Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sherwood, Feb 8, 2010.

1. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Agreed

2. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

League is full thanks to a guy in my fantasy hockey keeper league.

It's on bitches. I sent out an e-mail last night explaining how to pay.

All your pitchers are belong to me!

3. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I forgot to mention, I put a transaction limit of 100 on there. We had 80 last year and it had to be fucked with by the end of the season. I'm kinda iffy on this, so let me know.

But on the plus side, counting me half the people have paid already. Woohoo!

4. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody have a draft yet? Two of my buddies had one and they shocked me by saying AP was taken one overall in both drafts.

I'm not retarded obviously I know he's going in the top three but I really thought Joe Mauer might go 1 because of poor the other catchers in the league are.

I'm pretty sure Hanley Ramirez has been the top pick two years running in our league, simply because of the tremendous lack of talent at SS.

Even with the emergence of some strong 2b/ss I still like Mauer and Utley in the top spots because they are so much better than EVERYONE else in there position. Al is a machine we all know that but i had Prince Fielder last year and he did just fine. First base is a much deeper position.

Thoughts?

5. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Normally I would be unwilling to give up my draft strategy in advance of the draft, but in this case I think we make an exception.

Albert Pujols is the best player in baseball. Albert Pujols is no. 1.

Fat Albert's OPS last year was 1.101. That's FUCKING DOWN from his OPS of 1.114 in '08. The man is a hitting machine.

Also, I think VORP was the hot idea a few years ago, lately it's been all OPS, and the biggest Bill James stat is FIP.

That being said... if I get the first pick I'm taking Pujols and not looking back. But I'd prefer not to get the first pick because I realize his elbow is hanging on by a thread, and while he should be fine for this year, you never know when he's going to need TJ, you just know he's going to need it eventually, unless he retires first.

6. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I did a couple Yahoo Autodraft leagues last year and took him off my board completely because of his elbow.

7. 555deal

555deal
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

So this is the Canada to the previous America (RMMB) huh? Not bad. Not enough crazies though.

Is the above quote still true? We should have at least 12.

8. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh my god, he's back!

We're full at 12. So fucking pay me already.

We have 4 holdouts only.

9. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Without a doubt he is offensively the best player. What about the strategy of depth of position? That is the only reason I ask. (Remember I said AP HAS to go in the top three) I just have been thinking about it because of how much better Mauer is compared to the next catcher.

Truthfully I don't think you could go wrong picking AP number one...as long as he's healthy.

10. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you draft Hanley at 1 overall, you will not get one of the 5 best first basemen (AP, Prince, Howard, Miggy, Tex.)
    If you draft AP at 1 overall, you WILL get one of the top 5 shortstops (Hanley won't be, but Jeter, Rollins, Tulo and Reyes/Andrus could all be around by your next pick.

So really, for positional concerns you may be better off with fat albert at 1 overall.

11. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sherwood, how did we do on collecting payments pre-draft?

12. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know he said he only needed four more about 2 weeks ago. So the draft is tommorrow at 6:15 ET, correct?

13. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry kids.

We did really well collecting cash pre draft, all but 2 have paid, and one of the delinquents told me when he was going to pay me, so we're all gravy.

Just make sure everyone shows up to the draft. IT'S FUCKING DRAFT DAY, BITCHES.

14. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I started drinking after the second round and by the end I was drunk. I hope the first half of the team I drafted performs as expected and the second half performs as my drinking ass was thinking.

15. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I listened to you degenerates and drank until Bud Norris sounded good and "I'm the only one without a catcher, nobody is going to draft Kurt Suzuki" was great draft strategy.

16. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A guy in my draft got fucking Heyward in like the 7th round, right before I was going to take him. That will be HUGE for his team.

I just picked up Ricky Romero as well, I need some help with pitching because Verlander is stinking up the joint. By the way the Yahoo site sucks, we have had major issues and they do not seem very interested in helping.

17. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, so I have an etiquette question regarding a fantasy baseball league, and I figured I would ask your opinions, see if I am being a dick.

I've been in a league for 4 years. Last year, we were having issues because every single trade was vetoed. Every single one. It was almost impossible to get any kind of trade through without the league vetoing it. It started with one trade getting vetoed, and snowballed into everyone vetoing every trade just to be a dick.

To prevent that this year, the commissioner made trades commish reviewed, but said that he would listen, to valid protests, and that he'd give the league 24 hours to posit a valid protest.

So the first trade that was set in this league this year was Kelly Johnson for Alberto Callaspo. They were literally picked up off the waiver wire during week 1. One of the teams sent in a protest, and said that his protest was based entirely on the fact that he was facing the team getting Kelly Johnson, and that he felt it made his opponent better that week, so he wanted to veto the trade. This resulted in the trade being delayed for a couple of days, the two guys involved getting pissed that the same immature bullshit that happened last year was happening again, and the commissioner making a post asking, simply, our opinion on how trades should be handled. I responded that, after last year, I felt that the trades should be commissioner reviewed, and that protesting a trade on the grounds of 'it makes another team better' is fucking stupid, as that is the point of a trade. My other point was that it had become clear that some people were too immature to be given the power to veto trades, which was why the commissioner should review everything (and for the record, the commissioner of this league is easily one of the most fair and level headed guys I know).

The guy who protested posted a long winded rant about how its his right to protest every single trade that he isn't involved in, and how he feels that he was totally in the right because it was against him and it made his opponent better, so he had a legit right to protest.

My question is this: are there other people that agree with this guy? Do people have a right to veto/protest a trade just to keep teams from getting better? I've always felt that the whole point of vetos and protests was to stop trades that were clearly one-sided (i.e. trading Tim Lincecum for Jason Marquis) or showed some signs of collusion or other bullshit. Am I in the wrong, here?

18. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

No, the guy is an immature dick who is very obviously a sore loser. I have been playing fantasy baseball for over 10 years and vetoed 1 trade in that time when the person in last place was trying to give away his best player cause he was losing.

I wouldn't play with people who veto a trade involving two shitty waiver wire pickups.

19. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I agree with Zyron. There must have been 50 trades in our league last year and I don't think a single one was vetoed. You're absolutely right that the point of vetoes is simply to stop completely lopsided trades like the example you cited. The other guy in your league can bitch all he wants about every trade proposal if he'd like - just ignore him and let the trade go through. If your league continues to reject Kelly Johnson for Alberto Callaspo deals, time to find another league.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Thanks. Its just good to know that I'm not completely insane. I started thinking I was being too big of a dick about it, but clearly, people agree he is being a tool. Just wanted to be sure. Appreciate it.