contain David Murphy. But all attempts to do so will be met with death.

4/9 3 2 6 1 .444

20. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oops. I think it was this post that did it. I clearly angered the Fantasy Baseball gods, the only explination for me have 4 starters shit the bed, including Latos giving me 8 ER in 1.1 innings.

In a matter of a night I went from being up 8-1-1 to being tied 5-5. Jesus.