Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010 Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Sherwood, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One of my favorite things to come out of the old board was the Fantasy Baseball League. I've seen Kinsey kicking around here, I'm not sure about guys like 555Deal and others who took place in the last leagues, but I'd love to get a league going here if we can get the interest.

1 year league
    12 teams minimum, 14 teams max
    Probably ESPN, they're baseball content is MUCH better than Yahoo's
    I would also PREFER $100, though if we can only get people at $50 we'll have to do that.

I'm starting in on this early to try and drum up a groundswell of membership. Let me know if you're interested. Not only will I take on the pain in the ass commissioner duties, but I'll take charge of the money too.

2. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

If we can get the requisite number of people, I'm in at $50 or $100. Gotta defend my title.

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am interested. What is the difference between ESPN and Yahoo? I have never tried ESPN, always stuck with Yahoo.

4. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

ESPN's live scoring tracker is MUCH better. CBS Sportsline actually has the best, but it costs $180 and, well, fuck that.

5. erk33

erk33
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What makes it so much better? Yahoo's StatTracker is free now, and I've had no problems with it.

6. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ok, well, I have no problems with the $10 bill in my pocket, doesn't mean I wouldn't trade it for a $20.

ESPN also has better coverage, more/better columnists. and their free agent pool has a lot more data available. I do a long term super deep hockey keeper league with Yahoo and they just don't offer enough info.

But is that REALLY important? Are you in for $100? $50? BASEBALL!

7. manihack

manihack
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm more of a fantasy football guy, but if you were playing for 50 bucks and needed another guy to fill out the league I'd put in the work and play.

8. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

Damn 50 or 100 are really a lot of money. Can I propose a recession league with a buy-in of 20?

Gambling this much on something so risky is hard for me. I am pretty damn good at fantasy baseball but you can never be anywhere close to sure with these things. Case in point, I have been in this one league for 6 years now. First year I came in 2nd, then 4th, then 1st 3 years in a row. Then last year I came in last. 12 teams each time. Ridiculous.

9. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has to be at least $50 to keep interest. I prefer $100 so that the winner actually get's something.

10. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm in again if we do it. $100 sounds about right to me. Do we have any idea who the deadbeats were from last year? I kind of doubt they came over, but I don't want any punkasses who just love to draft.

11. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's a great question, but I have no idea. I'm going to have to try and figure out how to get in touch with 555deal, hopefully Kinsey stumbles back here...

So far we have:

Me
    atcmh (which team were you last year?)
    The Chairman
    manihack (if we do $50)
    zyron

We cleary need more than 5 people... I'm gonna try and get in touch with people from last year.

12. ryan mc

ryan mc
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.themoneylinejournal.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.themoneylinejournal.com/forum</a> could help sherwood.

13. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm down, I'd prefer $100 but I don't have a problem w. $50 if it gets us enough teams. I prefer ESPN to Yahoo, but it wouldn't make a difference either way.

Anyone else have interest in doing an auction draft as opposed to snake? ESPN's (and yahoo's this year) platforms allow for it so there's not much legwork, but I can see how people who haven't done them before might be intimidated, just throwing it out there.

14. The Chairman

The Chairman
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I just PMed Sherwood with 555Deal's email address. He can also go into the league info from last year and send emails to all of the other members.

I think I'd prefer a snake draft as opposed to auction, but that's solely because I've never done auction before. But if the consensus is to go the auction route, I have no problem doing that.

I agree with Kinsey and Sherwood on the other things - $100 and ESPN is preferable. $50 is cool if that's what it takes to fill the league.

15. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually beat you to it, Chairman. I e-mailed 555 and heard back from him, he's in too.

Kinsey, I'm also going to have to go snake draft, just because I've never done an auction either. I'm thinking about doing a free auction league this year just to check it out, so maybe next year.

Me
    atcmh (which team were you last year?)
    The Chairman
    manihack (if we do $50)
    zyron
    Kinsey
    The artist formally known as 555Deal
    SMUGolfer

8 Guys, we have 4-6 spots left.

16. brendan

brendan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Fellas, I played last year (smalls on the old board) and you can count me in for $100.

I've been looking forward to this for months. Months. It's part of the reason I made the leap to this board.

17. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All right! Up to 9 now. I can feel it coming, boys. Everyone who wants to play, could you PM me your e-mail address? I'm going to set up an ESPN league.

My excitement was just mitigated when I realized that the draft I scheduled won't take place for another 2 months... whaaaatever.

And no worries about the draft day and time yet, fellas. I scheduled it for Sunday, April 11th and 6pm Eastern, but that's flexible.

Standard H2H Categories, just like last year.

not sure exactly what the roster was last year, but I did

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, 4OF Slots, 8 Ps 4 Bench spots, 2IR slots,

18. Kinsey

Kinsey
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I know that's just a default date, but as a head's up Opening Day's the 4th. I'd prefer a weekend draft if we could all agree on a date, if not then a late-evening, although Tuesdays are a definite no-go for me through the end of March.

We had this plus a Util & another P slot.

19. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shit, there is a Util spot, forgot about that.

And that was stupid of me to schedule it then... Just rescheduled it for Sun March 28th at 6:15. I'd have made it the 21st but i can't do it that night.

Going to add in another pitcher spot also.

20. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

OK Everyone.

Looks like we're up to 9 guys, we have three open slots left at $100.

Draft is set for March 28th as of right now, but can be moved back if need be.

Who else is in? Anyone already in know someone who might want to play? Kinsey, can you get in touch with anyone from the old board who may want to play? GC or Moneyline? The guys who skipped last years league?