Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

2010-2011 NBA Regular Season

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Parker, Oct 26, 2010.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

After a horrible 16 point loss on their home court to the .500 Pacers, dropping them to 8-6, I think there is some genuine cause for concern for the Heat. Yeah, it's still early, and they will win a bunch of games, but now I'm starting to have doubts about whether they will even crack 60 victories, and whether they are even the heavy favorites in the East anymore.

The coaching has just been disastrous, in terms of having the guys understand their individual roles, when to run the proper offensive schemes, and overall energy and focus.

2. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's because they're trying to have 3 guys play 5 roles. Lebron is mostly playing point, but he's they're best defensive player, so they can't afford to have him guarding the other team's point guard. This means they have someone who can guard a point guard in there playing the 3 on offense, which makes them even smaller inside. I don't even know what Bosh's role is supposed to be. The obvious choice would be to run the high pick-and-pop, but they seem more interested in doing that with Z instead.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Miami has no center. Now Dampier is on his way, and I've never really heard anyone say "Dampier is good as hell." So I'm not sure where they are going. They're ability to win how many games is obviously dependent on how long Eric stays coach. Not because its Eric's fault, its is because of bitch tits LeBron James. "We're not having fun." Says fucking LeBron James.

Wade, LeBron, I think they need couples counseling. This shit should have been going already. There is no excuse for these two being completely useless when they are both on the floor. Maybe friends shouldn't play together. I've been friends with a guy for 15 years, and I know for sure that we can't work together or be roommates. Maybe its the same shit for the three.

Then again, it is fucking retarded how the media is acting like they're 5 games away from missing the playoffs. Come the fuck on.

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just saw Yahoo with this today. Does anyone buy into him bumping into this coach meaning anything?

<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-LeBron-James-bumps-his-coach-again?urn=nba-289728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-289728</a>

5. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would hope that Lebron would realize that no matter how big his ego gets, Riley could trade him to Minnesota if he gets pissed off enough, and Lebron would either have to play for them or sit out six years. The Heat could easily build a more traditional championship contender with what they get in a possible trade for Lebron.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I feel like Riley knows that they have no point guard or center, so he's not going move Eric out until they get real players. I bet he's going to go to that locker room and give them a piece of his mind if they keep this shit up for sure. Eric is going to have to lay the smack down or something.

7. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Jerry Sloan was bumped by a couple of guys in his years of coaching, although he reacted by angrily shoving the offending player. It's certainly not typical, but also not surprising, since James has been bizarrely moody and sullen on the Heat so far.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If you like the NBA and you are not watching the Thunder, shame on you. Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant are an absolute pleasure to watch. I have always loved Durant (he was stud in Texas) and you heard a lot about him while he played for Team USA, but Westbrook has been going a little unnoticed and he's awesome.

He held his own last night against Chris Paul who is one of the best true point guards in the league. I'm enjoying the changing of the guard, these guys have a long way before their Kobe but I think we will see the Thunder in post season play the next couple of years.

9. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Shame on you for comparing anyone to Kobe. Then again, we as fans do it all the time. These guys are who they are. Durant is not the next Kobe. He's the next Kevin Fucking Durant. I can't see their games because I'm in Chicago. I watch them when I can, but that team needs one more thing, a center. I don't see them getting past the Lakers or San Antonio this year.

I hate the Spurs more than any other team in the league because they are boring as fuck BUT Popovich is being the Belichick of the NBA right now. Let me get a bunch of old guys, and a bunch of no-name new guys and create a championship team. Here we go.

Can't wait to see where Paul goes in a couple years, he needs help. His situation sucks. He's slowly building up a little hate in his play which is making him god-like though.

10. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not comparing anyone to Kobe. When I say becoming the next Kobe I simply mean the next premier players in the league. LeBron has obviously arrived but many stars are on their way out, Durant and Westbrook are on their way in. That's all.

11. T W

T W
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

^League has no shortage of elite up and coming or prime talent right now. Other than the center position, it's as stacked as its ever been; just looking at guys 25 or younger: John Wall, Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, Russel Westbrook (he's definitely amazing, though as a big-time Thunder follower for the past 2 years even though they're not my team, I have to say that he needs to tone down the scoring a bit this season. His dominance is taking over the flow of the game, while the best player on the team is not getting the right feel of the offense and is suffering as a result), Chris Paul (yes, this monster is still only 25), Rajon Rondo (15 apg? Sure.), Dwight Howard, Steph Curry, Josh Smith, Brook Lopez, Derrick Rose, etc etc. Then there's the guys like Melo (though overrated to me due to his weak D and mediocre efficiency), Lebron and Deron Williams who just missed the cut.

Bottom line, the league is STACKED with young talent for years to come. But the team that is impressing me most right now is an older one; San Antonio. They're finally starting Ginobili (who when healthy, is as good as any SG in the league offensively), TP is in prime form, Duncan can still hold it down (3rd trip-dub of his career tonight!), and their young bench is pretty dynamic. If they can remain healthy, I'll never rule that team out of contention.

Lakers get Bynum back soon, though. That will release Pau to his standard PF role (alleviating a huge boulder off of him both minutes and matchup wise) and launch them back to the top of the west.

12. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, Mike Ness's comments are totally valid. He wasn't saying anyone was as good as Kobe or has accomplished as much yet, only that they're achieving an elite status in the league. Besides, right now, at this very moment, Durant IS better than Kobe.

In fact, Durant might be the best player in the league right now. He's not as great, and hasn't accomplished even a fiftieth of what Kobe has, but in terms of pure playing ability, there is no one strictly better.

All good picks, with the exception of Brook Lopez. He's not that good; Brook is one of the worst rebounding centers in the league, which is indefensible considering his height, weight, and age. He is presently averaging 6.2 rebounds in 35.3 minutes at the center spot, while standing 7 feet tall.

Kris Humphries, a member of the same team, is averaging 8.3 rebounds in only 23.6 minutes at the POWER FORWARD spot, while standing 6' 9".

Also, Lopez's defense is mediocre; he is a very good shot-blocker, but often does a poor job helping out, and gets beaten on the boards and in the paint. On the offensive end, he averages 18-19 ppg on poor shooting percentages for a big man. (Less than 50% the last two years, down to 45.3 so far this season) On the plus side, he does get to the free throw line a lot. He is an average passer, with an average turnover rate.

Lopez is one of the top 15, probably even top 10 centers in the league, but nowhere close to the level of the other guys you mentioned, who are are all top 5 at their positions, if not top 20 NBA players overall.

On a related note, Blake Griffin is absolutely insane. I thought the comparisons to a young Karl Malone were absurd, but having watched him a fair bit now...they're not. His mix of athleticism, speed, and strength is awe-inspiring. If, like the Mailman, he develops a reliable outside jumper, he could be a top 5 player for years to come.

I'm not sure that Bynum is going to help them that much. Pau presents some unique match-up problems for opposing centers that Bnyum won't, and it allows Odom to play more 4, where he has been terrific so far this season. Also, Bynum has been riddled with injuries, and his play has regressed at times.

I know they won't do this, but if I were the Lakers, I would let Bynum play more for another month and a half, get stats, and then trade him for a solid swingman or point guard plus future assets.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh no, I think I came off wrong up there. When I said he's going to be the next Kevin Fucking Durant, I mean he's going to be THE Kevin Fucking Durant. He is going to be a beast. Definitely one of the best out there. What I was trying to say was that he's not going to be like any other player, he's going to be a new great, not mirroring anyone else: MJ, Kobe or anyone. Once the old guard dies off (Kobe, Celtic's 3, Duncan) he's going to run the NBA.

And when I say "He's going to be a beast." I mean he needs more experience. The raw talent is there, and the physical ability is there, but young doesn't win in the NBA as Marc Stein says. He will be on that level once he develops some of that coach on the floor thinking I don't think he has yet.

I sorta agree with KIMaster about Bynum. They're doing really well without him. BUT they might need him in the finals against the Celtics unless this Caracter character turns out to be a diamond in the rough beast. Pau can't go against 2 O'Neals, a Big Baby and a Garnett 7 games again.

I'm really excited about the Bulls v. Lakers tonight, and of course tomorrow Heat v. Cavs. LeBron really wants his Jersey retired in Cleveland. Does he think there are any left after the bonfires?

14. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't get this. He is already a top 5 player, maybe even the best. If he is not YET a "beast", then who in the NBA is? Name me 5 guys you would want more on your team this season than Durant. You can't.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow nights game in Cleveland? The talking heads on ESPN are predicting LeBron will go for 50. I'm thinking he's going to force it and drop an 7 for 23 shooting night.

What's the over-under on fans being thrown out and/or arrested?

Predictions?

16. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure why they put a ban on anti-Lebron signs. That makes no sense.

17. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Have you guys seen this?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-9sSKa0RA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep-9sSKa0RA</a>

Would love it if they would hand out black and white t-shirts to spell "Quitness" in the seats.

18. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't like that spoof at all; it's very childish, and makes Cleveland fans sound like whiny, bitter cunts. That being said, I LOVE this one;

Now THAT is how you call out an athlete. And with nothing more than a simple mash-up, not some actors saying lines.

#98 KIMaster, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Rob4Broncos

Rob4Broncos
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Unless someone was unbelievably stupid and left a smoking gun, I'm not sure how they will prove anything. Did tampering occur? Almost definitely. But considering that "tampering" has to be very specific; "LeBron, we want you to come play for Miami when your contract is up in 2010" instead of "LeBron, it sure would be cool be if we could play together" or "LeBron, it sure would be cool to have you in Miami one day!", it's monumentally difficult to prove.

In more interesting news, how awesome was Blake Griffin tonight against the Spurs? 14-21, 31 pts, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, with 2 steals and a block. He just ripped through the Spurs' interior defense, not an easy thing to do, even when San Antonio is on the second night of a back-to-back.